Serial link is not 8-bit clean ??????

Post by The Evil On » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

i am trying to connect my box at home (netbsd 1.1 running pppd 2.2) to
my ISP via PPP, but i keep getting the following

Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ty00
Modem hangup
Serial link is not 8-bit clean:
All received characters had bit 7 set to 0

what the heck does this mean? how can i fix it? thanx!

Serial link is not 8-bit clean ??????

Post by Jaap Looij » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>i am trying to connect my box at home (netbsd 1.1 running pppd 2.2) to
>my ISP via PPP, but i keep getting the following

>Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ty00
>Modem hangup
>Serial link is not 8-bit clean:
>All received characters had bit 7 set to 0

>what the heck does this mean? how can i fix it? thanx!

I have the same ( linux 2.0.25 pppd 2.2 )
Ans ofcourse i have the same questions !

Post by Stephen J. Perki » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >i am trying to connect my box at home (netbsd 1.1 running pppd 2.2) to
> >my ISP via PPP, but i keep getting the following

> >Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ty00
> >Modem hangup
> >Serial link is not 8-bit clean:
> >All received characters had bit 7 set to 0

> >what the heck does this mean? how can i fix it? thanx!

> I have the same ( linux 2.0.25 pppd 2.2 )
> Ans ofcourse i have the same questions !

Check out:

http://www.thoughtport.com:8080/PPP/NeXT_PPP_FAQ.html#EightBitClean

While this is NeXT specific, it probably answers your question.

Hope this helps.

- Steve

Dept. of Comp. Science          |  NeXT, MIME, finger for PGP
Michigan State University       |  NeXT OS 3.3 using PPP-2.3
 NeXT PPP-2.3 info at  http://www.thoughtport.com:8080/PPP/

Post by Yitzhac Casa » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: i am trying to connect my box at home (netbsd 1.1 running pppd 2.2) to
: my ISP via PPP, but i keep getting the following

: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ty00
: Modem hangup
: Serial link is not 8-bit clean:
: All received characters had bit 7 set to 0

This means that your line doesn't correctly transfer all characters. For
characters greater that ASCII 127, whose most significant bit (bit 7) is
set to 1, namely ASCII 128 (80 hex) through ASCII 255 (FF hex), it sets
bit 7 to 0 automatically. Unfortunately, PPP can't run over such lines.
Apparently, you're running PPP over a connection that wasn't meant to
support PPP, like I do. However, most terminal servers, even those which
don't specifically sdupport PPP, can be configured to give you an 8-bit
line (so they could be used with charcter sets that include letters whose
ASCII values are greater than 127). You should find out how to set-up your
line appropriately. Just ask your site's administrators how to set-up an
8-bit connection, Preferrably 8-bit clean (the difference between 8-bit
clean and plain 8-bit is, that an 8-bit clean line doesn't modify any
characters at all, while a plain 8-bit line might cause trouble with
control charcters, meaning ASCII 0 through 31, but PPP can handle that).

--
Yours
    Yitzhac Casapu

Serial link is not 8-bit clean ??????

Post by David Wooll » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Serial link is not 8-bit clean:
>All received characters had bit 7 set to 0

>what the heck does this mean? how can i fix it? thanx!

This must be the number one FAQ.

Either your connection is losing the top bit on every character, or
more likely the other end of the link isn't running PPP (e.g. it is
still waiting for you to complete a conventional login sequence).

--

(Sending any email to this site constitutes a licence to copy it to any
company which might reasonably be assumed to have transported it or

Post by Jaap Looij » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>Serial link is not 8-bit clean:
>>All received characters had bit 7 set to 0

>>what the heck does this mean? how can i fix it? thanx!

>This must be the number one FAQ.

>Either your connection is losing the top bit on every character, or
>more likely the other end of the link isn't running PPP (e.g. it is
>still waiting for you to complete a conventional login sequence).

And that was exactly the problem, a wrong login sequence ( shame shame
)

Post by Peter Flyn » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> >Serial link is not 8-bit clean:
> >All received characters had bit 7 set to 0

> >what the heck does this mean? how can i fix it? thanx!

> This must be the number one FAQ.

Right :-)

Quote:> Either your connection is losing the top bit on every character, or
> more likely the other end of the link isn't running PPP (e.g. it is
> still waiting for you to complete a conventional login sequence).

Wrong answer? The most likely reason for the serial link not being
8-bit is that the modem (either or both ends) and/or the login
controller (eg gettty if this refers to a UNIX system) is not set
for 8 data bits. Try the modem configuration first.

///Peter
--
  <!ELEMENT FOO - o EMPTY -- if you really loved me, you'd give me
content

Post by Stephen J. Perki » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> > Either your connection is losing the top bit on every character, or
> > more likely the other end of the link isn't running PPP (e.g. it is
> > still waiting for you to complete a conventional login sequence).

> Wrong answer? The most likely reason for the serial link not being
> 8-bit is that the modem (either or both ends) and/or the login
> controller (eg gettty if this refers to a UNIX system) is not set
> for 8 data bits. Try the modem configuration first.

IMHO and experience it is the second above.  People will incorrectly make a
login chat script such that the remote PPP process never really starts.  The
local PPP then talks to the remote CLI and only sees ASCII characters (error
messages) comming across.

Post by David Wooll » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>> Either your connection is losing the top bit on every character, or
>> more likely the other end of the link isn't running PPP (e.g. it is
>> still waiting for you to complete a conventional login sequence).

>Wrong answer? The most likely reason for the serial link not being
>8-bit is that the modem (either or both ends) and/or the login

That's the most likely reason for the link not being 8 bit clean, but we
are not talking about that, we are talking about a particular error
message from pppd, which is often misleading.

Quote:>controller (eg gettty if this refers to a UNIX system) is not set
>for 8 data bits. Try the modem configuration first.

The only time this has ever happened to me was because PPP hadn't
started.  What happens is that people try to do  a pure PPP connect
to a system that requires a conventional login, or they miss out a step,
often a protocol prompt.  Often during the login sequence, the remote
side strips the 8th bit, so that it doesn't have to worry about the
parity of the the terminal, and it echos all the data and prompts
with bit 8 clear.

PPP (free PPP) then reports an LCP timeout sending configure requests,
which people tend to forget to report, and then adds a note that all
the data was 7 bit.

It is possible that most people get this because of really not having an
8 bit clean path, but I would suggest that that is not actually very
common in the typical case of calling an ISP (other cases tend to be
handled by local network support people).  I'd also suggest that where
it is a genuine 7 bit channel, the user is likely to resolve the
problemn and not ask.  They really start asking when the error message
is misleading. The result of this is that, when this question gets asked
on USENET, the most likely cause is a failed conventional login.
--

Post by Simon H » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> PPP (free PPP) then reports an LCP timeout sending configure requests,
> which people tend to forget to report, and then adds a note that all
> the data was 7 bit.

Right now I'm suffering from the same problem.

Quote:> on USENET, the most likely cause is a failed conventional login.

But I have used my ppp conection for a long time with same configuraion.
Recently I changed my ISP but the new ISP also uses 8-N-1 and they
support ppp-connection. So does my school. Both computer gives me
the same error message like the above. If there is something
that I have to check, please let me know.

Serial link is not 8-bit clean ??????

Post by Adrian Penal » Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I believe that if you are connecting to UNIX host through a modem you should include
the %c0 to the Init String, and either way it would be good to set your asyncmap to
FFFFFFFF and try to escape the CTRL characters 11 and 13.

1. Help: Serial Link not 8-bit clean!

Setup:
Redhat 6.1 with a Wavecom (GSM) modem.

If I use minicom to dial the remote ISP, everything works fine, a
connection is made, and the authentication works.

If I then use ppp with (ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer) scripts to dial the same
ISP, I get the following message in /var/log/messages

Serial connection established
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tty0
LCP: timeout sending
Connection Terminated
Recieve Serial Link is not 8-bit clean
Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
Hangup (signup)
Exit

Can anybody help solve this issue, I've seen similar postings before,
but there is not a clear solution.

thanks

Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. help with ibm internet dialer

3. Receive Serial Link is not 8-Bit Clean

4. mysql extremely slow

5. ppp connection(Serial link is not 8-bit clean)

6. GRAFITI & USENET

7. LCP problem (Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:)

8. A2410 graphics board 4 sale...

9. ???Serial link not 8-bit clean:

10. Help: Serial Link is not 8-bit clean

11. link is not 8-bit clean

12. Serial link is not 8 bit clean

13. PPP 2.1.2 sunos problem - Serial link not 8 bit clean!!