Seting up a PCMCIA Network Card in QNX

Post by Randy Stove » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Currently I have a 3Com 3CCE589ET and a Socket EA Lan PCMCIA card, but I
am unable to get them properly recognized by QNX.  QNX does not detect
the 3Com card at all and QNX gives an initialization error when I try to
set the Socket card up.  I am no means a QNX expert.  If someone can
give me a somewhat detailed instructions on setting up a PCMCIA lan card
on QNX, I would be grateful.

Thanks
Randy

Seting up a PCMCIA Network Card in QNX

Post by Dave Nickerso » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I use the Socket card.  First read the /etc/readme/pcmcia file that is part
of
your QNX4 installation.  Now modify your /etc/config/pcmcia.cfg or
pcmcia.node
file if you set one up.  You must specify the irq and port settings that are
available
on your machine, the file only has default ones.  For my laptop I left irq
7,10 and 11
as available(the others I knew were used by sound device, input devices or
IDE
devices),  the default ports I change only to accommodate a CompactFlash
device
also.  Now you can start the Pcmcia server, if you are short of irq's then
you
should start the sever using the '-i 0' option.

# Pcmcia.generic -i0 &

now with the network card inserted you should be able to run

# pin config >> /etc/config/pcmcia.cards

this will add an entry to the cards file that matches your card.  Modify the
entry
by editing the /etc/config/pcmcia.cards to remove the (width=16) from the
end of each line for that card.  The cards entry should be at the end of the
file, you
can move it to the beginning.

Now eject the card and enter

# pin files

Now insert the card.

You will see the card and its resources printed out.
You can now start the network drivers by ensuring that Net is running and
entering

# Net.ether1000 -vvvv &        note that these are multiple vee

If you have the resources right, then you should get no errors, if not then
you can try
changing the resources yourself or post the output generated by the
Net.ether.... line.

If you did get it right then you simply need to start
# Pcmcia.generic -i0 &
# Net &
# Net.ether1000 &
# netmap -f

in the future.

- Dave

>Currently I have a 3Com 3CCE589ET and a Socket EA Lan PCMCIA card, but I
>am unable to get them properly recognized by QNX.  QNX does not detect
>the 3Com card at all and QNX gives an initialization error when I try to
>set the Socket card up.  I am no means a QNX expert.  If someone can
>give me a somewhat detailed instructions on setting up a PCMCIA lan card
>on QNX, I would be grateful.

>Thanks
>Randy

1. SOCKET-EA PCMCIA Network card under QNX - using BNC

Hello,
We are using a Socket EA PCMCIA network Card in our Laptops to get access to QNXNet.
It has an adaptor for both a UTP and BNC and works great using UTP, however, I cannot get it to
recognise the BNC connector.
Under DOS there is a parameter that can be set in the NET.CFG file to tell the card that it should be
UTP or BNC however I cannot see how to do this under QNX.

Has anyone got this card running on a BNC network under QNX?
IF so I'd appreciate any tips you may be able to give me.

Regards
Ivan Vernot
4C Technology Pty. Ltd.

2. Announcing PSYCHE-D discussion group

3. PCMCIA (PC Card) Network card setup woes

4. Need help comparing MySQL to MS SQL Server

5. PCMCIA (PC-card) Ethernet Card for QNX 4.2x

6. PM 7200 -- a smoking deal, or what?

7. Networking problem- Pcmcia TPC/IP working but QNX Net doesn't

8. Need Help Configuring ScanJet Plus!

9. PCMCIA Network Card for NS ?

10. PCMCIA - Network Card and OPENSTEP 4.2

11. 3com pcmcia network cards

12. PCMCIA network card's ethernet address, how to get ?

13. To Kees J. Bot: Notebook network cards (PCMCIA probably).