QNX RTOS vs. QNX Neutrino

Post by Thomas Riedric » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

In a nutshell, what are the differences between QNX RTOS and QNX Neutrino?

Thanks, Thomas

QNX RTOS vs. QNX Neutrino

Post by Mitchell Schoenbru » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> In a nutshell, what are the differences between QNX RTOS and QNX Neutrino?

In a peanut shell,

QNX 4
        Older, more mature and possibly more stable
        QSSL insists that it will be well supported
        x86 only
        no SMP
        Some areas of support seem abandoned, ie Audio
        Fully working network
        Has excellent but now unsupported C compiler
        C++ has problems
        Embedable, but not as much support for as Neutrino

QNX/Neutrino
        Very new, may need some time to settle
        QSSL clearly putting in a lot of effort
        Multi-platform x86, PPC, Mips, rumor of StrongArm
                6months-1yr
        Supports SMP
        Full networking now?
        GNU compiler, Code Warrior coming?
        A lot of focus right now as an embedded solution,
                but designed as a general purpose OS, just
                like QNX 4.

QNX RTOS vs. QNX Neutrino

Post by Igor Kovalenk » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > In a nutshell, what are the differences between QNX RTOS and QNX Neutrino?

> In a peanut shell,

> QNX 4
>         Older, more mature and possibly more stable
>         QSSL insists that it will be well supported
>         x86 only
>         no SMP
>         Some areas of support seem abandoned, ie Audio

Rumors has it, they are backporting audio stuff from NTO.

- Igor

QNX RTOS vs. QNX Neutrino

Post by Mitchell Schoenbru » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Rumors has it, they are backporting audio stuff from NTO.

This would be quite wonderful.  I can't wait.

--

QNX RTOS vs. QNX Neutrino

Post by Igor Kovalenk » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > Rumors has it, they are backporting audio stuff from NTO.

> This would be quite wonderful.  I can't wait.

And their latest NTO drivers appears to follow the ALSA standard
(Advanced Linix Sound Architecture).

- Igor

QNX RTOS vs. QNX Neutrino

Post by Mitchell Schoenbru » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> And their latest NTO drivers appears to follow the ALSA standard
> (Advanced Linix Sound Architecture).

Do you know of a place to get a specification document?

--

QNX RTOS vs. QNX Neutrino

Post by pwaecht.. » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Previously, Mitchell Schoenbrun wrote in comp.os.qnx:

> > And their latest NTO drivers appears to follow the ALSA standard
> > (Advanced Linix Sound Architecture).

> Do you know of a place to get a specification document?

http://www.alsa-project.org/

QNX RTOS vs. QNX Neutrino

Post by Sam Robert » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

www.alsa-project.org

Previously, Mitchell Schoenbrun wrote in comp.os.qnx:

> > And their latest NTO drivers appears to follow the ALSA standard
> > (Advanced Linix Sound Architecture).

> Do you know of a place to get a specification document?

> --

"News is very popular among its readers." - RFC 977 (NNTP)