Transferring files

Post by Bill Faulkne » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

OK, here's one for everyone, should be simple, but I can't figure it out
in a quick manner. I've logged into a QNX machine through a serial port.
I now wish to transfer files accross this serial port (using zmodem or
some such protocol). How do I do this? I'm used to standard Unix systems
and using rz to start the zmodem receive, but this doesn't exist in QNX.

Can't use standard QNX networking (it doesn't exist on the target
system). I thought qtalk might be the answer, but it doesn't want to
work when you've logged in through the serial port (using tinit -T
/dev/ser1 ...).

I would prefer a standard QNX methodology, but if that doesn't exist,
I'd be willing to look at freeware stuff. (Worst comes to worst, I can
implement rz myself).

TIA
Bill Faulkner

--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Transferring files

Post by Bruce Edg » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

You can get sz/rz from quics in /usr/free, or, you can just use QNX's qcp
protocol.
With a default qtalk setup, start sending by doing "Ctrl-A s" and start
receiving with "Ctrl-A r".
You can edit the qtalk config to change the executables used for sending and
receiving to something other than qcp if you wish, but I've always had the
best success with qcp. rz and sz have been problematic on QNX, for me anyways.

-Bruce.

--

Sattel Global Networks          818.709.6201 x122

Transferring files

Post by Frank da Cr » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

: You can get sz/rz from quics in /usr/free, or, you can just use QNX's qcp
: protocol.
: With a default qtalk setup, start sending by doing "Ctrl-A s" and start
: receiving with "Ctrl-A r".
: You can edit the qtalk config to change the executables used for sending and
: receiving to something other than qcp if you wish, but I've always had the
: best success with qcp. rz and sz have been problematic on QNX, for me
: anyways.
:
There is also a fully functional, up-to-date, and supported version of Kermit
for QNX 4 and Neutrino:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

- Frank

Transferring files

Post by Sam Robert » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

This definitely sounds like a job for qtalk, a lot of people are
using it for *exactly* what you seem to be describing, maybe if
you gave some more info about why it isn't working somebody would
have some suggestions?

Sam

Previously, Bill Faulkner wrote in comp.os.qnx:

> OK, here's one for everyone, should be simple, but I can't figure it out
> in a quick manner. I've logged into a QNX machine through a serial port.
> I now wish to transfer files accross this serial port (using zmodem or
> some such protocol). How do I do this? I'm used to standard Unix systems
> and using rz to start the zmodem receive, but this doesn't exist in QNX.

> Can't use standard QNX networking (it doesn't exist on the target
> system). I thought qtalk might be the answer, but it doesn't want to
> work when you've logged in through the serial port (using tinit -T
> /dev/ser1 ...).

> I would prefer a standard QNX methodology, but if that doesn't exist,
> I'd be willing to look at freeware stuff. (Worst comes to worst, I can
> implement rz myself).

> TIA
> Bill Faulkner

> --

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

"News is very popular among its readers." - RFC 977 (NNTP)

Transferring files

Post by Bill Faulkne » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> This definitely sounds like a job for qtalk, a lot of people are
> using it for *exactly* what you seem to be describing, maybe if
> you gave some more info about why it isn't working somebody would
> have some suggestions?

> Sam

OK two problems here. I am logging in (using tinit) via the serial port
that I need to down load to, and you can't have qtalk talk to a serial
port already in use (there are a few ways around this, I know).

At this time a much bigger problem is the protocol to use for
downloading files. Zmodem is good and fine, but can't be used in a
commerical product unless one pays a royalty. qcp is fine, except its
for transferring files between QNX systems. In my case, one of the
systems is a PC running a flavor of windows. Now I am sure I could
either find or write a qcp client for windows, but standard windows
terminal emulation programs do not support qcp.

The idea was to have a maintance engineer connect his laptop (windows
machine) to the device (QNX) and be able to log in, perform various
diagnostic checks on the machine (programs residing and running on the
QNX box) and then have the option to download new code to the QNX box or
upload log files to the PC.

I'd like to be able to do this without writting a custom PC program (I
was planning on having the user use any terminal emulation software,
such as hyperterminal). I also didn't want to write a custom piece of
code for QNX that montitors and communicates with this serial port.
(hence, I was planning on using tinit, which would do the job). qtalk is
the not really useful, since it is essentially a terminal emulator in
itself. Two terminal emulation programs talking to each other is not
very useful.

The important things to remember is that this is not just file transfer
(although it is important), and that we have a QNX system talking to a
Windows system.

Overall, using zmodem protocol would probably be the easiest, it is a
bit costly for this application.

Post by Glenn Sherma » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

> > This definitely sounds like a job for qtalk, a lot of people are
> > using it for *exactly* what you seem to be describing, maybe if
> > you gave some more info about why it isn't working somebody would
> > have some suggestions?

> > Sam

> OK two problems here. I am logging in (using tinit) via the serial port
> that I need to down load to, and you can't have qtalk talk to a serial
> port already in use (there are a few ways around this, I know).

Why would you use qtalk on the machine that you were logging in to?
You would simply need to invoke qcp once you were logged in.

# qcp se <filename>

Although this would require that the computer that you were logging in from
had qcp capability.  If you happened to be calling out from a Qnx machine
using
qtalk for instance.

It sounds like you need to look at kermit.  If you install kermit on the Qnx
computer
that you are logging into, and you get Kermit95 for your windows computer -
you would simply log in and send the file as follows

# kermit -s <filename>

Kermit95 will receive the file and store it in your download directory (on
windows).

Quote:> The idea was to have a maintance engineer connect his laptop (windows
> machine) to the device (QNX) and be able to log in, perform various
> diagnostic checks on the machine (programs residing and running on the
> QNX box) and then have the option to download new code to the QNX box or
> upload log files to the PC.

Kermit is perfect for this.

-Glenn Sherman

Transferring files

Post by Sam Robert » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Ah. I don't remember you saying you were connecting from
a windows machine to a QNX one.

I think I'd look at using ppp, personally. It's a little
more work, but if you have a windows setup to connect
an authenticate via ppp to you qnx box over a direct
serial link, then you can ftp back and forth, telnet
in, etc...

Of course, you need tcp/ip on the QNX side...

Have you looked at kermit? I don't how it's licenced,
but I've heard it has a good scripting language,
support for both QNX and windows, should support
some kind of file transfer, and might work for you.

Good luck.
Sam

> > This definitely sounds like a job for qtalk, a lot of people are
> > using it for *exactly* what you seem to be describing, maybe if
> > you gave some more info about why it isn't working somebody would
> > have some suggestions?

> > Sam

> OK two problems here. I am logging in (using tinit) via the serial port
> that I need to down load to, and you can't have qtalk talk to a serial
> port already in use (there are a few ways around this, I know).

> At this time a much bigger problem is the protocol to use for
> downloading files. Zmodem is good and fine, but can't be used in a
> commerical product unless one pays a royalty. qcp is fine, except its
> for transferring files between QNX systems. In my case, one of the
> systems is a PC running a flavor of windows. Now I am sure I could
> either find or write a qcp client for windows, but standard windows
> terminal emulation programs do not support qcp.

> The idea was to have a maintance engineer connect his laptop (windows
> machine) to the device (QNX) and be able to log in, perform various
> diagnostic checks on the machine (programs residing and running on the
> QNX box) and then have the option to download new code to the QNX box or
> upload log files to the PC.

> I'd like to be able to do this without writting a custom PC program (I
> was planning on having the user use any terminal emulation software,
> such as hyperterminal). I also didn't want to write a custom piece of
> code for QNX that montitors and communicates with this serial port.
> (hence, I was planning on using tinit, which would do the job). qtalk is
> the not really useful, since it is essentially a terminal emulator in
> itself. Two terminal emulation programs talking to each other is not
> very useful.

> The important things to remember is that this is not just file transfer
> (although it is important), and that we have a QNX system talking to a
> Windows system.

> Overall, using zmodem protocol would probably be the easiest, it is a
> bit costly for this application.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Transferring files

Post by Frank da Cr » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

:

: > >...
[...]
You can find out all about Kermit at:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

You can download C-Kermit for QNX here:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

You can use any software on Windows you like, including Hyperterminal.
But you'll best results (and support) with Kermit 95:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html

which also (unlike Hyperterminal) includes QNX terminal emulation.

- Frank

Transferring files

Post by Richard R. Krame » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

> At this time a much bigger problem is the protocol to use for
> downloading files. Zmodem is good and fine, but can't be used in a
> commerical product unless one pays a royalty.

There is a GNU zmodem that works fine. It's called lrz/lsz.

Transferring files

Post by Paul Russel » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

I've set up for over direct serial and over a modem a ppp link from windows,
and then you can telnet and ftp over that link. Properly done you can
probably also use samba to
browse the drive, but I haven't had this work yet.
I set up the ppp by having the caller log in to a pppd account that runs ppp
and cleans up after the disconnect. That way you can log in directly if you
need to change the ppp configuration or just want a quick check without ftp
etc.
I've previously posted notes on setting up ppp and teraterm with all
required files. a search at deja news for (ppp teraterm) should get that
post. Else I can dig in my archives and send to you. Others probably don't
want it posted here yet again.

-Paul