pppd can't find DNS

pppd can't find DNS

Post by Walker Le » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00



Hi,

I've configured both ethernet and pppd to work.
Ahd the ethernet card works fine.

When I login by pppd, and I cat ping by IP address but no domain name.

I've checked the resolv.conf, and ping the DNS' IP,
they shows no problem.

But I can't use the domain name anyway.
Do you have any ideas?

Thanks for any pointers.

Walker

 
 
 

pppd can't find DNS

Post by Inge Vabek » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00


I'd like to re-install 'man' in my system because the program I
installed
a while ago doesn't work any more (can't find a configuration file with
a
corrupted name). I use QNX 4.24.

I try to do the install and have gotten all modules to compile except
one,
'glob.c'. The error is:
'glob.c(371): Error! E1031: Name 'd_stat' not found in struct/union
direct'

and I don't know what to do to correct this one without introducing some
other error.

I've forced the Makefile to use Watcom C 10.6, because it compiled with
a lot fewer errors than gcc.

Any ideas? Newer versions? (I have 1.4f).

--
*** Focus on QNX technology ***


 
 
 

pppd can't find DNS

Post by Peter Waechtle » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00



> I'd like to re-install 'man' in my system because the program I
> installed
> a while ago doesn't work any more (can't find a configuration file with
> a
> corrupted name). I use QNX 4.24.

> I try to do the install and have gotten all modules to compile except
> one,
> 'glob.c'. The error is:
> 'glob.c(371): Error! E1031: Name 'd_stat' not found in struct/union
> direct'

I think you have to configure the Makefile for QNX. Just guessing.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

pppd can't find DNS

Post by Peter Waechtle » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00



> I've configured both ethernet and pppd to work.
> Ahd the ethernet card works fine.

> When I login by pppd, and I cat ping by IP address but no domain name.

> I've checked the resolv.conf, and ping the DNS' IP,
> they shows no problem.

> But I can't use the domain name anyway.
> Do you have any ideas?

$ cat /etc/host.conf
order hosts bind
multi on

or vice versa (bind hosts)

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

pppd can't find DNS

Post by Inge Vabek » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00




>> 'glob.c'. The error is:
>> 'glob.c(371): Error! E1031: Name 'd_stat' not found in struct/union
>> direct'

Did that. Also changed from gcc go Watcom C. Reduced from a couple of
hundre errors to just this one.
Trying to get rid of this one makes a hundred others reappear.

I guess one of the problems is I don't know how some #defines are or
should be be set, like for instance _POSIX_SOURCE and _QNX_SOURCE,
which are used in several "include" files, but as far as I can see,
remain
undefined.

Can someone tell me?

--
*** Focus on QNX technology ***

 
 
 

pppd can't find DNS

Post by Sam Robert » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00






>>> 'glob.c'. The error is:
>>> 'glob.c(371): Error! E1031: Name 'd_stat' not found in struct/union
>>> direct'

There is no "struct direct", its called "struct dirent", and that has a
d_stat
member. My GNU man-1.5 has (at the top of glob.c) an:
#ifdef(DIRENT)
#  define direct dirent

at the top of it. Take a look at that.

Quote:>Did that. Also changed from gcc go Watcom C. Reduced from a couple of
>hundre errors to just this one.
>Trying to get rid of this one makes a hundred others reappear.

>I guess one of the problems is I don't know how some #defines are or
>should be be set, like for instance _POSIX_SOURCE and _QNX_SOURCE,
>which are used in several "include" files, but as far as I can see,
>remain
>undefined.

Some non-posix stuff is ifdef'e in or out on the basis of these, not usually
important to define.
>Can someone tell me?

>--
>*** Focus on QNX technology ***


 
 
 

pppd can't find DNS

Post by Peter Waechtle » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00



> >> 'glob.c'. The error is:
> >> 'glob.c(371): Error! E1031: Name 'd_stat' not found in struct/union
> >> direct'

> I guess one of the problems is I don't know how some #defines are or
> should be be set, like for instance _POSIX_SOURCE and _QNX_SOURCE,
> which are used in several "include" files, but as far as I can see,
> remain undefined.

make CFLAGS+=-D_QNX_SOURCE

or add this in Makefile:

CFLAGS=-D_QNX_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE

I think Watcom adds _QNX_SOURCE automatically.
Have a look in the source (use the source luke, aehh Inge).
What lines are around glob.c:371. Any #ifdefs in front?

Have a look at /usr/include/dirent.h

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

pppd can't find DNS

Post by Inge Vabek » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00




>> >> 'glob.c'. The error is:
>> >> 'glob.c(371): Error! E1031: Name 'd_stat' not found in
struct/union
>> >> direct'

>> I guess one of the problems is I don't know how some #defines are or
>> should be be set, like for instance _POSIX_SOURCE and _QNX_SOURCE,
>> which are used in several "include" files, but as far as I can see,
>> remain undefined.

>make CFLAGS+=-D_QNX_SOURCE

>or add this in Makefile:

>CFLAGS=-D_QNX_SOURCE -D_POSIX_SOURCE

>I think Watcom adds _QNX_SOURCE automatically.
>Have a look in the source (use the source luke, aehh Inge).
>What lines are around glob.c:371. Any #ifdefs in front?

>Have a look at /usr/include/dirent.h

I've done most of what you suggest here, and I can do nothing
of the kind without getting a whole lot of other errors. If I define
_POSIX_SOURCE I get a whole bunch of pragma errors.

Frustrating. I guess this was actually made for the gcc compiler,
but that doesn't do a proper job either.

I'm not a Makefile expert (I really "hate" the Makefile system!!!)
so I guess I'll have to find someone who is.

--
*** Focus on QNX technology ***

 
 
 

pppd can't find DNS

Post by Inge Vabek » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00



>member. My GNU man-1.5 has (at the top of glob.c) an:
>#ifdef(DIRENT)
>#  define direct dirent

>at the top of it. Take a look at that.

A new look. New #defines appear. This just becomes too complicated for
me.
I guess that 'dirent.h' needs to be included, but that's only a small
part of the
problem.

What puzzles me most is that I didn't have any trouble at all the first
time
I installed this program, and suddenly it can't find the config file
because its
name is corrupted (the config file is there and looks just fine, but the
program
tries to find a file with a completely different, "corrupted" name).

--
*** Focus on QNX technology ***

 
 
 

pppd can't find DNS

Post by Inge Vabek » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00



Quote:

>Have a look at /usr/include/dirent.h

I thank you and the others who have helped me.

It turned out that my mistake was to 'cd' to the directory
containing all the sources, and run "make" from there. The
directory above contained a makefile suitable for QNX.
This makefile contains the definitions 'POSIX',  '__QNX__'
and others.

The source contained one minor error which was easily
corrected, and the "install" had to be done manually (copying
the executables).

Otherwise, the 'man-1.4f' from the /usr/free directory seems
to work quite nicely. 'groff' needs to installed first, however,
but I already knew that. (+:

Thanks again!

--
*** Focus on QNX technology ***

 
 
 

pppd can't find DNS

Post by Igor Kovalenk » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00




> > I've configured both ethernet and pppd to work.
> > Ahd the ethernet card works fine.

> > When I login by pppd, and I cat ping by IP address but no domain name.

> > I've checked the resolv.conf, and ping the DNS' IP,
> > they shows no problem.

> > But I can't use the domain name anyway.
> > Do you have any ideas?

> $ cat /etc/host.conf
> order hosts bind
> multi on

> or vice versa (bind hosts)

I don't believe hosts.conf is used by QNX resolver lib. AFAIK, only
latest beta/alpha resolver library does support name service switching,
but via special directive in /etc/resolv.conf.

- Igor

 
 
 

1. 'idle timeout' in 'pppd' of QNX

In 'pppd', we have an option called "idle timeout" which is used to time
out the Internet line, when there is no activity on it for the "idle
timeout" set.
Here, I'm finding inconsistency in the actual time elapsed before line
gets disconnected against the value set.
for e.g., if I set my "idle timeout" to "360" (seconds), my actual
timeout happens only at "540" seconds.
Could you throw some light in this regard?

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

2. Worms

3. Driving 'canned' QNX Windows apps.

4. replacing the desktop metaphor (Why any metaphor?)

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. New and the bestest FidoNet software

7. ICANN Future Extensions?

8. pppd error 11? what's this?

9. IE Cannot find server or DNS Error

10. Cannot find server or DNS Error

11. www.roth.net; cannot find server or DNS Error

12. Module for DNS to find MX Records ?