Windows CE

Post by Jerry Hick » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Anyone care to comment on how Windows CE will affect the embedded/realtime
> world?

> - Kevin

Yawwwnn...

Windows CE

Post by Kevin J. Mill » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Anyone care to comment on how Windows CE will affect the embedded/realtime
world?

- Kevin

Windows CE

Post by Igor N Kovalenk » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Where embedded is not realtime, it will affect, because it is from M$.
Where you need hard realtime, it is as inadequate as other M$ products.

There was a thread, discussed this subject not so long time ago. See
Dejanews.

---
Igor

Quote:> Anyone care to comment on how Windows CE will affect the
embedded/realtime
> world?

> - Kevin

Windows CE

Post by Zeki Basbuyu » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I think you are underestimating Microsoft and Microsoft users. All the new
people that want to get into embedded world will definitely look windows CE
first. If they are not selective and/or smart enough, they WILL choose
Windows CE. Our company is in this position now. We have two Windows
programmers. To ease the learning curve, they are about to choose Windows
CE. I am against it but, hey... It is their project. Furthermore, there are
lot more windows programmers in the market than QNX programmers. With the
evolution of processors, the so called Soft real-time Operating Systems (
That is what Microsoft is calling it O.S.)  are performing as fast as the
Real-Time OS'es for most applications.
I'm not sure what needs to be done.

Quote:> > Anyone care to comment on how Windows CE will affect the
embedded/realtime
> > world?

> Yawwwnn...

Windows CE

Post by Pete Patterso » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Furthermore, there are
> lot more windows programmers in the market than QNX programmers.

I dunno.

If you give a thousand monkeys typewriters, they don't produce Shakespeare.
That was a fallacy....

Windows CE

Post by Michael S. Scheide » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> Furthermore, there are
>> lot more windows programmers in the market than QNX programmers.

And, youd think that with that many people out there, there would at
several REAL reasons to run windows other than its free and already
loaded on your computer.

--
Michael S. Scheidell     <><      <http://www.fdma.com/>
DataOnDemand Raid System <http://www.fdma.com/raid/>

Windows CE

Post by Dan Hildebra » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> Furthermore, there are
>> lot more windows programmers in the market than QNX programmers.

>I dunno.

>If you give a thousand monkeys typewriters, they don't produce Shakespeare.
>That was a fallacy....

In fact, isn't this expeririment ongoing with one of the large ISP's
even today?  :-)
--

http://www.qnx.com/~danh                    175 Terence Matthews
phone: +1 (613) 591-0931                    Kanata, Ontario, Canada

1. PGP 5 for CE project (Was: Re: NetScape Communicator 5 for Windows CE)

Yes, it's a totally different codebase.

I agree porting GNU to target compiles for CE would be a much more usable
thing to do.

Another thing is to port PGP 5.X in some mini form to CE.

It won't be easy, but I think it's at least not totally impossible.

The Win32 code is rather tigth already, doesn't use any bloated MFC, is
based on Visual C (who supports CE), the source is avaible for download at
http://www.pgpi.com and maybe it's possible to trim it down the code to
use even less memory.

I think it would be a relly good project as such a portable solution with
really strong crypto is badly missing.

The build in crypto in most pocket devices (including CE) is really
nothing more than a big joke, and what can be better than to have the
proven PGP code ported?

Anyone else who agrees on this?

Would it be possible, both technically and legally, to do at all?

Best regards,

m a r t i n | n

--
Martin Nisshagen                ICQ UIN: 689662           __O     verdi +
MTS Technology, Sweden                                   -\<,     callas =

2. Amstrad NC100 notepad, first impression

3. Connecting Windows CE to Mac (w/Windows emulator)

4. SCSI icon changer init

5. XBox = Windows CE

6. Visual Studio long pauses in editor.

7. Hitachi Windows CE touch screen ?

8. Palm III suddenly going through batteries quickly!!!

9. Windows CE program for X10 out there?

10. Searching for a web tablet using Windows CE

11. Windows CE and Industrial PC

12. Windows CE control of X-10?

13. Windows CE Remote Control