Ampro Ethernet Won't Reset

Post by Charles Hubba » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 04:10:21

Hi All,

As I mentioned in a previous post we are developing a system which uses
several Ampro 386 core modules running QNX and talking over ethernet.  We
are using the Ampro ethernet cards which are NE1000 clones.  These cards
are the only ethernet cards I am aware of which are available in the
PC/104 form factor.

Anyway we are developing on a six node QNX network.  Three of the nodes
are using the Ampro cards the other three nodes are desktop machines.  We
have run into a curious problem which I was hoping someone might help us
solve.  The Ampros communicate just fine on the network until we reboot
them (either via software "shutdown" command or actually hitting the
reset button).  After they reboot they absolutely will not talk on the
network.  Every attempt results in a "No route to host" message.  To
restore communications we actually have to turn the Ampros OFF and then
turn them back ON!  The desktop machines don't suffer from this problem.
They reboot and come up talking.

Now this sounds to me like a Ampro hardware problem, not a QNX problem.
I remember QSSL was running QNX on an Ampro at the Sept '94 Embedded
Systems Conference so I thought they might have some experience with
this.  I have not talked to Ampro yet but that is on my list of things to
do for today :)

Any help would be aprecieated!

Charlie Hubbard

Ampro Ethernet Won't Reset

Post by Mitchell Schoenbr » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 12:11:18

This is just an educated guess, but it sounds to me like after
the soft reboot, the Ampro arcnet hardware is in a state that
the QNX driver mistakes for "no hardware".  Do the Ampro's
have monitors that show you startup messages?  If the arcnet
driver is part of your boot image, you might try taking it
out and starting the driver manually.  You also could slay
the driver and start it manually to see what kind of messages
you get.

If I'm anywhere close to the problem, a solution might be a small
program in the boot image that resets the Arcnet hardware, assuming
that this is possible and that you can figure out how to do it.

--

Ampro Ethernet Won't Reset

Post by Andrew Bo » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 05:59:21

>... using the Ampro ethernet cards which are NE1000 clones ...
>just fine until we reboot them (either via software "shutdown"
>command or actually hitting the reset button).  After they reboot
>they absolutely will not talk on the network.  Every attempt results
>in a "No route to host" message.

This is novel (pardon me :)  Did Net.ether1000 start up ok after the
soft reboot?  What does the netinfo (and netinfo -l) output say?

--

Ampro Ethernet Won't Reset

Post by Mitchell Schoenbr » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 17:37:59

Sorry, I meant Ethernet, not Arcnet.
--

1. Win runner not recognizing 'submit', 'reset' buttons

Please help...new to win runner
I'm testing a web application.
Just started with recording . Some how, win runner is not identifying 'submit' , 'reset' buttons on the web page/html frame. These buttons are in asp page , which has multiple frames.
I checked Web test at the begining. Even I tried using 'GUI SPY'. Even GUI SPY/objects is not identifying 'Submit' , 'reset' buttons.
pl help

Please click the following link to reply:
http://www.qaforums.com/boards/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000225.html

2. How do I recursively browse a directory tree?

3. Optimizing input of large files

4. Tape drive won't work, Scanner won' work Win 95

5. pdf DataTypes

6. Anybody using Ampro Minimodule/Ethernet-II

7. Redistribute RIP and OSPF into each other

8. Ampro MiniModule/Ethernet II - which Net driver?

9. wanted: ethernet driver for AMPRO NMX-ETH-K-51 under PSOS+

10. Image won't boot when ethernet not connected

11. Reset calendar view finish date to '0' instead of '1'

12. Ethernet between two Macs won't work?