IBM Thinkpad T22 & installing QNX 2.21

Post by C. Earl » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 06:44:13

Anyone have any idea how to install QNX 2.21 on a ThinkPad T22?  I'm not
being to successful.  Hints appreciated.

Post by Pat » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:13:11

> Anyone have any idea how to install QNX 2.21 on a ThinkPad T22?  I'm not
> being to successful.  Hints appreciated

Could you please be more specific?  Why are you trying QNX 2.21?  QNX RTOS
6.1 is the most recent.  I have it on my Thinkpad A22m and everythng works
except the Lucent Winmodem.  ATI Rage 128 Video with overlay, built-in
ethernet,  pcmcai and even sound worked fine.

Pat

IBM Thinkpad T22 & installing QNX 2.21

Post by Zeljko Fuce » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:49:35

Hi Pat,

I have a problem of installing QNX 6.1 on my A20m ThinkPad - the booting
process never reaches Photon, it is stopped at prompt saying something
"...EIDE detected ...", and next time I boot into Win98 (FAT32) it goes
first
through the Scandisk.

I remember that initial QNX 6.0 installation was going with just a little
less pain, namely it would eventually reach Photon GUI, and I was able to
run QNX (video and lan were recognised).

I have 12Gb hard disk - do you think it may have a problem of reporting
wrong drive geometry, or something else?

Regards,
Zeljko

> > Anyone have any idea how to install QNX 2.21 on a ThinkPad T22?  I'm not
> > being to successful.  Hints appreciated

> Could you please be more specific?  Why are you trying QNX 2.21?  QNX RTOS
> 6.1 is the most recent.  I have it on my Thinkpad A22m and everythng works
> except the Lucent Winmodem.  ATI Rage 128 Video with overlay, built-in
> ethernet,  pcmcai and even sound worked fine.

> Pat

IBM Thinkpad T22 & installing QNX 2.21

Post by Ken Calla » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:58:59

If you have a CDRom drive try booting with a CD in the drive. Otherwise you
may need to turn DMA off in the BIOS. Search QNX for 'DMA' for more info.

Ken

> Hi Pat,

> I have a problem of installing QNX 6.1 on my A20m ThinkPad - the booting
> process never reaches Photon, it is stopped at prompt saying something
> "...EIDE detected ...", and next time I boot into Win98 (FAT32) it goes
> first
> through the Scandisk.

> I remember that initial QNX 6.0 installation was going with just a little
> less pain, namely it would eventually reach Photon GUI, and I was able to
> run QNX (video and lan were recognised).

> I have 12Gb hard disk - do you think it may have a problem of reporting
> wrong drive geometry, or something else?

> Regards,
> Zeljko

> > > Anyone have any idea how to install QNX 2.21 on a ThinkPad T22?  I'm
not
> > > being to successful.  Hints appreciated

> > Could you please be more specific?  Why are you trying QNX 2.21?  QNX
RTOS
> > 6.1 is the most recent.  I have it on my Thinkpad A22m and everythng
works
> > except the Lucent Winmodem.  ATI Rage 128 Video with overlay, built-in
> > ethernet,  pcmcai and even sound worked fine.

> > Pat

IBM Thinkpad T22 & installing QNX 2.21

Post by Zeljko Fuce » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:04:12

Ken,

Thanks for the input, I had to turn off some enumerators,
and now it's fine.

Zeljko

> If you have a CDRom drive try booting with a CD in the drive. Otherwise
you
> may need to turn DMA off in the BIOS. Search QNX for 'DMA' for more info.

> Ken

> > Hi Pat,

> > I have a problem of installing QNX 6.1 on my A20m ThinkPad - the booting
> > process never reaches Photon, it is stopped at prompt saying something
> > "...EIDE detected ...", and next time I boot into Win98 (FAT32) it goes
> > first
> > through the Scandisk.

> > I remember that initial QNX 6.0 installation was going with just a
little
> > less pain, namely it would eventually reach Photon GUI, and I was able
> > run QNX (video and lan were recognised).

> > I have 12Gb hard disk - do you think it may have a problem of reporting
> > wrong drive geometry, or something else?

> > Regards,
> > Zeljko

> not

> > > Could you please be more specific?  Why are you trying QNX 2.21?  QNX
> RTOS
> > > 6.1 is the most recent.  I have it on my Thinkpad A22m and everythng
> works
> > > except the Lucent Winmodem.  ATI Rage 128 Video with overlay, built-in
> > > ethernet,  pcmcai and even sound worked fine.

> > > Pat

1. General announcement...QNX 2.21- IBM 340 Pentium PC

The following announcement for people using QNX 2.20 & 2.21
May also affect QNX 4.xx

Under intensive testing and troubleshooting it has been discovered
that IBM's 340 PC (Pentium 100 w. 840Mb HD) has some serious problems.

Problems:

1. QNX 2.20 would not install onto hard disk.

FIX.  Update to QNX 2.21 - problem with speed, Pentium to fast.  (QNX speed patches)

2. Large HD could not be accessed properly.  Seemed to install correctly but failed
   to boot.

FIX. Get "disk.ata" driver and use instead of "disk.atc".  To load from install disk
copy over "disk.atc".  (Backup original)  Then select driver 3) from menu.

3. If using "disk.ata" or "disk.atc" w. 528Mb limitation IBM 340 will crash and
constantly re-boot.

FIX.  Do not use IBM 340 for QNX 2.21

Explanation:  IBM uses a "proprietary" BIOS which does not allow you to set the
hard disk parameters.  You may only choose 'Compatible Mode' or 'Enhanced Mode'.
The BIOS tells you the size of the HD.

If you use the 840Mb disk loaded on the IBM system with t=1024 h=16 & n=63
it will crash the machine on reboot.  (disk.atc)  HD is limited to 528Mb.

Amazingly you can then take the drive out without doing anything to it
and install it in a PC Pentium 120Mhz with standard BIOS, set the drive
param. to the settings above (528Mb) and away we go.  The disk boots fine,
the OS runs like a dream etc.

NOTE:  Loading the full t=1654 h=16 & n=63 (840Mb) will work with "disk.ata"
          but will hang on boot on the IBM system.  Works fine on Pentium 120Mb
          w. standard BIOS.  "disk.atc" will not work on large disks.

CONCLUSION
-----------
There seems to be some incompatibility between the QNX (And 3rd party) disk
drivers and IBM's BIOS when using QNX 2.21.
I fear this problem may also affect newer versions of QNX.

Hope this information can help prevent others from having problems,
if thy are still using the old QNX 2.21 with IBM systems.

Anthony White, Melbourne, Australia

WWW Home-page: http://www.hk.net/~awhite

2. Custom layout Forms ...

3. Installing a tape backup with QNX 2.21

4. Pleasance in CU Amiga

5. How to install new driver...QNX 2.21

6. Connect to ISP

7. IBM Thinkpad T22 with warranty + wireless

8. IBM Thinkpad T22 sale.

9. QNX 2.21 SCSI Card & Driver questions ?

10. IBM Thinkpad & QNX 2.xx