no ping, but can ping local

Post by Tom Holme » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 10:45:05

Hi

I just installed qnx and am having issues getting the network up, first
it didn't detect the card, a macronix 98715 which is supported with the
tulip driver, I managed to get the card up and configurable but even
though I have set default gw I can't ping the it. The gateway is also my
dns. I can however ping my own ip.

I first thought it might be irq related as I have  geforce2 mx and that
ethernet card on the same irq, so I moved the card but it still isn't
any better. When I try to route add default it tells me that
192.168.0.10 is already set.

Help!!!

TIA

Tommy

no ping, but can ping local

Post by Mritunja » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:09:57

Hi

try this

slay -f io-net

io-net
# try passing the relevent options if you have some awkward setup
mount -Tio-net /lib/dll/devn-tulip.so

now "nicinfo" should display details of your card. If not configure driver/card.

If it does then

mount -Tio-net /lib/dll/npm-tcpip.so
ifconfig en0 YOURIP netmask YOURNETMASK
route add default YOURGATEWAY

then ping the gateway... if it works, put the lines in rc.local and enjoy :)

Previously Tom Holmes said-

Quote:

--
Keep Smiling

Regards
- mritunjai

no ping, but can ping local

Post by Tom Holme » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 12:44:21

> Hi

> try this

> slay -f io-net

<cut>

I tried it to no avail, I still cannot ping out beyong the nic

However it came up as this

Tulip: Macronix 98715 Ethernet Controller

This worried me a little

Media rate 0kb/s half duplex

then the rest

MTU 1514
Lan 0
i/o port range 0xE800 -> 0xE8ff
Hardware Interupt 0xa
Promis Disabled
Multi enabled

as you can gather this is all edited somewhat...

this also worries me

crc errors 4

This card is now sharing an irq with the usb subsystem, the geforce has
its own irq now, the network card has worked happily under win9x, NT and
mainly under Linux. I was wondering what the tulip driver is based on, I
remember issues ages ago around RH6 when the tulip driver croaked on
this nic.

Any other advice? or is it time to buy a realtec and give that a go?

BTW working with an older thread I managed to get lilo booting qnx
happily, but as I am using a Geforce2 MX 400, I am also having issues
with the driver and the (sorry qnx is very new to me) browser in the
help system chokes when I try to open some help file to do with network
issues. Using the vesa drivers work fine but they are very slow, I read
a work around earlier in the ng but at this stage I just don't know
enough to do it, if anyone fancys step by steping me through it I would
be very greatful, but for now the network is the biggest hurdle.

TIA

Tommy

no ping, but can ping local

Post by Tom Holme » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 05:34:08

Well it most have been the network card, I swapped it out for a branded
tulip card and it works just fine.

Nice to be able to install more things and have a look around, also
created a user account, not sure why that isn't done during install but
there you go

Thanks for the help.

Tommy