ping ping ping: Bug or Feature - that's the question :-)]

Post by J?rg Kampman » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Anybody any comment ???

-------- Original Message --------

Betreff: Bug or Feature - that's the question :-)
Datum: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 13:25:55 +0200

Firma: IBK-Consult, D-31228 Peine
Foren: comp.os.qnx

Hi

I am using more than one disk for operation with QNX 4. And I
moved the whole /usr directory to the second disk. And I created
a link to the second disk, e.g.:

ln -fsv /disk2/usr /usr

in the root directory of disk1

This sometimes generates warnings or even errors, in particular when I
try to update my system from the QSSL CD-Rom.

Now I used an environment variable:

export QSSL_HOST=/

this generated strange behaviour for the (e.g.) 'ls' and others and it
reported me that it did not find (ls $QSSL_HOST/usr/whatever)

//usr/whatever

when I modified the above environment variable to

export QSSL_HOST=

it works fine and no further problem occurs

Question:

is this a shell/Fsys bug or feature ?

an answer might be interesting ... :-)

Joerg Kampmann
IBK-Consult   -  (embedded Systems)
WWW: http://www.ibk-consult.de

Post by Mike Taillo » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Anybody any comment ???

i think you are getting hit with the 'super' root thing...

/ -> root filesystem
//x  -> root filesystem for node x

//usr is an invalid path (in QNX) because of the //x syntax

when the shell sees a path starting with // it expects
a node number.

when the shell sees a path starting with /// it collaspes
that to just /   (this usually happens with // on other os's)

try export QSSL_HOST=///

that way you when something goes to tack on to it, it will
never be just //

ie. it will work for:
        $QSSL_HOST                      --> ///     --> /
        $QSSL_HOST/                     --> ////    --> /
        $QSSL_HOST/usr          --> ////usr --> /usr

ping ping ping: Bug or Feature - that's the question :-)]

Post by Sam Robert » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Previously, J?rg Kampmann wrote in comp.os.qnx:

Quote:

> I am using more than one disk for operation with QNX 4. And I
> moved the whole /usr directory to the second disk. And I created
> a link to the second disk, e.g.:

> ln -fsv /disk2/usr /usr

> in the root directory of disk1

This should be fine.

Quote:> This sometimes generates warnings or even errors, in particular when I
> try to update my system from the QSSL CD-Rom.

What warnings and errors?

If /etc/install truly does require this not to be a symlink, which
would surprise me (but I get surprised all the time) then you
can make this a prefix, which is much closer to invisible. In your
sysinit:

prefix -A /usr=/disk2/usr

Quote:> Now I used an environment variable:

> export QSSL_HOST=/

> this generated strange behaviour for the (e.g.) 'ls' and others and it
> reported me that it did not find (ls $QSSL_HOST/usr/whatever)

> //usr/whatever

> when I modified the above environment variable to

> export QSSL_HOST=

> it works fine and no further problem occurs

> Question:

> is this a shell/Fsys bug or feature ?

Feature.

The environment variable is irrelevant, the
way you use it generates an illegal path, but you can generate that
path in other ways and it'll still be illegal.

When a path begins with "//" it is a network-rooted path, i.e. the
next component in the path is expected to be a node number:

//4/usr/local

A node of 0 is your node:

//0/usr/local

and a missing node is your node:

///usr/local

but you've placed "usr" in the node position:

//usr/local

usr clearly isn't a node.

Cheers,
Sam

--

1. no ping, but can ping local

Hi

I just installed qnx and am having issues getting the network up, first
it didn't detect the card, a macronix 98715 which is supported with the
tulip driver, I managed to get the card up and configurable but even
though I have set default gw I can't ping the it. The gateway is also my
dns. I can however ping my own ip.

I first thought it might be irq related as I have  geforce2 mx and that
ethernet card on the same irq, so I moved the card but it still isn't
any better. When I try to route add default it tells me that
192.168.0.10 is already set.

Help!!!

TIA

Tommy

2. Running QNX2 TCP/IP on Pentium

3. PING: HELP ON DOING A PING

4. Where is Steve Spires, really?

5. Remote Ping with DISMAN-PING-MIB

6. syntax highlightning

7. $dbh->ping() not pinging?

8. Defragger

9. A question about PING's

10. Questions about vi map'ping

11. VxWorks card servicing 'pings' from the network

12. 'ping' application for pNA+ on pSOS+

13. ~ Help 'ping' script ~