Tandy 1000/1000 SX Upgrade Questions...

Post by Ed Paradi » Wed, 12 Aug 1992 16:47:22

I'd like to know if a more powerful power supply is available for the 1000 SX.
I believe the original p.s. puts out about 67 watts, which is rather anemic.

In addition, is there a ROM Bios upgrade for the 1000 SX?  Lastly, I would
appreciate hearing from those who have upgraded the 8088-2 chip in their 1000
SX to an NEC V-20 (10 Mhz). How much of an improvement in performance have
you realized from the NEC upgrade?

Any information regarding mail order companies offering the best products
and/or prices would be welcomed.

Ed Paradis     N1JHA

Tandy 1000/1000 SX Upgrade Questions...

Post by John Ecke » Sat, 15 Aug 1992 17:09:32

Quote:> ... I would appreciate hearing from those who have upgraded
> the 8088-2 chip in their 1000SX to an NEC V-20 (10 Mhz).
> How much of an improvement in performance have you realized
> from the NEC upgrade?

Ed:
     I've had a V-20 in my 1000SX for a couple years now, and it works
great!  Never had ANY problem caused by the chip.  The speed
improvement's not very big (15% to 25%) but, hey, for $6.95 it's better'n
a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

     Don't let the "10 mz" fool you:  you'll still be running the same
clock speed (it's 7.16 mz, isn't it?).  The improvement, I'm told, comes
from a more efficient assembler progression:  fewer steps to do the same
dance.

     Now if you want a REAL speed improvement, check out the 286 Express
Board!  OooEEEE!  That board will make your machine run faster'n a
one-armed paper hanger in a room full of rocking chairs!  Problem is,
those Express Boards are quite rare nowadays.  If you find one, grab it!

     Best, John.

--

Infoplus BBS, +1 708 537 0247, v32bis. Home of Infoplus.

1. Tandy 1000-SX upgrade to v20

        I was wondering what exactly upgrading my 8088 tp the nec v20
chip would do?  is it worth the money and where do find the chip radio
shack was no help.
        I also heard of a 2 meg memory board availible for the tandy
1000-SX specifically radio shack part no. 90-2079 I was wondering if this
is still posible to get or if anyone has one for sale.

2. ZR38600/38601 audio serial input interface - HELP !

3. Upgrading a Tandy 1000 SX

4. Linking database records in FP2000

5. Tandy 1000 SX expansion questions

6. Xircom creditcard ethernet adapter IIps

7. Tandy 1000 TL and 1000 EX Questions

8. IPAQ 3970 Bluetooth problem

9. Upgrading an original Tandy 1000 (questions)

10. Tandy 1000-HD and Tandy 1000-TX

11. Questions on Upgrading 1000 RSX

12. New HD in TX 1000 and other upgrade questions