Looking for Avalon Hill Games...

Post by mbaldwin1.. » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello folks,

I'm looking to buy copies of some old Avalon Hill
games for a Model 1 on cassette.  I know that
most of these are available on emulator sites,
but I'd rather have a hard cassette to use.  I've
wasted many nights trying to create a loadable M1
cassette with an emulator....

Anyway, if anyone has a tape copy of any of these
games, please drop me a line.
Thanks!

AVALON HILL M1 CASSETTE GAMES:
-B-1 Nuclear Bomber
-Midway Campaign
-North Atlantic Convoy Raider
-Nukewar
-Planet Miners
-Lords of Karma
-Conflict 2500
-Computer Statistical Pro Baseball
-Empire of the Overmind
-Tanktics
-Stocks and Bonds
-Galaxy
-Guns of Ft. Defiance
-Voyager
-Dnieper River Line
-Foreign Exchange

Thanks in advance,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Looking for Avalon Hill Games...

Post by Bruce Tomli » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm looking to buy copies of some old Avalon Hill
> games for a Model 1 on cassette.  I know that
> most of these are available on emulator sites,
> but I'd rather have a hard cassette to use.  I've
> wasted many nights trying to create a loadable M1
> cassette with an emulator....

FWIW, if you cruise the thrift stores like Goodwill, Salvation Army,
etc. you may get lucky and find these every now and then.

Hmmm... considering what you are asking though, if someone made a good
MP3 of the tapes it would probably work.

Looking for Avalon Hill Games...

Post by Lord Apollyo » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>  I've wasted many nights trying to create a loadable M1
> cassette with an emulator....

Which one?  The cassette output waveform is a simple one to generate and
at 500 baud, not that stressful on modern hardware.

In my experience (admittedly, not with TRS80 but an Atari VCS
cartridge-loader thing called a SuperCharger) it was fairly reliable,
and the baud rate was higher even.

=R=

--
The reply-to-address is *REAL* and will expire on 0:01 1-November-2000.
Spammers: You will lose your network access.  Guaranteed.

Post by Sylvan Butl » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>Hmmm... considering what you are asking though, if someone made a good
>MP3 of the tapes it would probably work.

An MP3???  Considering how finicky that model I was, I'm pretty
skeptical that it would ignore the anomalies introduced by MP3.

sdb
--
 | Sylvan Butler | Not speaking for Hewlett-Packard | sbutler-boi.hp.com |

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin, 1759
 "Don't Tread On Me!"

Post by am.. » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> >  I've wasted many nights trying to create a loadable M1
> > cassette with an emulator....

> Which one?  The cassette output waveform is a simple one to generate
and
> at 500 baud, not that stressful on modern hardware.

> In my experience (admittedly, not with TRS80 but an Atari VCS
> cartridge-loader thing called a SuperCharger) it was fairly reliable,
> and the baud rate was higher even.

> =R=

Well, mainly I've recorded BASIC programs off of my soundblaster output
with Matthew Reed's M1 emulator.  The recordings sound OK to me, but I
can not get them to load on my real M1.

I've tried using David Kiel's emulator which can CSAVE to a .wav file,
(which I can then clean up with my sound editor program before dumping
it out to tape...) but everytime I run a CSAVE on the emulator, it
crashes on me.  nuts...

My next big idea is to install a 3.5 drive on my M1 (since I don't have
a 5.25 drive on my laptop...).  Then I can (hopefully) transfer files
that way and make the cassettes on my Model 1...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Looking for Avalon Hill Games...

Post by Knut Roll-Lun » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>My next big idea is to install a 3.5 drive on my M1 (since I don't have
>a 5.25 drive on my laptop...).  Then I can (hopefully) transfer files
>that way and make the cassettes on my Model 1...

I have recently installed 3.5" drives very successfully. You can use a PC
3.5" directly but remember that all floppydrives are ID1 (I had to solder to
change one to ID0).

Also the model 1 (real and emulator) doesn't like 1.4M so you have to either
get hold of 2DD floppies, cover the hole, disable the detection mechanism or
have a 3.5" drive which can be jumpered to ignore the 1.4M hole. On the PC
side you probably wouldn't want to be so drastic so only the two first
options are available. I looked through my old collection of floppies and
drafted almost all 2DD floppies for this use. I also checked if it was
possible to buy such, but they are obsolete.

I also found out that having double sided drives one can have no more than 3
of them on a model 1 since the 4th select signal is used for side-select
(model 3 has one more select line and can have 4 double sided drives). One
can put a 4th single sided drive but must change the hardware so that the
select line for it is there only when no other select signals are there.

Knut Roll-Lund

PS remove 'nospam.' from the reply address

Post by Bruce Tomli » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Well, mainly I've recorded BASIC programs off of my soundblaster output
> with Matthew Reed's M1 emulator.  The recordings sound OK to me, but I
> can not get them to load on my real M1.

I can't remember right now whether the M1 used the earphone output or a
line-level output.  If you use the wrong one, a real M1 probably won't
work with it.  They were also picky about the volume level.

Post by am.. » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> > My next big idea is to install a 3.5 drive on my M1 (since I don't
have
> > a 5.25 drive on my laptop...).  Then I can (hopefully) transfer
files
> > that way and make the cassettes on my Model 1...

> Have you considered a serial connection method?  I thought Model 1's
> have a simple 4 or 5 wire serial port... Even 2400 baud kicks the ass
of
> its 500 baud cassette method.

> (You might have a "bootstrapping" problem to get the first program
into
> the machine, but I'm sure a small Z80 serial port loader should be
> doable)

> =R=

I'm a little unsure as to the software side of that equation.  What
programs would I run on each end?  All the FAQ's I've ever seen simply
say "transfer via serial connection," or something equally vague...

Post by Bruce Tomli » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Have you considered a serial connection method?  I thought Model 1's
> have a simple 4 or 5 wire serial port... Even 2400 baud kicks the ass of
> its 500 baud cassette method.

Nope.  I think you're thinking about the CoCo serial port, which is a
simple "bit banger" port.  It's okay for data output, but it's almost
impossible to time input data reliably.

The best attempt I ever saw was when I disassembled the code from the
VideoTex cartridge.  They used the horizontal sync interrupt from the
video chip as a 25X timing reference for 300 baud.  And it ate up 50% of
the CPU time in interrupt service.  It probably could have been adapted
to 600 baud, but not configurably.  (You'd probably have to have a
separate copy of the ISR code for 300 baud and 600 baud.)

And even with a UART, the Model I couldn't above 2400 reliably doing
anything other than storing the data into RAM, because there was no
interrupt input to attach the UART to to buffer the data as it came in.
You certainly couldn't do a 9600 baud terminal emulator with it, because
the screen scrolling would kill you above 2400 baud.  This was fixed in
the Model III.

Looking for Avalon Hill Games...

Post by am.. » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00

OK...  Now That I've spent a day tearing out more hair, maybe one of
you can help me out here.

I'm trying to transfer some programs from Ira's site back on to my
Model 1.  My first idea was to hook up a 720k drive to my Model 1, and
try to read/write those disks somehow on the 1.4 drive on my pentium
laptop (where the files are currently located...).  Not successful.  I
formatted many good 720k disks on the M1 with TRSDos 2.3, NewDOS 2.0
and DOSPlus 3.5.  No Sweat.  The problem was trying to read those disks
in the 1.4 drive with the emulator (I tried both Matthew Reed's and
David Kiel's...)  Didn't work.  Formatting with the PC was equally
unsuccesful...

I then tried doing serial transfers with the Reed emulator. (I can't
seem to get the Keil emulator to access the com port...)

Can somebody please spell out how to do this?  These are the parameters
I'm working with:

PC Side:
Pentium Win95 laptop
Null Modem cable running from com1
Reed and Kiel Emulators with any software available from Ira's site
Hyper Terminal PC com program.

TRS-80 side:
Null Modem cable running from PC into RS-232
RSTerm Software
Uniterm Software

Help Please!  I'm going nuts-o here...  This is probably very easy to
do, but I'm a bit thick...

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Looking for Avalon Hill Games...

Post by Howard Le » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 09:23:02

Looking at your list of equipment are you using two null modem cables? cause
you only need one
cheers
Howard

> OK...  Now That I've spent a day tearing out more hair, maybe one of
> you can help me out here.

> I'm trying to transfer some programs from Ira's site back on to my
> Model 1.  My first idea was to hook up a 720k drive to my Model 1, and
> try to read/write those disks somehow on the 1.4 drive on my pentium
> laptop (where the files are currently located...).  Not successful.  I
> formatted many good 720k disks on the M1 with TRSDos 2.3, NewDOS 2.0
> and DOSPlus 3.5.  No Sweat.  The problem was trying to read those disks
> in the 1.4 drive with the emulator (I tried both Matthew Reed's and
> David Kiel's...)  Didn't work.  Formatting with the PC was equally
> unsuccesful...

> I then tried doing serial transfers with the Reed emulator. (I can't
> seem to get the Keil emulator to access the com port...)

> Can somebody please spell out how to do this?  These are the parameters
> I'm working with:

> PC Side:
> Pentium Win95 laptop
> Null Modem cable running from com1
> Reed and Kiel Emulators with any software available from Ira's site
> Hyper Terminal PC com program.

> TRS-80 side:
> Null Modem cable running from PC into RS-232
> RSTerm Software
> Uniterm Software

> Help Please!  I'm going nuts-o here...  This is probably very easy to
> do, but I'm a bit thick...

> Thanks in advance,

> Mike

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Looking for Avalon Hill Games...

Post by am.. » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 10:28:24

Ooops...  I stand corrected.  I have 1 null modem cable interconnecting
the 2 machines...

Thanks,
Mike

> Looking at your list of equipment are you using two null modem
cables? cause
> you only need one
> cheers
> Howard

> > OK...  Now That I've spent a day tearing out more hair, maybe one of
> > you can help me out here.

> > I'm trying to transfer some programs from Ira's site back on to my
> > Model 1.  My first idea was to hook up a 720k drive to my Model 1,
and
> > try to read/write those disks somehow on the 1.4 drive on my pentium
> > laptop (where the files are currently located...).  Not
successful.  I
> > formatted many good 720k disks on the M1 with TRSDos 2.3, NewDOS 2.0
> > and DOSPlus 3.5.  No Sweat.  The problem was trying to read those
disks
> > in the 1.4 drive with the emulator (I tried both Matthew Reed's and
> > David Kiel's...)  Didn't work.  Formatting with the PC was equally
> > unsuccesful...

> > I then tried doing serial transfers with the Reed emulator. (I can't
> > seem to get the Keil emulator to access the com port...)

> > Can somebody please spell out how to do this?  These are the
parameters
> > I'm working with:

> > PC Side:
> > Pentium Win95 laptop
> > Null Modem cable running from com1
> > Reed and Kiel Emulators with any software available from Ira's site
> > Hyper Terminal PC com program.

> > TRS-80 side:
> > Null Modem cable running from PC into RS-232
> > RSTerm Software
> > Uniterm Software

> > Help Please!  I'm going nuts-o here...  This is probably very easy
> > do, but I'm a bit thick...

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Mike

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Looking for Avalon Hill Games...

Post by Lord Apollyo » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Have you tried just a plain-Jane XMODEM setup?  Try no higher than 2400
baud, work down from there if it seems like you're getting overruns.
(Use a Windows95 term program - Procomm or even the ancient Windows 3.1
"terminal.exe" which is ugly and feature-poor, but I find it always

If you need a copy of it, email me.

=R=

--
The reply-to-address is *REAL* and will expire on 0:01 1-November-2000.
Spammers: You will lose your network access.  Guaranteed.

Looking for Avalon Hill Games...

Post by am.. » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Aye, there's the rub...  I don't currently have an XMODEM program on my
Model 1.  All I've got is Uniterm and RSTerm, niether of which seem to
support an XMODEM protocol.  The PC side poses no problem...

Now I know that I could get a copy of an XMODEM program from CN80, but
I'd really like to be able to do this with what I've got.

> Have you tried just a plain-Jane XMODEM setup?  Try no higher than
2400
> baud, work down from there if it seems like you're getting overruns.
> (Use a Windows95 term program - Procomm or even the ancient Windows
3.1
> "terminal.exe" which is ugly and feature-poor, but I find it always

up.

> If you need a copy of it, email me.

> =R=

> --
> The reply-to-address is *REAL* and will expire on 0:01 1-November-
2000.
> Spammers: You will lose your network access.  Guaranteed.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Avalon Hill TRS80 games

Does anyone know if any Model I/III files exist on the net for
downloading the old range of Avalon Hill TRS80 computer games? I have
several of the board plus program games and would love to play them
without having to fire up my trusty Genie III (Model I clone).

David.

2. PC to MAC question

3. Adventure games, the quill, the prof and avalon

4. tutorial/example code ?

5. Freecell gambler wanted

6. Paul Hill's GPL violations

7. Windows Explorer

8. Wanted: Avlon Hill - Empire of the Overmind for TRS-80 M1

9. Grange Hill

10. BUCHER HILL

11. Wanted: Avlon Hill - Empire of the Overmind for TRS-80 M1

12. email-address of Ralph D. Hill