Tandy 1000 SX info wanted

Post by Ro » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am new to this newsgroup, and don't know anything about Tandy
computers.
Today I got a brandnew looking Tandy 1000 SX.
It seems to work, but during the boot-up, it asks for a system
diskette, which I don't have.
There are two 5.25" floppy drives.

Can anyone give me some specs of this type of computer, about what
kind of processor, at what clockspeed the processor runs, and howmuch
memory the computer will have.

Is there anyway to enter the bios by hitting a certain key?

Can any-one supply me with a boot-floppy?
I live in Amsterdam, Holland, Europe

Thanks!

Ron

Tandy 1000 SX info wanted

Post by Joanne Mavri » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

It might be worth asking what your first computer was?  I find lots and lots
of people asking how to "enter the bios" on all manner of Tandy systems.  In
actual fact only a few of the last Tandy systems had a bios you can enter in
the manner that people are used to with modern systems.

The 1000SX is an XT class computer and hence there is no bios to enter as
such.  You should have been able to pick up that it was an XT class computer
by the five ISA 8-bit expansion slots.  As for the rest of your questions:

8086 processor at 4.77 and 8MHz (might have been a 8088 - never owned one,
can't be sure)
384K ram from the factory, space to add up to 640K on the motherboard
1X 5.25" 360K disk as standard, but most of them have two

a regular 5.25" 360K DOS 3.3 boot disk should boot on the system fine.

Point of confusion:  the SX on the nameplate doesn't mean its a 386SX, that
didn't exist at the time the 1000SX was released (1986).  Common mistake.

Joanne.

> Hi,

> I am new to this newsgroup, and don't know anything about Tandy
> computers.
> Today I got a brandnew looking Tandy 1000 SX.
> It seems to work, but during the boot-up, it asks for a system
> diskette, which I don't have.
> There are two 5.25" floppy drives.

> Can anyone give me some specs of this type of computer, about what
> kind of processor, at what clockspeed the processor runs, and howmuch
> memory the computer will have.

> Is there anyway to enter the bios by hitting a certain key?

> Can any-one supply me with a boot-floppy?
> I live in Amsterdam, Holland, Europe

> Thanks!

> Ron

Tandy 1000 SX info wanted

Post by Leonard Ericks » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I am new to this newsgroup, and don't know anything about Tandy
> computers.
> Today I got a brandnew looking Tandy 1000 SX.
> It seems to work, but during the boot-up, it asks for a system
> diskette, which I don't have.
> There are two 5.25" floppy drives.

> Can anyone give me some specs of this type of computer, about what
> kind of processor, at what clockspeed the processor runs, and howmuch
> memory the computer will have.

It's an XT. That means 640k *max*, though if you hunt around you might
be able to find an EMS board, which (with the proper software) would
let you have UMBs.

Quote:> Is there anyway to enter the bios by hitting a certain key?

Nope. That's an *AT* feature, and not all AT class systems have it.

Quote:> Can any-one supply me with a boot-floppy?

Drop me an email, and I'll put one together. I've got a program that
allows creating "images" of 360k and 720k floppies. I can send it to
you with an image of a DOS 3.3 disk (that's the latest version worth
trying on an XT class system). Then you can use another system with a
5.25" floppy to create a boot disk.

--
Leonard Erickson (aka Shadow)

Tandy 1000 SX info wanted

Post by Brian Knoblau » Sun, 28 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Can anyone give me some specs of this type of computer, about what
>kind of processor, at what clockspeed the processor runs, and howmuch
>memory the computer will have.

        Intel 8088 running at 7.16(?)mhz (somewhere between 7 & 8mhz anyway).
Normally configured with 256K RAM, it is expandable to 512K RAM with parts
pulled from IBM XT.  RAM is without parity.

Quote:>Is there anyway to enter the bios by hitting a certain key?

        There's no BIOS setup to be entered...  The BIOS on this machine simply
boots the system off the floppy and provides the minimal services required by
MS-DOS.

Quote:>Can any-one supply me with a boot-floppy?
>I live in Amsterdam, Holland, Europe

        Any MS-DOS boot disk version 2.1 or higher should work.

Brian

Tandy 1000 SX info wanted

Post by Kerry Lee High J » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

: >Can anyone give me some specs of this type of computer, about what
: >kind of processor, at what clockspeed the processor runs, and howmuch
: >memory the computer will have.

:       Intel 8088 running at 7.16(?)mhz (somewhere between 7 & 8mhz anyway).
: Normally configured with 256K RAM, it is expandable to 512K RAM with parts
: pulled from IBM XT.  RAM is without parity.

It is 7.16 mHz. And it is normally configured with 384K RAM, and is
expandable to 640K.

1. Tandy 1000 SX Info

Does anyone have a technical manual for the 1000 SX that they don't need
anymore and would like to sell?

Right now, what I need to know is the the address of the light pen port.
I beleive I can use it as a serial port if I could find the address.
Any info on the light pen port would be greatly appreciated (the manual
would be even better).

Please e-mail me at the above address.

Thanks in advance,
Joe Stacy

2. AS/400 Connection via VB5 Internet Transfer Control

3. WANTED: Tandy 1000 SX-compatible hardware

4. TIFF processing on VMS?

5. Tandy 1000/1000 SX Upgrade Questions...

6. PPC 2000 Infrared to HP printers

7. Info on 1000 SX

8. Category tree web part

9. info help for 3.5" on 1000 SX

10. Help !!1Need Info On Tandy 1000 TL/3--Any info at all

11. Tandy 40MB hard drive for 1000-SX?

12. Tandy 1000 SX computer.