Looking for Model I keyboard or contacts

Looking for Model I keyboard or contacts

Post by Larry Fosdic » Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:52:32

I have a Model I with a flakey keyboard that cleaning didn't help.  Does
anyone have a keyboard or extra contacts for the early keyboard that they'd
consider parting with?

Larry

Post by Alasdair Crawfo » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:24:30

> I have a Model I with a flakey keyboard that cleaning didn't help.  Does
> anyone have a keyboard or extra contacts for the early keyboard that they'd
> consider parting with?

> Larry

Larry what 'version' of the Model 1 do you have? The early keyboards
had a lot of bounce in them. it may be down to the contacts and the
BIOS version. later releases had a better keyboard and a better
keyboard debounce routine.

cheers

Alasdair.

Looking for Model I keyboard or contacts

Post by Larry Fosdic » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 07:49:44

Quote:> > I have a Model I with a flakey keyboard that cleaning didn't help.  Does
> > anyone have a keyboard or extra contacts for the early keyboard that
they'd
> > consider parting with?

> > Larry

> Larry what 'version' of the Model 1 do you have? The early keyboards
> had a lot of bounce in them. it may be down to the contacts and the
> BIOS version. later releases had a better keyboard and a better
> keyboard debounce routine.

> cheers

> Alasdair.

I have the older style keyboard without numeric pad.  Model is 26-1004D,
which has the older ROMs.  I used to have a Model I with the ALPS keyboard,
and would be in heaven if I could find one to fit into this beast.  I have
worked to clean the contacts. Bounce is controlled by the DOS, but I have
some keys that just don't want to respond without a lot of force.  The
solder contacts are good, as is the interface cable.

Larry

Looking for Model I keyboard or contacts

Post by skeeter da beeter bunn » Wed, 01 May 2002 22:32:47

FYI,
the later keyboards had the keycaps affixed to the keys.  If you removed
them then you ruined the key.

I remember the good old days of removing all the keys with a bent paper clip
and spraying some tuner cleaner
onto the contacts and replacing the keys.  This worked for a while until
Radio Shack released the keybounce routine
that REALLY helped.
IIIIi sssssssoorttttttt ooooof miiiiiiss thossse goooooood olllleeeeeeeeeee
dayyyyyys!