Negotiation Tactics - do you want more?

Post by Michael McCormac » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

A few weeks ago I posted some comments on getting a better rate for your
work in the form of a dialogue between a PHM and an enlightened geek. I
have had a number of requests for more of the same by e-mail.

Rather than come in heavy boots and start posting negotiating fantasies
left and right, I thought I'd ask the broader group if you would like to
see more sample negotiations. Almost every negotiating question I've seen
posted here is common to any * or contractor. The only typical
difference that I've noted is simple: remediation geeks have all the good
cards, they don't always know how best to play them.

This group has been of tremendous use to me and I'd like to feel I was
contributing something more helpful that comments on why the media works
the way it does and amateur economic analyses.

Here's what I can and can't do. If you want it, I'll do it.

I can offer tips on what strategic and tactical goals you need to keep in
mind when you're dealing with the paymasters. I can give you some help on
how to use the contracting market and its anomalies to your advantage. I
can give you some help understanding what a PHMs goals and assumptions are
likely to be in a given negotiation. Most importantly, in my view, I can
give you PHM-resistant arguments to defend what you're asking for.

I can't give you any help deciding which of your technical skills are the
best to highlight. I can't tell you who - outside Scotland - has a good
reputation or a bad one. I can't give you tips that are designed to meet a
specific company's negotiating style, only tactics that work generally.
Most importantly, I can't help you with negotiations that turn on highly
technical IT issues (although I understand these to be rare) - on those
terms I am probably more ignorant than the average PHM.

If you would like to see more of the negotiations, please post. I can
produce one evry fortnight or so and I will monitor the follow-ups to
clarify anything that's asked. If you're interested, I would be grateful of
you could mention what subjects/problems you find most pressing.

Michael McCormack
Editor, Insider Technology

Negotiation Tactics - do you want more?

Post by DoomNGlo » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I look forward to seeing your future posts.

Negotiation Tactics - do you want more?

Post by Ol'Tim » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Yes!! Let us have more. Specifically, us over-40, has-been COBOL
dinosaurs who were downsized several years ago and have been semi-retired
since then. How do we get back in the contracting game at sock-it-to-'em
rates???

I can still sling code with the best of 'em, but I'm afraid I burned a
few bridges a few years back on my way out of the building after having a
complete asshol* of a control freak as a direct line PHM. At the time,
burning bridges felt good. But now I will lack a good reference from that
job. The other jobs are so old I can't remember names.

Negotiation Tactics - do you want more?

Post by Dave Eastabroo » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>If you would like to see more of the negotiations, please post. I can
>produce one evry fortnight or so and I will monitor the follow-ups to
>clarify anything that's asked. If you're interested, I would be grateful of
>you could mention what subjects/problems you find most pressing.

Yes please.  I could see the following situations:

1). In a job, want to stay, want more money.
2). In a job, asked to move to the Y2K project.
3). In a job, don't mind moving to a different company
4). Want to move, interviewing different companies (note the wording!!!)
5). Out of a job, want to get one
6). Prepared to relocate / not prepared
7). All the above for a contractor instead of permanent

:Dave
--
"They can take our 029's, they can take our 2314's, but they can never take...
OUR GEEKDOM!!!!!" Ron Kenyon quotes Braveheart Eastabrook. That'll do for me.

Negotiation Tactics - do you want more?

Post by cory hamasa » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Yes!! Let us have more. Specifically, us over-40, has-been COBOL
>dinosaurs who were downsized several years ago and have been semi-retired
>since then. How do we get back in the contracting game at sock-it-to-'em
>rates???

>I can still sling code with the best of 'em, but I'm afraid I burned a
>few bridges a few years back on my way out of the building after having a
>complete asshol* of a control freak as a direct line PHM. At the time,
>burning bridges felt good. But now I will lack a good reference from that
>job. The other jobs are so old I can't remember names.

Dang it.  You're the nth person with that story.  Do some homework.  If
you're THAT old, just say you made your pile and you retired.  But after 10
years of hitting golf balls you decided to go back to work, one more time,
especially since rates are nice and high.

If you need a reference, well, as much as I dislike dishonesty, just find a
pal who worked at a company that went out of business and say that you
worked for him.  They can't check w/ the company, it's gone but they can
call your pal who will say, "oh yeah, O-T was one of our top COBOL
gearheads.  Wow, is he available, I'd love to know where he is, I'd hire
him and pay him $150,000/year."  Then when you get the job, send your pal
some tickets to the game or a couple real nice bottles of Merlot.

Anyway, some companies will not give out *any* information good or bad,
some were sued by ex-employees when they received negative information,
others were sued by companies that hired bad employees on the basis of a
good recommendation.  Since companies are not required to give out *any*
information, some have elected not to say anything at all.

Cory Hamasaki

Post by David K. Brya » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I can still sling code with the best of 'em, but I'm afraid I burned a
>few bridges a few years back on my way out of the building after having a
>complete asshol* of a control freak as a direct line PHM. At the time,
>burning bridges felt good. But now I will lack a good reference from that
>job. The other jobs are so old I can't remember names.

Most companies won't give references anymore.
They just confirm dates of service, positions held, and final salary.

Negotiation Tactics - do you want more?

Post by T. Vincent Smit » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Would like some more help on redirecting the focus of the negotiating,
similar to what you posted before.  Thanks for offering.

1. Wanted: non-DOS to DOS translater

I have 5.25" floppy disks written by the DM1 Datamate (a spectrometer
controller from SPEX Industries) using a non-DOS format. I'm
interested in converting the files into DOS format. Although I can read the
individual sectors on my PC using Sysdex's Anadisk, I really need a
translation program that properly strings the sectors together into
meaningful files. Does anyone know of such a program or how it might
be done? Thanks.
(Anadisk finds the Datamate format to have 48 tpi,
16 sectors per track, 256 bytes per sector, 40 tracks used).

Oliver W. Shih

2. Can't catch Internal Application Error

3. OT: U.S. could face new terror tactic: Agricultural warfare

4. DEC Ada V3.3

5. Daily Fix: Scare tactics

6. Building a 64bit app using the DDK

7. Nazi Tactics DocDwarf aka Michael J. Ben-Tovim, President of Binary Systems Inc

8. Load Balancing / Web Server Redundancy

9. Military Tactics

10. XP2001 Workshop on "XP and Requirements Negotiation," Villasimius, Sardinia, Italy, May 24, 2001

11. agent in negotiation

12. Computer supported negotiations

13. [tao-users] codeset negotiation