EiffelBase source available on the Web

Post by Bertrand Meye » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

In preparation for the Open Source release of EiffelBase
at TOOLS USA on August 4, we have put the entire source
text of the EiffelBase library on our Web site at
http://eiffel.com.

Although this is the 4.2 version (i.e. the current
release), the differences with the final, free version
are minimal -- some bug fixes, and of course a new
copyright license authorizing anyone to use the library.

The HTML version of the source was produced with the HTML
generation mechanism of ISE EiffelBench 4.2 (one of the
many output filters available) and is completely hyperlinked,
enabling easy browsing. This provides a good way to get familiar
with the library in preparation for its public release.

In the next few days we will add graphical maps of the library
(HTML/GIF) produced by our EiffelCase analysis, design and
reverse engineering workbench.

--
Bertrand Meyer, Interactive Software Engineering
ISE Building, 2nd floor, 270 Storke Road, Goleta CA 93117

http://eiffel.com

EiffelBase source available on the Web

Post by John H. Fulle » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

While it is certainly an advantage to have this source available, is
there any chance that some of the boilerplate can be eliminated from the
top of each page.  In particular, the text:
EiffelBase class
      (HTML page generated by ISE
      Eiffel 4.2)
is in a large font and, combined with the ISE logo, takes up the entire
top half of the browser window.  This requires an extra carpal tunnel
task (scroll down) even though I just want to see the code.

> In preparation for the Open Source release of EiffelBase
> at TOOLS USA on August 4, we have put the entire source
> text of the EiffelBase library on our Web site at
> http://eiffel.com.

Thanks,
John H. Fuller, University of Minnesota

Post by Bertrand Meye » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> While it is certainly an advantage to have this source available, is
> there any chance that some of the boilerplate can be eliminated from the
> top of each page.  In particular, the text:
> EiffelBase class
>       (HTML page generated by ISE
>       Eiffel 4.2)
> is in a large font and, combined with the ISE logo, takes up the entire
> top half of the browser window.  This requires an extra carpal tunnel
> task (scroll down) even though I just want to see the code.

The pages were checked under Netscape on a Sun, where the default
fonts make the sizes reasonable. They look too big on PCs. My
fault entirely for not checking. We have now set a smaller font size
and different type, which look fine on the Windows platforms I have
checked (Netscape 4.0 and Internet Explorer 4.0 on a 640x480) and
acceptable (although now a bit on the small side) on a Sun.

If you find the current result still wanting please send a

Sorry for the trouble and thank you very much for pointing
this out.

--
Bertrand Meyer, Interactive Software Engineering
ISE Building, 2nd floor, 270 Storke Road, Goleta CA 93117

http://eiffel.com

EiffelBase source available on the Web

Post by Bertrand Meye » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> While it is certainly an advantage to have this source available, is
> there any chance that some of the boilerplate can be eliminated from the
> top of each page.  In particular, the text:
> EiffelBase class
>       (HTML page generated by ISE
>       Eiffel 4.2)
> is in a large font and, combined with the ISE logo, takes up the entire
> top half of the browser window.  This requires an extra carpal tunnel
> task (scroll down) even though I just want to see the code.

The pages were checked under Netscape on a Sun, where the default
fonts make the sizes reasonable. They look too big on PCs. My
fault entirely for not checking. We have now set a smaller font size
and different type, which look fine on the Windows platforms I have
checked (Netscape 4.0 and Internet Explorer 4.0 on a 640x480 laptop)