SMG for VT (really VMS documentation and terminal info)

SMG for VT (really VMS documentation and terminal info)

Post by Richard S. Shufor » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Joel Wells/Desktop Solutions <joelw%ameritech.net> wrote in "comp.terminals":

Quote:

>  I am working with a client that uses SMG for VT.
>  I need documentation; if you know of any please let me know.

This is really not a terminal issue as such.

The SMG product (rumored to stand for "Screen Management Guidelines"
although "Screen Management Facility" is now the official name) is a
layered product that is used with the OpenVMS operating system from
the part of Compaq that once was called Digital Equipment.

SMG provides facilities for forms-based I/O on character-mode
asynchronous video terminals.  Just remember to "paste" your form
after you have built it!

Some VMS documentation is still available from this Web URL:

    http://www.openvms.digital.com:81/

and specifically for SMG:

    http://www.openvms.digital.com:81/72final/5935/5935pro.html

Other archived information on using character-cell video terminals,
such as VT100s, with several operating systems is available from here:

    http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html

Follow the link:
"Setting up your computer's operating system to support terminals."

--
 ...Richard S. Shuford
    <shuford(at)list.stratagy.com>

Post by Arne Vajh? » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Joel Wells/Desktop Solutions <joelw%ameritech.net> wrote in "comp.terminals":
> >  I am working with a client that uses SMG for VT.
> >  I need documentation; if you know of any please let me know.
> The SMG product (rumored to stand for "Screen Management Guidelines"
> although "Screen Management Facility" is now the official name) is a
> layered product that is used with the OpenVMS operating system from
> the part of Compaq that once was called Digital Equipment.

Just a small note: SMG is part of VMS not a layered product.

Arne