Media: Alberta govt to spend $100 million on health care Y2K bug

Media: Alberta govt to spend $100 million on health care Y2K bug

Post by Robert Ega » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

These machines have a computer in them. These computers have a mother
board, just like your PC at home. These mother boards have a clock chip,
just like every other mother board in existence.

This clock chip may fail on 1/1/00, causing the mother board to fail,
causing the machine to shut itself off, causing the patient to die.

Remember: Just because you can't see a date doesn't mean there is no
clock chip.

"Absence of evidence IS NOT evidence of absence"

Hope this helps
Robert Egan

--
"Did you ever wonder how much deeper the ocean would be
if it weren't full of sponges?" - Steven Wright

To reply by mail, set nospam ==> regan

Media: Alberta govt to spend $100 million on health care Y2K bug

Post by Tony Toe » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

http://www.southam.com/edmontonjournal/news/alberta/031798ab1.html

$100M to fight health bug

Tom Arnold
Provincial Affairs Writer

Edmonton - Regional health authorities are getting more than
$100 million in new cash today but it's earmarked for upgrading
computers, not hospitals.

"There is a very serious problem looming in health care," Premier
Ralph Klein said Monday.

"This problem has to do with Compliance 2000. Basically, unless
we address this situation with significant dollars, lung machines,
heart machines, MRIs and CAT scans will come to a halt."

Such machines, as well as other equipment including pacemakers
and elevators, contain a computer component that can't
differentiate between 1900 and the year 2000.

<snip>

Klein called the campaign to overhaul the computer systems "a complex
mechanical issue that we have to start working on now."

<discussion about current health care problems snipped>

I'll post the official govt press release URL once it appears on the
govt web site.

Note that the population of Alberta is roughly 2 million people.
Also note that there is no mention of accounting systems although
money could be earmarked for those as well.  It would appear that all
the money is going towards embedded systems.

The regional health authorities mentioned are govt agencies for lack
of a better word.  Health care in Canada is a govt supplied and
rationed function.   The RHA's have only been existence for a few
years and are amalamations of many hospital or much smaller boards.
Thus I suspect their accounting systems may be quite modern.  My local
RHA is running Accpac for Windows which, according to CA's website, is
compliant.

Tony
----
Message posted to newsgroup and emailed.
Tony Toews, Independent Computer Consultant
The Year 2000 crisis: Will my parents or your grand parents still be receiving
their pension in January, 2000?  See www.granite.ab.ca/year2000 for more info.
Microsoft Access Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Post by Michae » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> http://www.southam.com/edmontonjournal/news/alberta/031798ab1.html

> $100M to fight health bug

> Tom Arnold
> Provincial Affairs Writer

> Edmonton - Regional health authorities are getting more than
> $100 million in new cash today but it's earmarked for upgrading
> computers, not hospitals.

> "There is a very serious problem looming in health care," Premier
> Ralph Klein said Monday.

> "This problem has to do with Compliance 2000. Basically, unless
> we address this situation with significant dollars, lung machines,
> heart machines, MRIs and CAT scans will come to a halt."

<big snip>

Post by docdw.. » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> http://www.southam.com/edmontonjournal/news/alberta/031798ab1.html

>> $100M to fight health bug

[bigger snip]

Quote:

><big snip>

>Someone please explain why either heart or lung machines would care
>one iota about what the date is??????

>I am skeptical.

Ummmm... date of last service, date of last calibration, that sort of
things?

DD

Media: Alberta govt to spend $100 million on health care Y2K bug

Post by Monte Fergus » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

<snippings>

Quote:> Someone please explain why either heart or lung machines would care
> one iota about what the date is??????

> I am skeptical.

> Mike

Dunno about heart/lung, but a little while ago someone was posting about
the use of radioactive isotopes in medical equipment. The hardware has to
know how old the isotope is so it can adjust exposure time by the amount
of decay that's occured.

If a Y2K bug causes the CPU to think the isotope is 99 years old it could
give a patient a massive overdose of radiation.

A philosophy I'm using: just because *I* can't think of a reason someone
would put a clock chip in a piece of equipmentr doesn't mean an *expert*
in the field wouldn't. Best to test.

Post by Tony Toe » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>http://www.southam.com/edmontonjournal/news/alberta/031798ab1.html

Official government press release:
http://www.gov.ab.ca/~pab/5986.htm

A one-time allocation of $130 million is being provided from the
Alberta Lottery Fund to health authorities and Alberta's health system
to ensure that key medical equipment and health computer systems are
Year 2000 compliant, announced Health Minister Halvar Jonson and
Economic Development Minister Pat Black. The funding is in addition to
the one-time $40 million funding for equipment for health authorities
announced in January, 1998.

In making the announcement Jonson said "We have acknowledged that
ensuring that essential medical equipment is Year 2000 compliant is a
unique and high cost issue challenging Alberta's health system. The
$130 million being provided today, along with the previously announced
$40 million one-time allocation, will support our health authorities
in securing the safety of medical equipment and computers through
testing, repair or replacement over the next two years."

Added Jonson, "An additional benefit to health authorities from this
one-time funding is that it will free-up resources that the Regions
would have required to address ongoing equipment replacement
costs and allow these resources to be redirected to address short term
operating cost pressures and pressure points at the local level."

BTW I had an EKG done a while back.  And the date and time were
printed on the piece of paper.  A problem?  Likely just cosmetic but
how do you know?

Tony
----
Message posted to newsgroup and emailed.
Tony Toews, Independent Computer Consultant
The Year 2000 crisis: Will my parents or your grand parents still be receiving
their pension in January, 2000?  See www.granite.ab.ca/year2000 for more info.
Microsoft Access Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

1. US Govt Says Health Care Problems Remain A Y2K Risk

From the Dow Jones Newswires.

Robert Folsom
================
October 5, 1999
Dow Jones Newswires
US Govt Says Health Care Problems Remain A Y2K Risk

WASHINGTON (AP)--Medical care and bills could be disrupted by the Year 2000
computer bug, government investigators say, citing new surveys of health
care providers.

"There are some significant gaps that have to be bridged yet," George Grob,
the Health and Human Services Department's deputy inspector general, said
Tuesday.

The inspector general mailed surveys June 30 to 5,000 providers of health
care for elderly and disabled Americans covered by Medicare, including
doctors, hospitals, nursing homes, home care agencies and medical equipment
suppliers.

Since nearly all health care providers participate in Medicare, the survey
results also give some idea of Y2K preparedness in the health care industry
generally.

Fewer than half of the 1,924 caregivers responding said all of their
biomedical equipment, such as X-ray machines and respirators, is Y2K ready.

About two-thirds said their billing and record-keeping systems are ready.
However, one-third said they had not tested information exchanges with
vendors or bill-processing contractors.

"We find a great lack of testing and, in the computer world in particular,
if you haven't tested, you don't know," said Grob.

In a separate IG survey of 161 HMOs participating in Medicare, 85% said they
were Y2K ready.

The health department, the Clinton administration's Y2K task force and
congressional auditors have previously raised concerns that the medical
industry isn't doing enough to address the year 2000 computer glitch.

Industry groups such as the American Hospital Association insist providers
are making progress and will be ready.

Nevertheless, Medicare, which pays insurance claims for 39 million
Americans, is warning providers of potential financial consequences if they
aren't prepared.

"If they can't get their bills to us, they just won't get paid," said Dr.
Robert A. Berenson, the director of Medicare's center for health plans and
providers.

Doctors, hospitals and others are barred by law from billing the elderly and
disabled up front for medical services.

Providers finding they must switch from filing electronic Medicare claims to
paper claims because they are unprepared will have to wait longer for
payment. By law, Medicare must pay bills submitted electronically within 14
days, but has 27 days to process old-fashioned paper bills.

2. WinSock2 resource leak

3. $100 MILLION In Lost Sales From $112 MILLION Hershey SAP-Based System?

4. Mac Programmer Wanted in Bay Area

5. Apple spends $13 million on Y2K compliance, up $6 million from estimate !!

6. Homepage Problem - asp/htm

7. $100+ Million Of Unnoticed Accounting Errors At Y2K Compliant True Value Hardware

8. API to inject (close tray) on a CD-ROM

9. Another $100 million drop in the bucket

10. US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

11. Health-care industry's Y2K actions `woefully inadequate,'

12. Y2K potentially deadly in health-care field

13. Russia will spend $187 MILLION on Y2K repairs