I am damned if I do, and I am damned if I don't

I am damned if I do, and I am damned if I don't

Post by woodyhous » Sun, 21 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the intelligent post! Very enlightening...

Woody

1. Damned if we do plan and damned if we don't

"Y2k and self-fulfilling prophecy: Damned if we do plan and damned if we
don't
By Bill Koenig - 09/03/98
Many people today are discussing and debating Y2k and the impact that it
will
have on our economy. One hears "yes it will have a major impact" or "no-it
won't have a major impact."
However, a major economic correction is beginning to occur as millions of
people start their planning and preparing for the Y2k event. (Not to mention
the other main events I shared with you a few weeks ago.)
There are those greatly concerned by what they have called the economic
fallout potential of "self-fulfilling prophecy." And many of those concerned
sit with the "it won't be a big deal" group. They are doing everything
possible to put a positive spin on Y2k, because of their fear of what a
great
multitude of "planners and preparers" could do to the economy at large.
However, Dr. Ed Yardeni of Deutsche Bank Securities says, "Plan for the
worst
and hope for the best."
The irony of the situation, is the planning by itself is sure to produce a
major economic correction. It will bring forth a "significant" correction in
our financial markets, because millions of people will stop buying frivolous
items, delay major expenditures, pay down debt, and put money in savings.
These actions will affect our economy significantly because our economy
relies on its consumers to produce two-thirds of the overall economic
activity.
Our economy's growth and financial prosperity is a product of consumption.
Y2k planning and preparation will work contrary to that economic philosophy.
Thus, we as consumers are in a tough position, we are "damned if we do plan
and damned if we don't."
The Bible, in Proverbs states, "A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge,
but the simple keep going and suffer for it." (Proverbs 22:3 (NIV))
Therefore, we have no other choice put to plan and prepare, even if our
efforts are partially responsible for a major economic downturn. "

--------------------------------------
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems
of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest
and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to
admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in
explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to
others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into
the fabric of their lives. -- Leo Tolstoy

2. Font help needed - can not see read messages

3. Were damned if we do and were damned if we don't

4. Hebrew Fonts

5. Medicare Is Gone, No Ifs ,Ands Or Buts.

6. Seeking BARBEDOR

7. Wow, I am glad that I am not responsible for any more PC's.....

8. XP and Irda for 5mx?

9. need info on IFS

10. I can't get into 'Z', am I a slack jawed cretin ?

11. Wanted: I am Looking for a DOS application development program called Hyperpad

12. I am doing a review but need more info for judging it properly and completely.

13. NPR 'Morning Edition' Tues AM