PVCS VM 6.0

Post by Tom » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone tried this yet? is there a big change?

PVCS VM 6.0

Post by Bo Johanss » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anyone tried this yet? is there a big change?

I upgraded ver 5.3 to 6.0 on our site. There was a (small) list of
updates, but nothing major. Here's the list of corrections from the
readme file.

    1.1  Version Manager Retains Spaces in Archive Directories
         Created with Project Assistant
    1.2  Version Manager Correctly Updates Write Protected
         Reference Files
    1.3  Archives No Longer Corrupted when Deleting File Revisions
         With CompressDelta and NoGenerateDelta in Effect
    1.4  Journal Reports Now List Activity by Date Range
    1.5  Windows 95 Only: Difference Report Now Displays
         Line Numbers on the Screen
    1.6  GUI Only: Canceling When Copying Files or Folders to a
         Folder No Longer Leaves the Folder Open and Locked
    1.7  GUI Windows NT Only: Files with certain attributes
         display properly

If you have a working 5.3 installation and none of the above items
troube you, there's not much point in upgrading unless you are on the
support program (As we are). In that case the upgrade is so cheap one
might as well do it...

Regards
Bo Johansson
SW Engineer

PVCS VM 6.0

Post by Pat Luth » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>> But as far as the basic VM GUI product itself, there is no change.
>Interesting.
>Last year I talked to a Intersolv support guy and he promised me that the
>next release of PVCS will be totally redesigend to be client/server,

You believed a "promise" from a tech support guy?
Since when does *anyone* *ever* know what's gonna be in a software
release a *year* in the future?

Quote:>thus no
>longer these ancient archives, but a real server with real access control
>etc.
>Seems that this is all vaporware ....

Actually, no.
While there aren't many changes in VM 6.0 from VM 5.3 (bug fixes, Y2K,  and
the like. No new features that I've found yet.) They have a new product
called VM server, which does have all that client/server stuff with a
"real server with real access control"

                                        ??pat

The opinions expressed herein are probably not those of Qualcomm.
We don't really agree on all that much....

1. PVCS VM 6.0 brings PVCS Tracker included?

Is "PVCS Tracker" included in "PVCS Version Manager 6.0" or is it only a
part of
"PVCS VM Server" ?

Thanks for your help

---------------------------------------
Paulo Silva

CRITICAL SOFTWARE, LDA
INSTITUTO PEDRO NUNES, QUINTA DA NORA,
3030 COIMBRA, PORTUGAL
TEL. +351.39.700945, FAX. +351.39.700905

http://www.criticalsoftware.com

2. Alternative Monitors for Atari ST

3. PVCS VM 6.0 - Changing the location of existing archives?

4. Adding NT to Novell

5. How To Delete Versioned Files From 6.0 Projects with PVCS VM 6.x

6. Q: device for multiple input to a monitor

7. Connect PVCS tracker anda PVCS VM

8. display a jpg file on a child window

9. PVCS VM, PVCS Tracker And PowerBuilder: Integration ?

10. Merant PVCS version manager 6.0 to 6.8

11. PVCS 6.0 lock by promotion group behavior has changed

12. PVCS 6.0

13. PVCS upgrade from 5.0 to 6.0