DEC 3000/300 Firmware Update: 7.0 Needed

DEC 3000/300 Firmware Update: 7.0 Needed

Post by Brent Hetherwic » Sun, 10 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello.

I have a DEC 3000/300.  I've purchased the hobbyist OpenVMS kit from
Montagar, and obtained a hobbyist license.  Unfortunately, the CDROM,
when I boot it, tells me that I must have firmware 7.0 or later, and
that I'm currently using firmware 6.9.

Now, I can't get the machine to boot via MOP or Bootp from a NetBSD
1.4 server, though this server has had no problems in Bootp-ing an
NCD X-Terminal, a SUN Sparc, and a Mac/System 7.5 box.  Thus, I suspect
that Bootp is "broken".  Hence, installing the firmware update by Bootp
or MOP seems out of the question, or at least I need further guidance
in getting this to work.  (For what it's worth, Dhcpd seems oblivious to
the Bootp requests, when I run it in "debug" mode; could it be that the
requests are being sent on a nonstandard port?)

I've also tried using the "mkbootfirm" utility suggested for the
creation
of boot floppies, to write the firmware update code directly to a SCSI
disk under OSF/1, then attempting to boot from it, but this hasn't
worked.
The machine doesn't have a floppy drive, and it has only SCSI, in the
way
of potential floppy interfaces, and I don't have access to a SCSI floppy
drive (if such a thing exists).

Does anyone have an idea of what I might try next?

Brent Hetherwick

Reply to:  hetherwi at math dot wisc dot edu

Post by Michael Enge » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00

: I have a DEC 3000/300.  I've purchased the hobbyist OpenVMS kit from
: Montagar, and obtained a hobbyist license.  Unfortunately, the CDROM,
: when I boot it, tells me that I must have firmware 7.0 or later, and
: that I'm currently using firmware 6.9.

: Now, I can't get the machine to boot via MOP or Bootp from a NetBSD
: 1.4 server, though this server has had no problems in Bootp-ing an
: NCD X-Terminal, a SUN Sparc, and a Mac/System 7.5 box.  Thus, I suspect
: that Bootp is "broken".

Correct. The 6.9 firmware is known to have problems with booting
via bootp/tftp. If inserting the option
vm=rfc1048
in your bootptab entry doesn't work, read on ...

: Hence, installing the firmware update by Bootp
: or MOP seems out of the question, or at least I need further guidance
: in getting this to work.

Updating the firmware via MOP did work for me, you'll only need a working
MOP server (the one I used is mopd-2.5.3 running on Linux). After installing
mopd, put the .SYS firmware image in /tftpboot/mop and name it
abcdefg.SYS with abcdefg = ethernet (hardware) address of your Alpha in
hex, e.g. 08002b3fbe79.SYS, and boot the Alpha via MOP (boot eva0, IIRC).

: (For what it's worth, Dhcpd seems oblivious to
: the Bootp requests, when I run it in "debug" mode; could it be that the
: requests are being sent on a nonstandard port?)

The problem with the bootp requests from some of the firmware versions is
that the first two bytes of the tftp get request are being overwritten by
0x00 but the checksum gets calculated as if the proper two bytes were in
place. So the Alpha sends out a bogus IP packet (wrong checksum) which
gets discarded. One of the NetBSD developers has developed a nice
utility which runs on the bootp server and listens (in promiscous mode)
to the incoming packets. As soon as it detects the bogus tftp request,
it sends out a correct one to the bootp server. I couldn't believe this
works but in fact it works really fine ! I don't know where I found that
program so I put it up on
ftp://ftp.unix-ag.org/pub/os/linux/alpha/bootfix-0.17.tgz

: I've also tried using the "mkbootfirm" utility suggested for the
: creation
: of boot floppies, to write the firmware update code directly to a SCSI
: disk under OSF/1, then attempting to boot from it, but this hasn't
: worked.
: The machine doesn't have a floppy drive, and it has only SCSI, in the
: way
: of potential floppy interfaces, and I don't have access to a SCSI floppy
: drive (if such a thing exists).

I was able to boot my 3000/300X from a Iomega floptical (20 MB SCSI
optical drive that can also read/write standard 3.5" floppy disks).

regards,
        Michael
--

DEC 3000/300 Firmware Update: 7.0 Needed

Post by Vance R. Haemmer » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hello.

>I have a DEC 3000/300.  I've purchased the hobbyist OpenVMS kit from
>Montagar, and obtained a hobbyist license.  Unfortunately, the CDROM,
>when I boot it, tells me that I must have firmware 7.0 or later, and
>that I'm currently using firmware 6.9.

>Does anyone have an idea of what I might try next?

  Let me know if you still have problems.  I'm pretty sure I have a spare
firmware update CDROM I could send you that has the 7.0 firmware.

--
Vance Haemmerle

DEC 3000/300 Firmware Update: 7.0 Needed

Post by Mark Lamon » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

I appear to be in much the same situation as you - here goes!

I have managed to get OpenVMS on a freeware license, and have the media
also. Unfortunately the firmware in my machine is too old. I have tried
setting up my BOOTP server up on my Linux Box, but i cannot get the DEC to
boot from it, although i have previously used the BOOTP server on my Linux
box to boot one of my NCD 88k X terminals, so it obviously works to some
extent. I think it may be because i have not entered the IP address of the
DEC 3000 in /etc/bootptab. Do you know how to set the IP address of the DEC
3000, or find out what it is, i have the hardware address, but not the IP? I
have the feeling i will have to configure up DCHP or something to allocate
an ip address.

Is there an easier way of upgrading the firmware? The easiest solution to me
seems to try and get hold of the "Firmware Update Utility Compact Disc" and
boot from that. Is there any way i could get the files that are on this CD,
as i could burn one myself as i have a CD-Writer?

Could i somehow make a bootable CD-ROM, with the update utility on it, which
i could then run. The firmware upgrade guide details how to use a floppy
disk to update the firmware, so perhaps i could manage to put the required
file on a CD-ROM instead of a floppy?

I also thought of trying to boot from the SCSI hard drive, but how would i
go about formatting it. Could i just shove it in my Linux box an format it
from there, and the copy the files i needed across?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Mark Lamond

> >Hello.

> >I have a DEC 3000/300.  I've purchased the hobbyist OpenVMS kit from
> >Montagar, and obtained a hobbyist license.  Unfortunately, the CDROM,
> >when I boot it, tells me that I must have firmware 7.0 or later, and
> >that I'm currently using firmware 6.9.

> >Does anyone have an idea of what I might try next?

>   Let me know if you still have problems.  I'm pretty sure I have a spare
> firmware update CDROM I could send you that has the 7.0 firmware.

> --
> Vance Haemmerle

DEC 3000/300 Firmware Update: 7.0 Needed

Post by Roger Moron » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I was in the same situation with my 3000/300. I found the 5.1 version
of the firmware cdrom at work and tried it out. From what I had read,
I didn't think it would get me a high enough firmware version but it
turned out fine. I now have 7.2 running on my 3000/300.

I have a cd burner at work. If you can't get a copy elsewhere, I might
be able to make one. I've never tried making a VMS cd on a PC.

Roger

DEC 3000/300 Firmware Update: 7.0 Needed

Post by Mark Lamon » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I would greatly appreciate a copy of the CD. I think that they would copy OK
with a program like Nero or something similar. You could allways read the
contents of the CD to a hard drive as an ISO image (which most programs
allow) and then burn the image to CD. I am going to try backing up my
OpenVMS freeware discs in the next few days, so i'll let you know how i get
on.

I am based in the UK? Would there be any chance that you could mail me a
copy of the CD? How much data is actually on the CD as if it is not too much
i could maybe get you to post and ISO image of the CD to a web server for me
to download and then burn to CD myself?

Meanwhile, i will keep trying to get BOOTP working!

Thanks for your help.

Mark Lamond

> I was in the same situation with my 3000/300. I found the 5.1 version
> of the firmware cdrom at work and tried it out. From what I had read,
> I didn't think it would get me a high enough firmware version but it
> turned out fine. I now have 7.2 running on my 3000/300.

> I have a cd burner at work. If you can't get a copy elsewhere, I might
> be able to make one. I've never tried making a VMS cd on a PC.

> Roger

1. DEC 3000/300 firmware wanted ...

Hi,

I'm looking for a SRM console firmware for my DEC 3000/300 and 3000/300X
that can properly boot via bootp/tftp. The current versions 6.9 and 7.0 I
found on gatekeeper send out a bogus tftp RRQ packet via UDP which is
discarded by the server's IP stack. I've been told that version 6.3 should
work but I was only able to dig out 6.4 or really old versions (2.4 ...)
here.  So, if anyone could send me a [DEC3000]M300_V6_3.EXE (or .SYS) file,
I'd be really happy.

regards,
        Michael
--

2. Help om error message

3. Firmware upgrade prob on early 3000/300

4. GetCurrentProcess Fail returns 0

5. Need help flashing DEC 3000/300 with MOP

6. pdf post

7. Item Needed: Looking For Case For DEC 3000-300 & 500

8. Replacing data in 1 table from another

9. Parts needed for DEC 3000 300

10. Upgrades avail. for 3000/300,2000/300?

11. DEC 3000/300 Memory

12. HELP REQUIRED: DEC 3000 (Model 300?) pin-outs?

13. 4Sale: DEC 3000-300 Alpha best offer