CVS-1.10 pserver on AIX-4.2.1 - port 2401 already in use

CVS-1.10 pserver on AIX-4.2.1 - port 2401 already in use

Post by kevin.broa.. » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to install CVS-1.10 on an IBM RS/6000 running AIX-4.2.1. I
want to set it up to use the pserver access method so I can keep the
repository well away from the developer workstations. The problem is
that port 2401 is already taken in the /etc/services file. It contains
the following:-

    writesrv 2401/tcp # Temporary Port Number

Now I could do the dirty and change this line to

    cvspserver 2401/tcp

but before I do I'd like to know the consequences of my actions.

What is the writesrv service? Will it be happy if I put it on a
different port on just one server, or do I have to hack /etc/services
on my entire network? Will it be happy if it disappears completely from
/etc/services?

I've seen a couple of postings saying that there's an AIX patch to fix
this problem, but I couldn't find it in the APAR database on IBM's web
site.

Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry if this message is a duplicate -
the last copy I sent disappeared into the void.

Kevin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. CVS-1.10 pserver on AIX-4.2.1: port 2401 already in use

I'm installing CVS-1.10 on an AIX-4.2.1 system and I want to use the
pserver access method to keep the repository isolated from the
developers.  The problem is that port 2401 is already in use - the
/etc/services file contains this:-

    writesrv 2401/tcp # Temporary Port Number

Before I go hacking away and replace this line with the "cvspserver"
service I thought I'd better find out what the consequences will be.

So what is the "writesrv" service? Will my machine work if it isn't
there at all? Would it be better for me to change it to use a different
port number? If so, what?

Alternatively, how do I tell CVS to use a different port number
(without recompiling)?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

PS It would be helpful if you would email me a copy of you response.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Problems running a star

3. The Jargon File v2.2.1 15 DEC 1990, part 10 of 10

4. Help -Deskwriter->pc

5. Manually assigning TCP/IP port - check if port is already used

6. Need Help

7. why cvs.exe [status aborted]: connect to linuxserver:2401 failed: Connection refused

8. DOS full screen session lockups, Please help

9. The Jargon File v2.2.1 15 DEC 1990, part 8 of 10

10. The Jargon File v2.2.1 15 DEC 1990, part 6 of 10

11. The Jargon File v2.2.1 15 DEC 1990, part 5 of 10

12. The Jargon File v2.2.1 15 DEC 1990, part 4 of 10