Milne vs. BKS(doom vs. poly)

Post by scott kauffm » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

A modest proposal; It seems many of us here can not accept any news that
flys in the face of what we already belive about y2k. That's bad for
everyone, but understandable. Once a man takes a hard and fast stand on
any issue it is very difficult to back down without feeling like an
idiot. If you two have the STONES, if you really have open minds, I
propose you each post the strongest arguement you can muster in SUPPORT
of the other side's position. Paul, what is the most optimistic slant
you can muster for y2k? Use everything you know about y2k but be as
positive as you realistically can be. BKS, do the same, with everything
you know re:y2k, give it the hardest 'doom' spin you can support with
facts. I DARE you both to play devil's advocate, and to play it strait.
No 'straw' men to easily knock down. Why? Because you two, me, and
everyone in this NG will learn something that just might change our
views on the comming y2k event. Both of you are intelligent, both of you
argue your side well....but are each of you MAN enough to honestly take
this challenge?!?   I really hope so.  Good luck and God bless.  --Scott

Milne vs. BKS(doom vs. poly)

Post by Ron Schwarz -- see sig to rep » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>A modest proposal; It seems many of us here can not accept any news that
>flys in the face of what we already belive about y2k. That's bad for
>everyone, but understandable. Once a man takes a hard and fast stand on
>any issue it is very difficult to back down without feeling like an
>idiot. If you two have the STONES, if you really have open minds, I
>propose you each post the strongest arguement you can muster in SUPPORT
>of the other side's position. Paul, what is the most optimistic slant
>you can muster for y2k? Use everything you know about y2k but be as
>positive as you realistically can be. BKS, do the same, with everything
>you know re:y2k, give it the hardest 'doom' spin you can support with
>facts. I DARE you both to play devil's advocate, and to play it strait.
>No 'straw' men to easily knock down. Why? Because you two, me, and
>everyone in this NG will learn something that just might change our
>views on the comming y2k event. Both of you are intelligent, both of you
>argue your side well....but are each of you MAN enough to honestly take
>this challenge?!?   I really hope so.  Good luck and God bless.  --Scott

Thanks for redefining Usenet.

We unilaterally bow before your majesty.

--
  When they say, "Eat your spam," I say, "Drink your [purple] Koolaid".

  Sender: crosscut
  Domain: killtrees.com

Milne vs. BKS(doom vs. poly)

Post by scott kauffm » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

First ...Good for you Paul to accept my challenge. Second ....I really,
really, really hope you are wrong. I want to belive that senerio is
about near a worst case y2k event, but Third...I am really, really,
really afraid you just may be right. Last...Mr.Sherman, we are
waiting.....     Scott

Milne vs. BKS(doom vs. poly)

Post by Jo Anne Slave » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Worst case: Global Thermonuclear War, Gary North has Tim May's
> Love child, Paul Milne stuck in elevator with Monica Lewinsky,
> DocDwarf made immortal and cloned by Mad doctor and has to spend
> eternity exchanging email messages with himself,  Frank Ney
> posts 2147483647 messages to csy2k in one sitting, D. Scott
> Secor made Maitre D' at only surviving restaurant, Y2kWhit
> made Secretary of Education, AOL only surviving ISP, Bill
> Gates and Madeline Albright last surviving fertile couple
> (besides Tim and Gary).  Arrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggh

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!

Jo Anne

Milne vs. BKS(doom vs. poly)

Post by bill mck » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

mr.sherman,
you were given the chance to go head to head with
mr.milne and the best you could do was make a damn
joke of it.
i am growing weary of the flame war between the two
of you.

damnit this affects all of us.

sorry this is my first post since my wife mis-carried.
and my tension is high.

no matter how you slice/dice/chop/or peel it
y2k will be bad how bad remains to be seen
but i implore all to chat with equal demeanor and
good taste.

bill mckee
flux capasitor (stopped fluxing)

*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***

[...]

Since Mr. Sherman could not step up to the plate, I would like to invite
any other self pro-claimed poly to come forward and meet the challenge.
Say what you want about Paul Milne, but that man has the guts to be
open-minded.  --Scott--

Milne vs. BKS(doom vs. poly)

Post by Bradley K. Sherm » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>First ...Good for you Paul to accept my challenge. Second ....I really,
>really, really hope you are wrong. I want to belive that senerio is
>about near a worst case y2k event, but Third...I am really, really,
>really afraid you just may be right. Last...Mr.Sherman, we are
>waiting.....     Scott

Worst case: Global Thermonuclear War, Gary North has Tim May's
Love child, Paul Milne stuck in elevator with Monica Lewinsky,
DocDwarf made immortal and cloned by Mad doctor and has to spend
eternity exchanging email messages with himself,  Frank Ney
posts 2147483647 messages to csy2k in one sitting, D. Scott
Secor made Maitre D' at only surviving restaurant, Y2kWhit
made Secretary of Education, AOL only surviving ISP, Bill
Gates and Madeline Albright last surviving fertile couple
(besides Tim and Gary).  Arrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggh

    --bks

Milne vs. BKS(doom vs. poly)

Post by The Goober » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[snippage]

Quote:> DocDwarf made immortal and cloned by Mad doctor and has to spend
> eternity exchanging email messages with himself,

Enough about me... but what of Lazarus?

DD

Milne vs. BKS(doom vs. poly)

Post by Bradley K. Sherm » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>mr.sherman,
>you were given the chance to go head to head with
>mr.milne and the best you could do was make a damn
>joke of it.
>i am growing weary of the flame war between the two
>of you.

I am weary of your idiosyncratic capitalization,
so we're even.  Go back to alt.queasy.mediators.

    --bks

Milne vs. BKS(doom vs. poly)

Post by Genrober » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Milne: 1
bks:     0 (appropriate)

game's over; Paul wins

Milne vs. BKS(doom vs. poly)

Post by Y2K Wh » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

<<Worst case senerio ..
Y2kWhit
made Secretary of Education,
bks>

RFLMAO! THWAPPPPPPP!!!!!!

Milne vs. BKS(doom vs. poly)

Post by Dave Eastabroo » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Since Mr. Sherman could not step up to the plate, I would like to invite
>any other self pro-claimed poly to come forward and meet the challenge.
>Say what you want about Paul Milne, but that man has the guts to be
>open-minded.  --Scott--

I rather think Brad met the challenge quite well:

Quote:>Worst case: Global Thermonuclear War

Or don't you think that answer was severe enough for a DoomBrood?

Whereas the best Milne could come up with was:

Quote:>The most optimistic outlook is a depression much worse than the thirties just
>short of societal collapse. Large chunks of infrastructure gone. Over half
>the population unemployed. Government barely manage to hold on by the skin of
>their teeth, mostly by sheer force of arms.

Which is hardly representative of a Pollyanna viewpoint.  It would have
been better if he said the world was holding hands and singing Kumbaya.

:Dave      [I thought Brad's answer was very funny]

1. REXX vs Perl vs sh vs awk vs ...

                                                ... As I have
   already stated, LISP, FORTH etc. are syntactically ill suited for the
   run of the mill programmer and most casual users.

This appears to be a baseless, [perhaps even a meaningless] claim. It
has wasted a lot of bandwith before, with nothing more than anecdotal
"evidence" or "experience" to back it up.

Is there anything new you wanted to say?

oz
---

that is very little. -- Dan Rather    |   phone: 416 736 2100 x 33976

2. ntx852

3. ccc/Harvest vs ClearCase vs MKS vs PVCS : The best ?

4. how to keep the IPAQ 3600 battery in best condition?

5. Clearcase VS PVCS VS CCC/Harvest VS Razor

6. ** 03-037 Flaw in Visual Basic - Critical rating

7. G4-PPC vs ALPHA vs 8086 vs Merced

8. roaming profile desktop background doesnt roam!

9. Year 2000: Doom vs Reason

10. VLSI qustion....(poly-poly interconnects in CMOS)

11. Printer cost per page - laser vs. inkjet vs. dot

12. The Shareware concept: Shareware vs. Crippleware vs. Nagware

13. EDO vs SD vs Regular RAM Question