Professor & Head, Department of Computer Science, RMIT, AUSTRALIA

Post by Isaac Balb » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Department of Computer Science
Faculty of Applied Science

Professor and Head of Department

The Department of Computer Science at RMIT University (Royal Melbourne
Institute of Technology) intends to appoint a new Head of Department,
for January 1997. The Department is one of the largest computer science
departments in Australia with approximately 50 academic staff members
across its central City and Bundoora campuses, and offers a number of
courses and research programs to PhD level. The Department has
established research groups in Artificial Intelligence, Database
Systems, Distributed Systems, Document Management and Software
Engineering, and is involved in collaborative ventures with other
institutions in Melbourne.

The successful candidate will be expected to provide broad academic
leadership. Experience in one of the established research areas of the
Department is preferred but not mandatory. The candidate will also be
expected to support the Department's commitment to close links with
industry, and to provide the vision and leadership to maintain the
Department's innovative outlook into the coming century. It is expected
that the appointment will be made at the Professorial level.

Interested candidates can view the position description on the WWW
using the following URL

                http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/HoD/

Other URL's which may be of interest include

                http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/

                http://www.rmit.edu.au/

Any further enquiries should be addressed to the Dean,
Faculty of Applied Science via email as:

-------------------------
Note: The closing date is Friday, August 16, 1996.
-------------------------

Post by M.Bearn » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Department of Computer Science
> Faculty of Applied Science

> Professor and Head of Department

> The Department of Computer Science at RMIT University (Royal Melbourne
> Institute of Technology) intends to appoint a new Head of Department,
> for January 1997. The Department is one of the largest computer science

Hello,

I'm looking for some reference material on the use of Icons in
cross-cultural systems (i.e. what icons are most
appropriate in systems which will be used in different locations around
the world).  Specifically, I'm interested in icons and notations which
can be used to represent procedural flows of events.

Can anybody suggest some suitable reading material.

Cheers,

Mike.

Professor & Head, Department of Computer Science, RMIT, AUSTRALIA

Post by M.Bearn » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

Can you please ignore the first part of my previous message (i.e.
anything with a '>' in front of it).  I inadvertently copied part of
another message in my post.

Thanks,

Mike.

Professor & Head, Department of Computer Science, RMIT, AUSTRALIA

Post by Jamison H Abbo » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

(inadvertently copied material deleted)

Quote:>I'm looking for some reference material on the use of Icons in
>cross-cultural systems (i.e. what icons are most
>appropriate in systems which will be used in different locations around
>the world).  Specifically, I'm interested in icons and notations which
>can be used to represent procedural flows of events.
>Can anybody suggest some suitable reading material.
>Cheers,
>Mike.

Mike: I sorry to say that what you're looking for doesn't really
exist.  That is, it is very difficult (some would say imposssible) to
create culturally neutral icons.  At best, you might hit upon an icon
that _happens_ to be usable with more than one culture.  How will you
know this?  Well, you really need to usability test your icon designs
with sample users from all the cultural groups that will be using your
system.  In this regard, it really pays to have an experienced Graphic
Designer create your test designs.  Also, if your Graphic Designer is
not familiar with the target culture(s), then they should work closely
with someone (a consultant, local marketing person, etc.) who is.  One
last thing: creating icons to represent abstract concepts (i.e.,
"...procedural flows of events") is particularly difficult--good luck!

Regards,
Jim Abbott
Chair, Greater Boston Chapter, ACM SIGCHI  (GB/SIGCHI)

Copyright (C) 1996 by Jamison H. Abbott.  All Rights Reserved.

Post by Christine Pi » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I'm looking for some reference material on the use of Icons in
>cross-cultural systems (i.e. what icons are most
>appropriate in systems which will be used in different locations around
>the world).  Specifically, I'm interested in icons and notations which
>can be used to represent procedural flows of events.
>Can anybody suggest some suitable reading material.
>Cheers,
>Mike.

In 1993 I attended an OZCHI conference in Canberra, Australia where
one presentation was on standardisation on icons, I believe at the ISO
level.  I have been unable to trace a reference from the hardcopy of
the conference but you could try Penny Collings of the University of

cheers Chris

Post by Peter Nol » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I'm looking for some reference material on the use of Icons in
>cross-cultural systems (i.e. what icons are most
>appropriate in systems which will be used in different locations around
>the world).  Specifically, I'm interested in icons and notations which
>can be used to represent procedural flows of events.
>Can anybody suggest some suitable reading material.

R.S. Easterby and H. Zwaga did a lot of work together on icons and
public information symbols, some of it cross-cultural.  Their work was
done from the mid-1970's to the mid-1980's, and was published in
technical reports at Aston University in England and Utrecht
University in the Netherlands.

They also co-edited a book published by Wiley Europe, I think it was
called "Information Presentation", containing the proceedings of a
conference on this subject.  If you look in a citation index under the
names Easterby or Zwaga you should track down the material.

Ron Easterby passed away some years ago but Harm Zwaga is still
actively researching this area.

Peter

 Vertical Research, Inc., P.O. Box 1214, Brookline, MA 02146

_______ http://www.nolan.com/~pnolan/vertical.html _____

1. Academic Positions in Computer Science at RMIT University, Australia

ACADEMIC POSITIONS IN COMPUTER SCIENCE AT RMIT UNIVERSITY MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA.

CLOSING DATE: Friday, 21st of July, 1995

Computer Science is a multi campus Department offering a range of
courses including Bachelor Degrees, Graduate Diplomas, Masters and PhD
programs.  In addition to these programs, the Department has a heavy
involvement in  research and development principally in the areas of
Database Systems, Document Management, Intelligent and Distributed
Information Systems, Artificial Intelligence, Human Computer
Communication and Software Engineering.

The successful applicants will also be expected to actively participate in
research, preferably in one of the existing research groups of the Department.

At the City Campus:

Lecturer (Positions 1447 & 4618) -  Up to 3 year contract
Lecturer (Position 3129) - Tenured
Associate Lecturer (Position 623)  -  2 1/2 year contract
Associate Lecturer (Position 1824) - Tenured
Associate Lecturer (Position 2219) - Up to 3 year Contract
Positions 1447 and 2219 to commence 1995 remaining positions
commence January 1996.

At the Bundoora Campus:

Senior Lecturer (Position 4620) - 3 year contract
Lecturer (Position 2724) - Tenured
Lecturer (Position 3297) - 2 year contract
Lecturer (Position 4621) - 3 year contract
All positions to commence January 996

Senior Lecturer

The successful applicant for this position is expected to provide leadership
in the development and delivery of academic programs, as well as to provide
research and industrial liaison leadership in an area of computer science,
preferably in the area of Distributed Information Systems.

Lecturer

The successful applicants for these positions are expected to teach in one or
more of:  Data Communications, Operating Systems, Human Computer Communication,
Information System Analysis & Design, Computer Architecture, Software
Engineering, Assembler Programming, Commercial Data Processing Systems,
Programming Languages.

For the positions offered at Bundoora:
Preference may be given to lecturers with good
knowledge and experience of Distributed Information Systems.

Further details on all positions are given in a position description
available on the World Wide Web using the URL

        http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/NewPositions/

or Heather Herbert ph. +61 3 9660 3074, fax request +61 3 9663 2518 or

Please quote the appropriate position number

Please note - a separate application must be submitted for each
position.  Applications must be faxed or mailed.  E-mail applications
will not be accepted.

2. Q: Maximized MDI child windows won't minimize or restore

3. Professor of Computer Science

4. Directx 8.1 and Dxdiag

5. Looking to Trade a 950 in Cal.

6. More on Computer Science and Arts & Sciences

7. SIngle Sign-on

8. Academic Positions in SE Engineering at RMIT, Melbourne, Australia

9. Computer Science Engineering vs. Computer Science

10. Computer Science as a Science?