How to manage dependencies

Post by Vixo » Mon, 11 Aug 2003 02:10:27

Hello,

My team recently made a software change that impacted a couple of other
programs due to an unexpected relationship between the programs and the way
they query the data (the criteria used). As our base of programs increase I
realize that we need some way of keeping track of dependencies between
programs, database tables, configuration files, dlls, etc. etc. Is there any
tool out there that can be used for this purpose?

The idea would be to query this tool before making changes to a program, to
see what are all the dependencies on this program to analyze the impact.

Thanks,

How to manage dependencies

Post by Fred » Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:56:48

Any of the good requirements management tools or ER modeling tools should
help. CA and Rational both have tool suites that can help. I know you can
reverse engineer your database into Rose and manage dependencies from there.

--
******************************
Fred Parker

How to manage dependencies

Post by JXSter » Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:29:18

Quote:>My team recently made a software change that impacted a couple of other
>programs due to an unexpected relationship between the programs and the way
>they query the data (the criteria used). As our base of programs increase I
>realize that we need some way of keeping track of dependencies between
>programs, database tables, configuration files, dlls, etc. etc. Is there any
>tool out there that can be used for this purpose?

Notepad?

J.

How to manage dependencies

Post by David Lightston » Tue, 12 Aug 2003 03:50:04

> >My team recently made a software change that impacted a couple of other
> >programs due to an unexpected relationship between the programs and the
way
> >they query the data (the criteria used). As our base of programs increase
> >realize that we need some way of keeping track of dependencies between
> >programs, database tables, configuration files, dlls, etc. etc. Is there
any
> >tool out there that can be used for this purpose?

> Notepad?

Make

It is designed for software development (ie maintain the latest and greatest
version of ZZZZ), but nothing prevents you from using it to display a very
simple message. Something like:
(1) So you want to change YYYYY, XXXXXX is used by YYYYY
(2) So you want to change YYYYY, XXXXXX uses YYYYYY.

You would have to maintain 2 make files. One for upstream and downstream
impact evaluation

Quote:

> J.

1. managing cross-project dependencies

Folks:

We've been developing Java Corba applications for
sometime, and are struggling with configuration
management issues.  We use clearcase for version
control.

The problem is the dependencies between different
versions of different jars.  For example, suppose
FooClient v1.1 talks to both BarServer v2.3 and
SnafuServer v3.5.  All of the above depend upon
common.jar v4.6.  So, if you find a bug in SnafuServer
that requires you to upgrade to common.jar v4.7, then
you have the problem of rolling dependencies....

It's relatively straightforward with just a couple
clients and servers.  But once you get over 10 servers,
being developed by different teams with different
time-lines, things start to get out of hand.

What technologies/techniques/methodologies are you
using to solve these types of problems?

Thanks,

Jared

2. Open existg files in FP Web view

3. library dependency problem report

4. which products can transfer links to the PDF

5. Help Reqd :: Resolving Circular Dependency

6. ?? Seems C++ on HPUX doesn't allow inlining of void functions

7. change management dependency tracking

8. Telemobile auto-reply

9. Dependency Analysis

10. Determining object dependencies

11. Printing dependency with jam?

12. versioned dependencies

13. imake/gmake: style of dependency generation