PA admits potential problems!

Post by Ralph Daughert » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I've been lurking here awhile & taking things in...  I'm somewhat of a
> moderate doomer in that I agree that the 3 day prep/winter storm thing is
> bunk.

> Anyway, I just received a flyer today from the state (PA) called the
> consumers guide to y2k planning - unsolicited.

> It actually is more in line with my opinions that what I've been seeing
> on the national media - refreshing to see the truth for a change.  Here
> are some of the recommendations:

> * Two week supply of food
> * 1 gal of water /person/day (I prefer 3)
> * Alternative heat source
> * Two weeks of medicine
> * Cash for 3 weeks expenses (withdrawn before Dec1 gradually)
> * Don't use auto bill pay (oct-Mar)
> * Send important bills registed/return receipt
> * Hard copies of all important records

> There was some bunk like only half a tank of gas, etc. - but overall it
> was pretty well done & informative.

> From the Governor's office...  I wonder if he'll be labeled a
> right-wing/*-theorist/survivalist/milita gun toting/fear-mongeror?

> Later!

   This is excellent.  I like the idea of States taking the lead on this
rather than yet one more Federal drill.  I wonder if it can be picked up as
the hard news that reporters seek and seen nationally during the next month.
And acted upon.  This is an important development from PA.  They have to be
commended.

 Ralph

PA admits potential problems!

Post by Y2KBe » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Kinda misleading subject line, don't ya think?

PA didn't admit anything as far as I can tell
from your post.

Some things are pretty reasonable
(food/water/medicine/hard copies)
that probably most people normally
do or should do.

An alternative heat source?  For how
long?  Seems that a couple of blankets
qualify.  Or, are you laying in an extra
heater?  Not a realistic option for most
city dwellers.

There's a lot of senior citizens in PA.
It's not a good idea for them to carry
around extra cash.  That item is really
stupid, but not as dumb as to not use
auto-bill pay.

Y2Kbert
"Sheeple come in more than one flavor."

Post by Alex Fergus » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Kinda misleading subject line, don't ya think?
> PA didn't admit anything as far as I can tell
> from your post.

Direct quote from the brochure:
"Despite intensive efforts to make business operations y2k ready, no one
knows exactly what will happen on Jan 1, 2000.  The best alternative in
light of this uncertainty is to prepare for what might happen."

Quote:> Some things are pretty reasonable
> (food/water/medicine/hard copies)
> that probably most people normally
> do or should do.
> An alternative heat source?  For how
> long?  Seems that a couple of blankets
> qualify.  Or, are you laying in an extra
> heater?  Not a realistic option for most
> city dwellers.

They suggest that you consider "How can you stay warm if your primary
system fails?"  For some, that means a generator, for others I'm sure it
does mean to get a few extra blankets.

Quote:> There's a lot of senior citizens in PA.
> It's not a good idea for them to carry
> around extra cash.  That item is really
> stupid, but not as dumb as to not use
> auto-bill pay.

According to the Governor, it's a good idea for them to have extra cash.
I'm sure he doesn't intend for them to carry it around in a money bag,
but maybe have some put away in the corner of a closet?  Is it better to
take the risk of someone stealing it, or to take the risk of not being
able to get any for whatever reason (ie, lack of transportation, bank
machine failures, etc.)

As far as the auto-bill pay, I'm sure he's just scare-mongering... oh,
wait!  He's the gubbmnt!

Quote:> Y2Kbert
> "Sheeple come in more than one flavor."

You won't get rich, but you can make a few bucks while surfing the web...
http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=FDV130

PA admits potential problems!

Post by Dave Koste » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

How does a criminal identify a Pennsylvania senior citizen carrying extra
cash?

dk

Quote:> Kinda misleading subject line, don't ya think?

Post by Pat Meadow » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Hi all,

>I've been lurking here awhile & taking things in...  I'm somewhat of a
>moderate doomer in that I agree that the 3 day prep/winter storm thing is
>bunk.

>Anyway, I just received a flyer today from the state (PA) called the
>consumers guide to y2k planning - unsolicited.

>It actually is more in line with my opinions that what I've been seeing
>on the national media - refreshing to see the truth for a change.  Here
>are some of the recommendations:

>* Two week supply of food
>* 1 gal of water /person/day (I prefer 3)
>* Alternative heat source
>* Two weeks of medicine
>* Cash for 3 weeks expenses (withdrawn before Dec1 gradually)
>* Don't use auto bill pay (oct-Mar)
>* Send important bills registed/return receipt
>* Hard copies of all important records

>There was some bunk like only half a tank of gas, etc. - but overall it
>was pretty well done & informative.

>From the Governor's office...  I wonder if he'll be labeled a
>right-wing/*-theorist/survivalist/milita gun toting/fear-mongeror?

>Later!

   I found this on-line, it's in PDF format. If anyone wants
to see it, it's located at :

    http://www.veryComputer.com/

Pat

Post by frank bertran » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:29:00

> Hi all,

> I've been lurking here awhile & taking things in...  I'm somewhat of a
> moderate doomer in that I agree that the 3 day prep/winter storm thing is
> bunk.

> Anyway, I just received a flyer today from the state (PA) called the
> consumers guide to y2k planning - unsolicited.

> It actually is more in line with my opinions that what I've been seeing
> on the national media - refreshing to see the truth for a change.  Here
> are some of the recommendations:

> * Two week supply of food
> * 1 gal of water /person/day (I prefer 3)
> * Alternative heat source
> * Two weeks of medicine
> * Cash for 3 weeks expenses (withdrawn before Dec1 gradually)
> * Don't use auto bill pay (oct-Mar)
> * Send important bills registed/return receipt
> * Hard copies of all important records

> There was some bunk like only half a tank of gas, etc. - but overall it
> was pretty well done & informative.

> From the Governor's office...  I wonder if he'll be labeled a
> right-wing/*-theorist/survivalist/milita gun toting/fear-mongeror?

> Later!

> --
> You won't get rich, but you can make a few bucks while surfing the web...
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Dispatch from upstate PA:

At the local Emer Mgt Coordinators' Meeting Notes for October:  "..if
generators are needed by local gov'ts, we can requisition them from
state HQ just like they did in the ice storm of 98. There's no sense to
stockpile them now..."

no response to the point that what if there's a ice storm EVERYWHERE.

I'm getting 2  more drums  of diesel tomorrow. (Winterized)
along with another 100 lbs of rice and beans for the local emer mgt
team.

f. bertrand

1. PepsiCo admits "potential risk"

At least one major multi-national manufacturer is openly admitting to
potential failures directly related to Y2K. Actually, the entire Y2K
segment is interesting, according to these excepts...

"PepsiCo's most likely potential risk is a temporary inability,
particularly the inability of bottling franchisees, to manufacture or
bottle some products in certain locations, and the inability of some
customers to order and pay on a timely basis."
"Remediation and testing activities are well underway with approximately
40% of the systems already compliant. This percentage is expected to
increase to approximately 75% by year-end, to approximately 90% and 98%
by the end of the first and second quarters of 1999, respectively, and
be fully compliant by the fourth quarter of 1999."
"Contingency plans for Year 2000-related interruptions are being
developed and will include, but not be limited to, the development of
emergency backup and recovery procedures, remediation of existing
systems parallel with installation of new systems, replacing electronic
applications with manual processes, identification of alternate
suppliers and increasing raw material and finished goods inventory
levels."

http://sec.yahoo.com/e/l/p/pep.html

Cheers
Robert Egan
--
To reply by email: remove nospam_allowed.

2. Need command-line mailer

3. Pa, pa, pau, pau,paul, M,m,m,mi,milne

4. My blank desktop is back....!

5. POTENTIAL EURO PROBLEMS IN JANUARY, 1999.

6. Wan Miniport (Network Monitor) error

7. Upcoming Dates for Potential Problems

8. AutoCAD to COSMOS/M translator

9. Y2K Timing - Potential Problems Between Jews and Christians

10. Bank admits computer problems

11. Labor Dept. Admits Problems

12. UK Ministry of Defence Admits Problem

13. AMCOM PAS leap day problem