ADL Report (Naming Names)

Post by Bob Broc » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Partial quote:
------------------

NEW YORK, Nov. 1 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The Anti-Defamation League
(ADL) has made available to participants of the International
Association of Chiefs of Police meeting in C*te, N.C., its
report on the potential for * reactions in response to
the year 2000. Participants have also received a report on the
millennium threat, dubbed "Project Megiddo," from the FBI.

The ADL report, "Y2K Paranoia: Extremists Confront the
Millennium," examines the varied reactions and expectations of
elements on the fringes of society and warns of the potential for
*. The report focuses on anti-government militia and "Patriot"
groups with theories of a government *, certain religious
fundamentalists and cults predicting an apocalypse with Jews playing
a conspiratorial or Satanic role, and far-right extremists seeking to
blame the so-called Y2K bug on Jews and the federal government. Many
of the groups are disseminating hate-filled propaganda on the
Internet.

"Millennial cults, extremist groups and racial ideologues this
year are bringing their assorted baggage to the Y2K happening," said
Abraham H. Foxman, ADL national director. "The heightened
expectations of the year 2000, mixed together with the widely
reported possibility of computer meltdown, have generated a barrage
of predictions and hysterical propaganda from those on the farthest
fringes of society. While not all of these groups call for explicit
action, many of their followers are hoping, expecting or preparing
for the worst. We can only hope that these people will not act
rashly or *ly on their fears and expectations."

ADL Report (Naming Names)

Post by Alwyn Aubre » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Its more like calling names, isn't it Bob? The Anti-Defamation League
seems extremely eager to defame a bunch of other people it doesn't like.
Given the audience they have picked, their action is very much more
threatening to our constitutional liberties than that of the groups they
are attacking.

The last time I looked, the function of the 1st Amendment was to protect
unpopular speech, yet ADL seems interested in using the police to attack
its enemies... Very weird.

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> Partial quote:
> ------------------

> NEW YORK, Nov. 1 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The Anti-Defamation League
> (ADL) has made available to participants of the International
> Association of Chiefs of Police meeting in C*te, N.C., its
> report on the potential for * reactions in response to
> the year 2000. Participants have also received a report on the
> millennium threat, dubbed "Project Megiddo," from the FBI.

> The ADL report, "Y2K Paranoia: Extremists Confront the
> Millennium," examines the varied reactions and expectations of
> elements on the fringes of society and warns of the potential for
> *. The report focuses on anti-government militia and "Patriot"
> groups with theories of a government *, certain religious
> fundamentalists and cults predicting an apocalypse with Jews playing
> a conspiratorial or Satanic role, and far-right extremists seeking to
> blame the so-called Y2K bug on Jews and the federal government. Many
> of the groups are disseminating hate-filled propaganda on the
> Internet.

> "Millennial cults, extremist groups and racial ideologues this
> year are bringing their assorted baggage to the Y2K happening," said
> Abraham H. Foxman, ADL national director. "The heightened
> expectations of the year 2000, mixed together with the widely
> reported possibility of computer meltdown, have generated a barrage
> of predictions and hysterical propaganda from those on the farthest
> fringes of society. While not all of these groups call for explicit
> action, many of their followers are hoping, expecting or preparing
> for the worst. We can only hope that these people will not act
> rashly or *ly on their fears and expectations."

what is wrong with this sentence...

Quote:> While not all of these groups call for explicit
> action, many of their followers are hoping, expecting or preparing
> for the worst. We can only hope that these people will not act
> rashly or *ly on their fears and expectations."

It is remarkable how the world is turned upside down ... preparation =
terrorism?

ADL Report (Naming Names)

Post by Irving » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

   I fail to see the connection with religion and Y2K. Before anyone
jumps on my case, let me say that I understand about a few hard cases
out there who might pose a problem...for any one of us or the
communities in which we reside. But I honestly believe the actual number
in their ranks to be miniscule, in the truest sense of that term.

   For what it is worth, the Y2K/Religion connect that sends chills
down my back are the people who feel they need not do anything to
prepare for Y2K, even in the most sane and practical terms. Why? Because
they plan to be "Raptured away" in the event of problems. I certainly
respect another man's religion and NO OFFENSE is intended or implied,
BUT...this kind of thinking strikes me as deeply irrational and
certainly irresponsible. After all, the last time I checked, Y2K was
all about technology and not theology.

Regards,

Irving

ADL Report (Naming Names)

Post by D. Scott Secor - Millennial Infarction Mitigato » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>    I fail to see the connection with religion and Y2K. Before anyone
> jumps on my case, let me say that I understand about a few hard cases
> out there who might pose a problem...for any one of us or the
> communities in which we reside. But I honestly believe the actual number
> in their ranks to be miniscule, in the truest sense of that term.

>    For what it is worth, the Y2K/Religion connect that sends chills
> down my back are the people who feel they need not do anything to
> prepare for Y2K, even in the most sane and practical terms. Why? Because
> they plan to be "Raptured away" in the event of problems. I certainly
> respect another man's religion and NO OFFENSE is intended or implied,
> BUT...this kind of thinking strikes me as deeply irrational and
> certainly irresponsible. After all, the last time I checked, Y2K was
> all about technology and not theology.

I'm with you on this one.  I also fail to see the connection, other than
that assigned by Pollyanna nutcases and other ignorami who wish only to
elevate the *pressure of those who elect to prepare.

Religion is a very personal thing.  I often jump on religious zealots,
sometimes asking them take their Bible verses to a place where they might be
better appreciated.  Likewise, I am just as prone to grouse at Atheist
zealots -- an entirely different form of religion, best practiced in private
(kinda like *).  ;-)

But as for the ADL, they are forever looking for a fight.  At least that is
the impression that I have of the organization.

Ciao,

--
D. Scott Secor, Year 2000 Institute Site Index -- http://www.veryComputer.com/
How shallow is your gene pool?  Pollyannas are hereby encouraged

ADL Report (Naming Names)

Post by Bob Broc » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Most of those groups have been in trouble with the law, not because of what
they say, but because of either killing, inciting to kill, or conspiring to
kill people over their beliefs.  The framers of the constitution never
intended that it protect such acts.  If that were so, it would be
unconstitutional to prosecute international terrorist if their cause is a
religious one.

If these groups decide to enter into a * to break the law, they
should be prosecuted, convicted, and punished.

>Its more like calling names, isn't it Bob? The Anti-Defamation League
>seems extremely eager to defame a bunch of other people it doesn't like.
>Given the audience they have picked, their action is very much more
>threatening to our constitutional liberties than that of the groups they
>are attacking.

>The last time I looked, the function of the 1st Amendment was to protect
>unpopular speech, yet ADL seems interested in using the police to attack
>its enemies... Very weird.

>> http://www.veryComputer.com/

>> Partial quote:
>> ------------------

>> NEW YORK, Nov. 1 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The Anti-Defamation League
>> (ADL) has made available to participants of the International
>> Association of Chiefs of Police meeting in C*te, N.C., its
>> report on the potential for * reactions in response to
>> the year 2000. Participants have also received a report on the
>> millennium threat, dubbed "Project Megiddo," from the FBI.

>> The ADL report, "Y2K Paranoia: Extremists Confront the
>> Millennium," examines the varied reactions and expectations of
>> elements on the fringes of society and warns of the potential for
>> *. The report focuses on anti-government militia and "Patriot"
>> groups with theories of a government *, certain religious
>> fundamentalists and cults predicting an apocalypse with Jews playing
>> a conspiratorial or Satanic role, and far-right extremists seeking to
>> blame the so-called Y2K bug on Jews and the federal government. Many
>> of the groups are disseminating hate-filled propaganda on the
>> Internet.

>> "Millennial cults, extremist groups and racial ideologues this
>> year are bringing their assorted baggage to the Y2K happening," said
>> Abraham H. Foxman, ADL national director. "The heightened
>> expectations of the year 2000, mixed together with the widely
>> reported possibility of computer meltdown, have generated a barrage
>> of predictions and hysterical propaganda from those on the farthest
>> fringes of society. While not all of these groups call for explicit
>> action, many of their followers are hoping, expecting or preparing
>> for the worst. We can only hope that these people will not act
>> rashly or *ly on their fears and expectations."

>what is wrong with this sentence...

>> While not all of these groups call for explicit
>> action, many of their followers are hoping, expecting or preparing
>> for the worst. We can only hope that these people will not act
>> rashly or *ly on their fears and expectations."

>It is remarkable how the world is turned upside down ... preparation =
>terrorism?

ADL Report (Naming Names)

Post by Bob Broc » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>|    I fail to see the connection with religion and Y2K.

>Scary Gary is a good example.

ROTFLMAO....

ADL Report (Naming Names)

Post by Dave Koste » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> >    I fail to see the connection with religion and Y2K. Before anyone
> > jumps on my case, let me say that I understand about a few hard cases
> > out there who might pose a problem...for any one of us or the
> > communities in which we reside. But I honestly believe the actual
number
> > in their ranks to be miniscule, in the truest sense of that term.

> >    For what it is worth, the Y2K/Religion connect that sends chills
> > down my back are the people who feel they need not do anything to
> > prepare for Y2K, even in the most sane and practical terms. Why?
Because
> > they plan to be "Raptured away" in the event of problems. I certainly
> > respect another man's religion and NO OFFENSE is intended or implied,
> > BUT...this kind of thinking strikes me as deeply irrational and
> > certainly irresponsible. After all, the last time I checked, Y2K was
> > all about technology and not theology.

> I'm with you on this one.  I also fail to see the connection, other than
> that assigned by Pollyanna nutcases and other ignorami who wish only to
> elevate the *pressure of those who elect to prepare.

> Religion is a very personal thing.

President Elect Ventura knows religion is for the weak-minded.

dk

Quote:> I often jump on religious zealots

* gets you nowhere.
* & Battery will get ya 5 to 10 in the pen.

Quote:> sometimes asking them take their Bible verses to a place where they might
be
> better appreciated.  Likewise, I am just as prone to grouse at Atheist
> zealots -- an entirely different form of religion, best practiced in
private
> (kinda like *).  ;-)

> But as for the ADL, they are forever looking for a fight.  At least that
is
> the impression that I have of the organization.

> Ciao,

> --
> D. Scott Secor, Year 2000 Institute Site Index -- http://www.veryComputer.com/
> How shallow is your gene pool?  Pollyannas are hereby encouraged
> to amass a 30-day supply of frozen foods & freeze-dried drink mixes.
> Dehydrated water & electric generators w/extension cord now on sale!

ADL Report (Naming Names)

Post by Frank Ne » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

On Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:39:55 GMT, an orbiting mind control laser caused

>|    I fail to see the connection with religion and Y2K.

>Scary Gary is a good example.

Scary Jerry (if you remember that particular Teletubbies political cartoon)
is an even better example.

Frank Ney  N4ZHG  WV/EMT-B  LPWV  NRA(L) ProvNRA GOA CCRKBA JPFO
--
"It's tough to not see Orwell when people keep using 1984 as a study guide."

Just Say No to Gestapo Tactics http://www.freespeech.org/justsayno
Abuses by the BATF  http://www.hamnet.net/~n4zhg/batfabus.html
L. Neil Smith for President!  http://www.lns2000.org

1. Naming the same resource with different names

Would anybody know of an authoritative citation from the HCI
literature to show why the following scenario is not useful for the
user?  Please let me know, your help is greatly appreciated!

SCENARIO:

There are four computers co-located at a shared, public desk.  Each
displays a web browser without the location/address bar.  Each
displays as it's homepage the same URL (an a web-based interface to a
catalog system).

Two of the computers are labeled "Express" for catalog use, and two
are labeled "Catalog and Database Use".

However, all four computers are on the same homepage (with the same
link to databases).  A user moving from the "Express" to the "Catalog
and Database Use" machine sees exactly the same interface and gets the
exact same functionality

It seems to me this is giving the same resource multiple names, which
I believe is a human factors no-no.  However, it's not quite the same
as having two differently-named links on one page going to the same
destination, because it deals with physical objects.

Can anyone back me up?  I appreciate any help you can provide.

Karim Khan

THE TEXT OF THIS MESSAGE REPRESENTS ONLY THE VIEWS OF THE AUTHOR DOES
NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF ANY INSTITUTION

2. 'bell' substring

3. Naming service resolve crashed both application and naming service on Redhat 8.0

4. Samsung I300 user group on Yahoo

5. Correct usage of the words Login/Log in/Logon and User name/Username/User Name

6. "Data Communications and Networking Dictionary", Pardoe/Wenig

7. querying name bindings registered in the Tao Name Service

8. ReQ: sportster 33.6 data fax upgrade to 56k

9. Naming Service: Binding compound names using a DLL_ORB

10. file names

11. Change Image Map Name with Java Script

12. How find someone by name and city?