Continuus/CM and Alsys Ada(83)

Post by Marco Gibellini - GB » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

We are using Continuus/CM and the Aslys Ada(83) compiler.

We would like to share experiences (problems) of the integration
between the two tools (I hope that someone else is using
them as well).

Any hints and tips appreciated.
--
Marco Gibellini (SEU)                  | Eurocontrol Experimental Centre
Phone: +33.1-69.88.75.68               | B.P. 15

Continuus/CM and Alsys Ada(83)

Post by Gary Palme » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> We are using Continuus/CM and the Aslys Ada(83) compiler.

> We would like to share experiences (problems) of the integration
> between the two tools (I hope that someone else is using
> them as well).

> Any hints and tips appreciated.

I was under the impression that the integration was no longer available.
A search of the www.continuus.com web site for alsys showed 1 hit on the
Dutch page.  When I checked for the English equiv, I had their home
page.

Your question may be better stated as "Is anyone using this?"

When I used the two products, the integration had strongly defined
boundaries of what it would and would not do.  For what it did, it
worked.  For the completeness of what it did, that left a little to be
desired.  I think the original design emanated from a customers
requirements.

Cheers,
Gary

Continuus/CM and Alsys Ada(83)

Post by Michael F Brenn » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I am very interested in both of these tools, but what do you mean by
integrating them together? Do you mean using CCM to manage the
configuration of your source code and documentation, to be
compiled by Alsys?

Quote:> re using Continuus/CM and the Aslys Ada(83) compiler.

Post by Marco Gibellini - GB » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I was under the impression that the integration was no longer available.
> A search of the www.continuus.com web site for alsys showed 1 hit on the
> Dutch page.  When I checked for the English equiv, I had their home
> page.

You are right.
We have no 'official' integration from Continuus.
We are just trying to use both tools together and would like to know
what solutions people have come up with for controlling and building the
Ada libraries under Continuus..

Quote:> Your question may be better stated as "Is anyone using this?"

Yes, is anyone actually using Continuus and Alsys?

Cheers, Marco
--

Post by Marco Gibellini - GB » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I am very interested in both of these tools, but what do you mean by
> integrating them together? Do you mean using CCM to manage the
> configuration of your source code and documentation, to be
> compiled by Alsys?

Yes. This is exactly what we want, but our setup only allow us to
do this with the help of some (relativly) complex makefiles and
shell scripts rather than using the Continuus/OM tool.

One of the projects we have is relativly large (2000+ compilation
units), so the Ada library is huge and a complete library compilation
(using Alsys AdaMake) takes in the order of 2 hours. There are usually
several versions of each project under concurrent development so to
hold a full Ada compilation libray for each sqa, integration and
working version of the project is unfeasable. Although we are trying to
restructure, we currently have to work with this monolithic project
structure.

We do not want to control the Ada libraries as they can be regenerated
from the source, and change freequently as developers modify and test
code.

The question is, how do other users manage the relationship between
each Continuus project version and the Alsys Ada library corresponding
to that version?

Our current strategy is to hold a 'full' library for each complete
sqa and integration library, and use these as 'parent' libraries
(Alsys terminology) for each working project version. Our makefiles
and scripts then try to manage the relationships between the Alsys
Ada libraries and Continuus project versions.

Although this messes up developer's libraries sometimes (e.g. when the
subunits of an Ada package change), it works most of the time. We also
have problems with changing configurations e.g. using an old version of
somthing in a developer's view, which the compiler does not recompile
as it 'sees' a newer version in the integration library.

Does anyone else manage large Ada projects using Continuus, and if so,
how? I get the impression that Continuus is not really targetted to
controlling objects with Ada like dependencies between them.
Continuus/OM does however seem to have specific support for 'C'
source and include files.

--
Marco Gibellini (SEU)                  | Eurocontrol Experimental Centre
Phone: +33.1-69.88.75.68               | B.P. 15
Fax:   +33.1-69.88.72.27               | F-91222 Bretigny sur Orge CDX

Continuus/CM and Alsys Ada(83)

Post by Greg Dickie X29 » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Actually we are using Continuus/CM with the TELESOFT RISCAda compiler, we did
our own integration & it works quite well, next step is ObjectADA and
Continuus. BTW: Support from Thomson (ALSYS) and Continuus has been great.

: >
: > I was under the impression that the integration was no longer available.
: > A search of the www.continuus.com web site for alsys showed 1 hit on the
: > Dutch page.  When I checked for the English equiv, I had their home
: > page.

: You are right.
: We have no 'official' integration from Continuus.
: We are just trying to use both tools together and would like to know
: what solutions people have come up with for controlling and building the
: Ada libraries under Continuus..

: > Your question may be better stated as "Is anyone using this?"

: Yes, is anyone actually using Continuus and Alsys?

: Cheers, Marco
: --
: Marco Gibellini (SEU)                  | Eurocontrol Experimental Centre
: Phone: +33.1-69.88.75.68               | B.P. 15
: Fax:   +33.1-69.88.72.27               | F-91222 Bretigny sur Orge CDX

                                                Greg*ie
                                                Just a Guy
                                                CAE Electronics Ltd.
                                                Montreal, Canada
                                                (514) 341-6780 X2955

1. Alsys DOS Ada host to Metacomp ATCOMM4 board

I have been trying to use the Alsys DOS to 80x86 cross developement system
to compile code for a metacomp ATCOMM4 board (from a IBM AT DOS host).  I
have been having major problems (the worst since I have been programming).
Basically, I am wondering if anyone else has done this.  I have tried the
Alsys support, but they have not been much help (I think it is not their
products fault, but the way we have it configured).  If anyone has done
this and is willing to discuss what steps they did I would appreciate
hearing from you.

                              Thanks
                                   Dan "Hoysch" Heuschele
                                   (619) 553-4195 work
                                   (619) 421-4218 home
                                   or Email to above address (preferred)

2. Time Sync

3. Alsys Ada: DOS AT host to Metacomp ATCOMM4

4. HOTTY REQ :Application Security Analyst / Washington DC,

5. Experiences with Continuus/CM - Continuus/PT

6. Questions on taking the first .Net exam

7. Opinions on Continuus/CM CM tool

8. Help - ftp site

9. Continuus/CM CaseWare/CM req for recomendation

10. Pentium 83-mhz OverDrive!

11. Pentium 83-Mhz OverDrive Chip

12. Pentium overdriv 83 processor upgrade for Compaq Presario 486dx2/50