Help - Proper install of WIN on a docked laptop

Help - Proper install of WIN on a docked laptop

Post by Dappy Koga » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

HELP!

What is the best way to install (configure) WIN 3.1 for use on a NEC
VERSA which will sometimes be mobile and at other times will be in a
NEC Docking Station???????

The VERSA laptop has 12 meg. ram and 540 meg. IDE hard drive.

The Docking station has a SCSI controller, 1.6 gig SCSI hard drive, NEC
CD-ROM  SCSI drive and a Syquest EZ135 SCSI drive. All this hardware is
installed and is working without any noticeable problems.

The IDE drive is C: whether mobile or docked. When docked the SCSI
drive is D:.

Because the laptop's hard drive is limited, not all applications will
be installed on the c: drive. The laptop c: drive will have the
applications installed in their minimum disk configuration.  When
docked the user needs
  to have access to the full installation of the application as well as
other application which are not on the laptop drive c:.   What do I
have  to do to make sure that application files and windows files which
must rema
in current (ie like a contact manager like ECCO) don't get messed up?

The questions are:

Do I have to install windows twice, once on the c: drive and once on
the d: drive?
Is there a better way to install windows 3.1 only once?

I look forward to hearing from persons who have already dealt with this
as an issue.

Thanks.

D. Kogan

Post by Kevin J. Lan » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> HELP!

> What is the best way to install (configure) WIN 3.1 for use on a NEC
> VERSA which will sometimes be mobile and at other times will be in a
> NEC Docking Station???????

[ ... Rest of message snipped ... ]

> Thanks.

> D. Kogan

Dappy,

   While I'm sure that someone in this group could help you, you're more
likely to get a quick response (and more responses) if you post to groups
that more directly discuss this subject.  You might try posting to each
of the following:  comp.os.ms-windows.setup and comp.sys.laptops.

   This group primarily discusses tools that help manage software projects
by managing the release processes, among others.  There's plenty of smart
people here, but most have other things on their minds than OS stuff.

   Hope this helps.  Good luck in setting up the laptop.

           Kevin