Relationship Analysis Support?

Post by The Paul » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 09:24:35

Hi all,

OO Analysis and design involves (among other things) discovering and
representing objects/classes and their inter-relationships. There are some
guidelines (identify nouns, etc.) and tools (Use Cases) to help with the
identification of objects. However, how does one go about discovering the
relationships between objects/classes to be modeled in Class Diagrams?
There do not seem to be any defined processes (for example, in RUP) or tools
(for example, in UML) to explicitly and systematically assist in eliciting
relationships or to document them in Class Diagrams.
Is anyone aware of any analysis tools/processes to assist the analyst in
figuring out what relationships exist? If so, what are they? If not, any
ideas on why they don't exist? Wouldn't the existence of such tools/process
greatly enhance the analyst's effectiveness?

Thanks for any insight or pointers!
RP

Relationship Analysis Support?

Post by Wolfgang Forman » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:49:15

Hi Pauls!

> Hi all,

> OO Analysis and design involves (among other things) discovering and
> representing objects/classes and their inter-relationships. There are some
> guidelines (identify nouns, etc.) and tools (Use Cases) to help with the
> identification of objects. However, how does one go about discovering the
> relationships between objects/classes to be modeled in Class Diagrams?
> There do not seem to be any defined processes (for example, in RUP) or tools
> (for example, in UML) to explicitly and systematically assist in eliciting
> relationships or to document them in Class Diagrams.

UML at least defines a notation to express such relationships, both between
objects and classes and between one object and another.

I cannot answer about processes defining the use of such links, but
I can tell you for sure that in 'real' case tools, you can draw such
links, if interested in tools supporting this feature, feel free to
ask.

Wolfgang

Relationship Analysis Support?

Post by Janos Koppan » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 03:05:46

Hi Paul,

please check out http://codebeamer.intland.com

it shows you code dependency (package, class, method) and cross-refrenceing
inter-relationships.

janos

--
Janos Koppany
Intland GmbH www.intland.com

Relationship Analysis Support?

Post by Dick Bottin » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 03:20:01

There have been many processes for discovering relationships
between objects.

You can use intuition while talking with people
who understand the problem domain:  look for statements
about two or more objects at the same time.  Some of these
are relationships and some have responsibilities that make
them candidate objects.

You can normalize existing or planned data.  This is a well know data
base design technique that generates lots of simple objects.
The tables that come out of normalization are either objects
or relations between objects.

You can work out how various scenarios will be implemented
using your objects.  Collaborations give you links between
classes of objects.   Some will argue that you can stop
right there ... others recommend looking at multiplicities.
The many-to-many links are relationships.  These may in
turn be modelled/implemented as classes of objects.

There are probably more techniques...

dick at csci csusb edu

> Hi Pauls!

> > Hi all,

> > OO Analysis and design involves (among other things) discovering and
> > representing objects/classes and their inter-relationships. There are some
> > guidelines (identify nouns, etc.) and tools (Use Cases) to help with the
> > identification of objects. However, how does one go about discovering the
> > relationships between objects/classes to be modeled in Class Diagrams?
> > There do not seem to be any defined processes (for example, in RUP) or tools
> > (for example, in UML) to explicitly and systematically assist in eliciting
> > relationships or to document them in Class Diagrams.

> UML at least defines a notation to express such relationships, both between
> objects and classes and between one object and another.

> I cannot answer about processes defining the use of such links, but
> I can tell you for sure that in 'real' case tools, you can draw such
> links, if interested in tools supporting this feature, feel free to
> ask.

> Wolfgang

1. Data Analysis and Project Support

CAREER OPPORTUNITY

Data Analysis and Project Support

Humansystems Incorporated is a small consulting firm providing human
factors technical support for a range of military, government and
industrial clients in Canada.  We specialize in ensuring that products and
systems are both useful and easy to use.  We have eight professional
consultants and several Associates who advise on a project by project
basis.  A small administrative staff coordinates proposals and billing, and
provides clerical support.

We need to fill one Data Analysis and Project Support Position.  You will
support workstation design, equipment and system design, field trials, user
requirements and usability testing.  Under the supervision of technical
consultants, you will carry out the following types of taskings:
Data entry and analysis;
Assist in putting together reports and materials for projects;
Prepare and organize materials and equipment for field and laboratory
trials;
Project administrative activities for the team; and,
Carry out tasks, as required, on field trials and data collection site
visits.

Humansystems is located in Guelph, Ontario.  You will be required to travel
in carrying out project work.

Qualifications Sought
Education will include college diploma or university degree.  Experience in
supporting human factors projects would be an asset.
Good communication skills are essential.
Experience required in using programs such as Excel, Word, WordPerfect, and
PowerPoint.  Experienced desired in using programs such as Microsoft
Project, FrontPage, EndNote, Micrografx Suite 2, Statistica, CAD programs
and Access.

Compensation
Humansystems offers a competitive salary structure.  A comprehensive health
benefits and life insurance package is provided.

Application
Please send applications to:  Kim Iwasa-Madge, P. Eng., CHFP
                        Humansystems Incorporated
                        111 Farquhar St., Second Floor, Guelph, ON, N1H 3N4
                        (519) 836-5911 (telephone)
                        (519) 836-1722 (fax)

2. Networked PM messaging

3. Announce: Frag Analysis and Cost Analysis Utilities available

4. pilot desktop for linux

5. Free Beam Analysis and Beam System Analysis application software online

6. D3Dbench (March Game Developer) ?

7. visionsoft development tools - performance analysis, optimization, runtime error checking, coverage analysis in a single pass

8. performance won't be c++'s saving grace in the future...

9. Free Beam Analysis and Beam System Analysis application software online

10. OO analysis vs. Function analysis

11. Announcement: Remote Per Event Support from Digital Customer Support Center

12. Call Center Sales and Support @00K+ support 90K+20K

13. Announcement: Remote Per Event Support from Digital Customer Support Center