comments from a long-time lurker

Post by Rem87011 » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

All of you are having one helluva good time giving Milne the business for being
so wrong about Y2K.   Pollyanaism was a safe stance all along because if the
doomer crowd had been correct, this ng would have been unavailable,
perhaps permanently.  Now all types of losers are coming out out the woodwork
goof on the people who actually prepared for something.  Hats off, though, to
the
pollies that were adamant from the get-go...they were right and we (I was a
moderate doomer) were wrong.

I started lurking here in 1997 when I took a Y2K contract with a Fortune 500
company.  It soon became evident that nothing of substance was being
discussed here, despite the name of comp.SOFTWARE.year-2000.  Any
thread of relevance to software soon petered out or was ignored completely,
while threads of insufferable drivel went on and on.

A personal "favorite" of mine was DD's hounding of Milne about something to do
with Aesop's fables.  Does anyone remember that one?

Milne and his disciples were the only reason I kept reading csy2k.  They may
have been wrong, but they were entertaining.  I laughed out loud many times,
especially at Milne's comments about foreign countries.

I'll continue to lurk here, but I suspect the Golden Age of csy2k is passe.

Regards,
Bill

Post by Dave Koste » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> >Milne and his disciples were the only reason I kept reading csy2k.

> [shudder]

You just saw the DOW?

dk

Quote:

> --
> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> "So, of course I want to see y2k bring down the system, all over
> the world. I have hoped for this all of my * life." - Gary North

comments from a long-time lurker

Post by D. Scott Secor - Millennial Infarction Mitigato » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> [snippage]

> > A personal "favorite" of mine was DD's hounding of Milne about something
to do
> > with Aesop's fables.  Does anyone remember that one?

> I might... but even more telling was Mr Milne's unsupported and
> egregiously bad translation of 'ergazomai'.

Might that be ersatz omai then?

Ciao,

--
D. Scott Secor, Year 2000 Institute Site Index -- http://y2k.board.org/
Compliance databases & searches -- http://y2k.board.org/search.html

comments from a long-time lurker

Post by The Goober » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

[snippage]

Quote:> A personal "favorite" of mine was DD's hounding of Milne about something to do
> with Aesop's fables.  Does anyone remember that one?

I might... but even more telling was Mr Milne's unsupported and
egregiously bad translation of 'ergazomai'.

DD

comments from a long-time lurker

Post by schreu.. » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> All of you are having one helluva good time giving Milne the business
for being
> so wrong about Y2K.   Pollyanaism was a safe stance all along because
if the
> doomer crowd had been correct, this ng would have been unavailable,
> perhaps permanently.  Now all types of losers are coming out out the
woodwork
> goof on the people who actually prepared for something.  Hats off,
though, to
> the
> pollies that were adamant from the get-go...they were right and we (I
was a
> moderate doomer) were wrong.

> I started lurking here in 1997 when I took a Y2K contract with a
Fortune 500
> company.  It soon became evident that nothing of substance was being
> discussed here, despite the name of comp.SOFTWARE.year-2000.  Any
> thread of relevance to software soon petered out or was ignored
completely,
> while threads of insufferable drivel went on and on.

> A personal "favorite" of mine was DD's hounding of Milne about
something to do
> with Aesop's fables.  Does anyone remember that one?

> Milne and his disciples were the only reason I kept reading csy2k.
They may
> have been wrong, but they were entertaining.  I laughed out loud many
times,
> especially at Milne's comments about foreign countries.

> I'll continue to lurk here, but I suspect the Golden Age of csy2k is
passe.

> Regards,
> Bill

As a long-time lurker and non-native speaker of English I was (and still
am) amused by  expressions as:
won't be long now
no skin off my nose
(X) circling the drain
and the majestic concept of: 'drinking dog*out of rusty hub caps'
(It made me look for (rusty) hub caps in the city I live in, but alas,
none; and is it true that IF available dogs do prefer them to, say,
trees?)

Regards,
Robert Schreuder

Before you buy.

comments from a long-time lurker

Post by The Goober » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > [snippage]

> > > A personal "favorite" of mine was DD's hounding of Milne about something to do
> > > with Aesop's fables.  Does anyone remember that one?

> > I might... but even more telling was Mr Milne's unsupported and
> > egregiously bad translation of 'ergazomai'.

> Might that be ersatz omai then?

[dialect humor alert!]

It moight, Rrrabbit... it moight.

DD

1. Long-time Doomer/lurker goes public with a plea.

I can't take it anymore.  I've been politely lurking here for a
*ridiculously* long time (this isn't the easiest act to walk into <g>)
but I cannot do so any longer.

I've listened to Gary, Hyatt, Yourdan, Tom Benjamin and Milne, et al
and heard, understood and believed.  I've been loyally and stalwartly
reading Mr. Kozierok's List since its inception and would be _ready_
for Y2k if certain Fates had left me to my own devices.  I've even
read most of the Polly posts and been reminded of the nausea of
ptomaine poisoning . . .  :P

I'm a doomer and always have been.  I remember, in '81, asking a COBOL
programmer what would happen when '99 changed to '00 and feeling a
then-unexplained chill when he said, "Oh, Hell, NO ONE will be using
this stuff by _then_."  I tried, I WANTED to believe him until about
'93 when I started reading about Y2k again while still lodged in the
affluent and apparent Happy Faceness of the Silicon Valley.  Well,
folks, I knew it was BS then and I know it is now.  We're in for some
Grade AAA Prime $#!+.  Whether it happens on 01/01/00 or during the
months thereafter, domino style, It's Coming.  I'm not a programmer
but I was fortunate enough (or unfortunate, depending on who you ask)
to have two full years, 24/7, to devote to Y2k research (starting in
'96 and continuing) and Csy2k was only one of the sources I read on a
daily basis.

Now here's my plea:  having been through some of the most bizarre life
experiences you'd ever want to wish on anyone, including even -beeks-
<g>, I find myself stuck in a city(!) _*>WAY<*_ too close to Y2k.  I'm
trying to remain calm, but I need someplace to go.  I'm looking for a
place, a house (hopefully), to rent in the Pollock Pines/Placerville
area of N. CA and points further (any direction) as long as it's at
least somewhat remote.  Puhleeeeeezze, does anyone have a rental up
there to offer to a mature prepper?

Hey, it *could* happen . . .  way stranger things have happened!
That's why we're _in_ this mess.  :)

Thanks for the bandwidth, guys.

Returning to Lurkville, probably,
V.
<donning flame-proof suit and praying for serious offers in email>
--
  _______________________________
 /______________________________ \

   \ \ \________________________\_\ \
    \ \/_____________________________\
     \_______________________________/
      ICQ: 11165572     AIM: VeeZults

2. Help selecting the right database.

3. Conversation with a Long-Time COBOL Programmer

4. newbie question - default font size

5. Kinda off topic : timeline 20001/1/1 to 2000/1/15 for comments (long)

6. Memory Chips

7. Comments on IID - A Brief History (Long)

8. Native AD mode and Realtionship with other NT4 domains

9. New York Times y2k panic article. Comments welcome.

10. UNIFACE Import taking a long time...

11. It's been a long time coming