Terminology question

Post by G?ra » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 17:05:00

Hi

It is common to perform some kind of feasibility study prior to many
development projects. One objective to this is to determine if a
development project should be initiated or not.

My question is if the term "prestudy" is a correct word for this study
phase. It's a rather straight forward translation from Swedish but I
can't find the word in any glossary. So I guess that the word
"prestudy" is not a correct word... but what should I use instead? Is
it "feasibility study"?

Terminology question

Post by John » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:20:45

We or I have termed them Feasibility Study(s) for years. Often with a prototype
as a working, or near working model. imho, pre-study is close enough. :-)
John. Oh, btw in US-TX. do not know how others term such other places on
the planet. :-)

>Hi

>It is common to perform some kind of feasibility study prior to many
>development projects. One objective to this is to determine if a
>development project should be initiated or not.

>My question is if the term "prestudy" is a correct word for this study
>phase. It's a rather straight forward translation from Swedish but I
>can't find the word in any glossary. So I guess that the word
>"prestudy" is not a correct word... but what should I use instead? Is
>it "feasibility study"?

Terminology question

Post by Willia » Sun, 20 Oct 2002 01:10:06

Quote:> Hi

> It is common to perform some kind of feasibility study prior to many
> development projects. One objective to this is to determine if a
> development project should be initiated or not.

> My question is if the term "prestudy" is a correct word for this study
> phase. It's a rather straight forward translation from Swedish but I
> can't find the word in any glossary. So I guess that the word
> "prestudy" is not a correct word... but what should I use instead? Is
> it "feasibility study"?

"Feasibility study" would do. This might include a "cost-benefit
analysis" (to determine if the return on investment will offset
the cost of development) and a "proof of principle" demonstration
(a simplified demo project that shows what you intend to do is
possible - this might be just a few key functions strung together,
or a mock up of a user interface with "canned" data). -Wm

Terminology question

Post by Andrew Gab » Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:53:07

Pre-study is not a common word. These are often called feasibility
studies (as you say), project definition studies (when there is a
high probability that the project will go ahead, the question being
in which direction) or even business case analysis in some
circumstances (particularly when money is the prime issue).

Andrew

--
[Canberra 14-18, 21-25 Oct Ph:02 626-55941, AH:02 6297-5531]
Andrew Gabb

phone: +61 8 8342-1021, fax: +61 8 8269-3280
-----

1. Testing terminology question

What can you tell me about the terminology which is described as
"point to point"  testing vs. "end to end".
Educated guesses are acceptable.
I have not been able to find anything like this yet in my reading on software
testing. Posted by Fred Kluss.

2. Applying Plug and Play (PnP) drivers on windows2K CD-ROM

3. Terminology - Industry Standards

4. New Computer Architecture

5. Course of English (computer terminology)?

6. Free $99.00 Software

7. looking for date terminology

8. RAD terminology

9. help-terminology

10. kilobyte, megabyte (was: Silly ISO terminology)

11. Technical Terminology Thesaurus

12. image map terminology