Is that you Mister Dwarf?

Post by Voyage » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 07:31:36

The Joys of * 'Boots-Only' Hiking

http://www.veryComputer.com/,2763,1013239,00.html

" The Tilley Hat has lent me a subtle air of insouciance and lan
which has hitherto eluded me," said one of the testimonials tucked
inside my rather lovely new Tilley Hat (41.99 from Field and Trek of
Brentwood, Essex). This was reassuring as just then, standing * in
Epping Forest apart from the hat, a stout pair of newly acquired
Meindl Borneo trekking boots (115 ditto) and a thick pair of woollen
socks, I was having a definite insouciance crisis."

But where's the kite I say?

Is that you Mister Dwarf?

Post by docdw.. » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:02:12

>The Joys of * 'Boots-Only' Hiking

>http://www.veryComputer.com/,2763,1013239,00.html

M Bernier, how very economical of you... a single posting combining both
* men *and* matters of tawdry finance.

DD

Is that you Mister Dwarf?

Post by Voyage » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 08:11:36

> M Bernier, how very economical of you... a single posting combining both
> * men *and* matters of tawdry finance.

Me motha has Scottish ancestors. No offense Dave!

Here's a crotch story:

http://www.veryComputer.com/

How droll, reallly!

Now, some real fun:

A  plane was shot down over Iraq and Saddam Hussain captured a
Scotsman,an Englishman and an Australian. Saddam says "I'm not as
cruel as George Bush says I am You will be given 50 lashes each but
you can have whatever you want on your back"

The Australian goes first and asks for the finest Kangaroo hide there
is to cover his back. This is granted and he receives the kangaroo
hide before he receives 50 lashes. His back is all torn and bleeding
but he survives.
The Englishman says "I will take it as it comes I will have nothing on
my back and will be proud to bear the scars" he shouts defiantly"Stiff
upper lip you know eh what" His wish is granted and he receives his 50
lashes, his back torn and bleeding, his ribs fractured and protruding,
a terrible mess to behold.
"Now Jock It's your turn you have the same choice as the other two
what would you like on your back" says Saddam.

Jock replies quickly and without hesitation "I'll have the Englishman"

Is that you Mister Dwarf?

Post by docdw.. » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 09:38:48

>> M Bernier, how very economical of you... a single posting combining both
>> * men *and* matters of tawdry finance.

>Me motha has Scottish ancestors.

"This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's
side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else
to sustain them." - R. A. Heinlein

DD

Is that you Mister Dwarf?

Post by Voyage » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 08:09:08

> "This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's
> side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else
> to sustain them." - R. A. Heinlein

Da? Deutsche sich immer beschweren, ist irgendwie, alter Biskuit weithin bekannt!

Greta Von Brust

Is that you Mister Dwarf?

Post by docdw.. » Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:45:09

>> "This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's
>> side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else
>> to sustain them." - R. A. Heinlein

>Da? Deutsche sich immer beschweren, ist irgendwie, alter Biskuit weithin bekannt!

Sequiturs are bourgeois.

DD

1. Wow, I am glad that I am not responsible for any more PC's.....

8  months ago I went around the company and got things "up to s-2 for office
and installed the current Y2K patches"
A couple months later I heard of a blitz of patches that needed to be
installed...that would come out soon.  Many people suggested to wait until
December 1999 till the patches get all cleaned up.

So this month I start (over) on making sure the PC's software is up to
date....

Complements to the MS product analyzer as it makes a great summary of what
is not compliant with links on how to fix it.

My problem is that  Dec 21 I ran it on a particular PC and I get a ALL
compliant printout....
office 97 (windows and all installed components OK)

Then today I happen to be on another computer and I see that EXCEL had a
patch PENDING !!!!\
up to speed as I thought!!!

Wow, I am glad that I am not responsible for any more PC's.....

I have a really hard time understanding  why this couldn't have been taken
care of in some prior patch. Hell office 97 has been around for at least 4
years....people knew of Y2K. Now there are patches up the ass from jet
databases to service pack2a.

.... I expect that all of these patch installs will introduce instability
into the once stable system......(most 95/98 clients used to only reboot 1x
in 15 days and that is because I have to remind them to)

ALSO....why cant there be overall patches continuing off of
sr2 --->sr3---->sr4 .... etc to infinity....

Can we expect a SR3?....hopefully one that is cumulative, one that
understands if outlook 98 is installed?

I respect MS for bringing computers to the mainstream, and I understand that
computing wouldn't exist as it is today without them.  I am disappointed in
their increasing problems and patchs / stability etc...
And I really hope that new op systems like Windows 2000 become more
reliable......

Concerned
Quinn

2. Software Programmer Wanted...

3. I am damned if I do, and I am damned if I don't

4. Install window too small/freezes

5. Help with RED DWARF virus please

6. Catalog of compilers, interpreters, and other language tools [p1of5]

7. Miss Dwarf will not be pleased!

8. copy config with TFTP

9. A Dwarf's dream!

10. Herr Dwarf, bitte!

11. (OT -- Completely way, way off-topic) Doc Dwarf vote

12. Doctor Dwarf Takes A Bath

13. Y2K Senate committee -- and Hank, the Angry Drunken Dwarf