Thinking of going all iMac

Post by goonsqu » Wed, 23 Jul 2003 05:54:05

I'm thinking of shifting from PC to iMac and wanted to get a feel for
whether people think it's a sensible plan, or whether the consensus is
to just buy a better PC.

I'm a PC musician doing MIDI + audio loops stuff. I'm not a computer
boffin, I just use what I need to hack and mix my tunes (VST, ReCycle,
SoundForge - that kind of thing). I have an AKAI S2000 sampler (what
an old workhorse), a Yamaha CS1x and an Akai D12 digital hard disk
recorder.

My PC is an old goat of a thing and well up for retirement (Pentium
II, 350 Mhz with 194MB RAM, 4GB hard drive - mmm, the storage) plus a
SCSI linked Iomega ZIP100 drive.

It's always been remarkably stable, but I'm running out of ways to
keep hard drive space alive and it's just not up to processing what I
want it to when I'm running audio and MIDI in VST. I've been thinking
about getting an iMac superdrive just because it's way more powerful
and has DVD-R - which I'd like to experiment with for music+video
combis. My main reservation with going to a Mac is cost. I get the
feeling that to get a new iMac and use it for the same music work that
I do on the PC will cost me a fair bit in 'extras' (soundcards, new
software etc).

Any advice from people that have done similar and regretted it/loved
it? Help me make the right choice - go on, you know you want to.

goonsquad

PS I'd like to spend about 1,500 on the new 'computer' and 'extras' -
whatever that turns out to be. Also, I'm really keen to lose the hiss
that I currently have to deal with from the SB Live soundcard I use -
that really is a pain.

1. I think we are going to make it

Conductor Milne, ticket for one, please, for the Flaming Death Train from
Framingham to Club Dead.

Frank Ney  N4ZHG  WV/EMT-B  VA/EMT-A  LPWV  NRA(L)  GOA  CCRKBA  JPFO
Abuses by the BATF  http://www.access.digex.net/~croaker/batfabus.html
'[H]uman error, bungling, and pre-emptive clumsiness will cause more damage
than the Y2K bug itself."     -  Ron Martell

2. Help Setup

3. y2k newsarticles going, going, gone?

4. (Off-topic) 5/5/2000

5. Well PC hardware trouble, i think it is that, what do U think?

6. Jti And Service Pack 3

7. If you still think Y2K is BS... think again.

8. !! SAP OPPORTUNITIES U.S. Nation Wide

9. I have a problem with an iMac.

10. IBM ViaVoice Mac Millennium Edition on new iMac

11. imac viavoice "buzz"

12. PowerSecretary and the iMac

13. Ergonomics of IMac Mouse