PSU wattage??

Post by Randy Olso » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

HI!
I know I must replace my power supply unit in my Dell Precision 486/33
which was upgraded to a 486dx66Mhz with a larger H.D and an AMD cpu last
year. Some people have told me to put a power supply unit (PSU) that is
250watts or greater, but when i see Dell's proprietary PSU it states
it's 224 watts.  If I put in a 250 or greater watt PSU, will my system
be damaged???  I also want more suggestions on PSU brand names and
sources.
I want the fan to be trustworthy.
Thank YOU

PSU wattage??

Post by Patrick Keena » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Randy,
 The amperage output indicates what amount of current can be 'pulled'
from the power supply.  It's not a case of the PSU 'pushing'  too much
current and damaging the system.

 This is very different from voltage, which would definitely damage your
system were it too high, but, I'd be surprised to see you get a power
supply like this - definitely non-standard and not for use in a PC.

It sounds more like the issue is getting a supply that fits the case, if
it is 'truly proprietary' the shape is not standard, and you'll have a
hard time finding one.  You may have to get an original replacement part
from the manufacturer.

 For myself, I've found it almost cheaper to replace the entire case and
power supply at one time.  In Toronto, a case with 250 w PS is about
CDN$100. PSU alone can be about $80, and it's sometimes a (literal) pain
to replace.   But if the PSU is custom, the motherboard dimensions may
be too, so no part-swaps may work easily.

--
Thank You,
Patrick Keenan