"Imagination" or "Worlds Away"?

Post by C. David Lumb » Sun, 29 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there are any real differences
between the Online services "Imagination" and "Worlds Away".  From what
I've read, both enable the participants to create cartoon-like
characterizations of themselves and move them about the *-world
created by the on-line service.  Both also allow the users to chat with
one-another in a chat-room like setting, but these are different in that
an actual cartoon-like person is talking with another cartoon-like person.
This was appealing to me when I first heard about it, and now I want to know
more.

From what I've read, "Worlds Away" is very restrictive -- not letting users
use foul language or harass other users...  This might be desirable to
many users.  It is run by a Japanese company called Fujitsu, or something
(which has a really nice Home Page, by the way).

"Imagination" is run by the American based company, Sierra -- the makers of
the King's Quest series and the Battledrome games, among other things.  From
what I've read, the on-line service allows users to enter different buildings
for learning, referencing, chatting, * conversing, and even *
(there's a * in this one).  Like the other one, it allows users to
select a combination of cartoon-like images of themselves.  I don't believe
that this one is monitored, though.

Has anyone heard or used either of these services?  If so, what are your
general impressions?  It's tough for me to "get into" on-line discussion
groups mainly because they are text-based.  Making them graphics based is
a nice twist that should liven things up a little.

It would be an _enormous_ aid to me if someone who has had experience in
these things were to respond.  Your information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

C. David Lumba

"There is only _one_ truth; the rest is just testimony." - Me

"Imagination" or "Worlds Away"?

Post by Jessica Renn » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Has anyone heard or used either of these services?  If so, what are your
>general impressions?  It's tough for me to "get into" on-line discussion
>groups mainly because they are text-based.  Making them graphics based is
>a nice twist that should liven things up a little.

>It would be an _enormous_ aid to me if someone who has had experience in
>these things were to respond.  Your information is greatly appreciated.

>Thanks!

>C. David Lumba

>"There is only _one_ truth; the rest is just testimony." - Me

I've Never used World's away, but i was on the Imagination Network for 3 years.
 They do have "Community Standards" So you can't broadcast obscenity or
anything like that (but that's common sense).  There is a section called *
land that has Personal ads, * Games, and a chat room area called Lefty's
Bar where you can play other games as well.  There is a Volcano that has
several role playing games.  There is also Sierraland ( I don't know if it is
still called that or not)  This has more games, such as Yatzee, Boogers,
Drawing, etc.  The Clubhouse is another section.  There are bullitin boards,
chat rooms, conference rooms, board games such as backgammon, chess, checkers,
and card games like hearts and spades.  The Bullitin boards are patrolled by
sysops and they do not allow Obscenity.  I believe that all of the areas have
NTN Trivia, but there is also a room in the clubhouse called Trivia Haven that
has user run trivia games (if your interested in that look up INNThalia)  The
Sysops and hosts are relativly Nice...   If you have any other questions, let
me know.

-----
Jessica Renner

"Imagination" or "Worlds Away"?

Post by Jessica Renn » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I forgot... Imagination network can be reached at 1-800-imagin1.  They are no
longer run by Sierra unfortunatly.  AT&T bought the Imagination Network and
instituted a huge rate hike which is why i'm no longer there.