Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Ryan Souli » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

This may not be the right place to post this, but this group would
probably know the best.  I'm looking for a university graduate school
to attend in '97.  I am currently a senior in Computer Engineering at
Utah State University.  I would like to go to a school that is pushing
the limits of current technology and theory.  The software industry
always seems to be playing catch-up to the market and the hardware.  It
would be nice to be involved in an applied research project.  I would
also need some form of assistantship to be able to afford it.  My top
choices so far are:

* University of Michigan
* Arizona State University
* Portland State University
* Colorado State University
* Purdue
* Stanford University
* MIT

If anyone has any suggestions they would greatly appreciated.

Ryan Soulier

http://www.teacherlink.usu.edu/~rsoulier/

      -T.S. Eliot

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Ray Taye » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> ... My top
> choices so far are:

> * University of Michigan
> * Arizona State University
> * Portland State University
> * Colorado State University
> * Purdue
> * Stanford University
> * MIT

Being a native, I would add CalTech to the list and maybe UCLA.
Ray

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by daved.. » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> This may not be the right place to post this, but this group would
> probably know the best.  I'm looking for a university graduate school
> to attend in '97.  I am currently a senior in Computer Engineering at
> Utah State University.  I would like to go to a school that is pushing
> the limits of current technology and theory.  The software industry
> always seems to be playing catch-up to the market and the hardware.  It
> would be nice to be involved in an applied research project.  I would
> also need some form of assistantship to be able to afford it.  My top
> choices so far are:

> * University of Michigan
> * Arizona State University
> * Portland State University
> * Colorado State University
> * Purdue
> * Stanford University
> * MIT

> If anyone has any suggestions they would greatly appreciated.

All of the schools that you listed are fine schools.  My opinion (very
subjective) is that Stanford, MIT and Carnegie-Mellon have the best
research programs in Computer Science; however, that does not mean that
they would be the best schools for you to apply to.

If you are not sure what area you would like to do research in, make
sure that you go to a school with a large department that has a variety
of research programs.  This will give you plenty of opportunity to look
around.

If you already have a research specialty picked out, then you might want
to try looking into a smaller school which specializes in your area of
research.  Your professors at Utah State should be able to help you find
these schools.

Hope this helps.

-- Dave Jones

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Jerry Mea » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> > This may not be the right place to post this, but this group would
> > probably know the best.  I'm looking for a university graduate school
> > to attend in '97.
> >[...]
> > If anyone has any suggestions they would greatly appreciated.

Here is a ranking of the top CS graduate programs (1996 version):

   http://www2.USNews.com/usnews/fair/gcompsci.htm

I would suggest checking out information on various departments by
visiting their departmental home pages.  These home pages should give
you access to info on faculty size, research interests, etc.  You may
even be able to apply from the home page.

Here is a link to a list of college and university home pages:

   http://www.clas.ufl.edu/CLAS/american-universities.html

Good luck with your search and application.

jerry

Computer Science Department   URL:    http://www.bucknell.edu/~mead
Bucknell University
Lewisburg, PA 17837

        "Mistrust all enterprises that require new clothes."
                A Room with a View -- E.M. Forster

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Tim Behrendse » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

On Sunday, July 07, 1996, Ray Tayek wrote...

> > ... My top
> > choices so far are:

> > * University of Michigan
> > * Arizona State University
> > * Portland State University
> > * Colorado State University
> > * Purdue
> > * Stanford University
> > * MIT

> Being a native, I would add CalTech to the list and maybe UCLA.
> Ray

Southern Cal is supposed to be good, and they have the
best looking girls in the world.

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by hassan monu al » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

[...]

If you are looking for applied research consider Stanford, Berkeley, UCSD,
UCIrvine, UCSB. If you want more theoretical work, look at MIT and Caltech.

I beleive they all have TA and RA ships.

: *****************************************************************
: Ryan Soulier

: http://www.teacherlink.usu.edu/~rsoulier/

: "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
:  Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"
:       -T.S. Eliot

--
Hassan Alam

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Ryan Souli » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Southern Cal is supposed to be good, and they have the
> best looking girls in the world.

Don't think my wife would be too big on that one then ;-)

Post by Dan Tru » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> On Sunday, July 07, 1996, Ray Tayek wrote...

> > > ... My top
> > > choices so far are:

> > > * University of Michigan
> > > * Arizona State University
> > > * Portland State University
> > > * Colorado State University
> > > * Purdue
> > > * Stanford University
> > > * MIT

> > Being a native, I would add CalTech to the list and maybe UCLA.
> > Ray

> Southern Cal is supposed to be good, and they have the
> best looking girls in the world.

As a alumnus of the 'SC computer science department, I thank you for the
complement. And, yes, we do have the best looking girls in the world. A
pretty good looking football team, too :{).
--

Delco Electronics Corp            (* Software Engineer - Not a DE spokesman *)
I've always thought of "Good Morning" as an oxymoron.

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Stephen Blo » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>> This may not be the right place to post this, but this group would
>> probably know the best.  I'm looking for a university graduate school
>> to attend in '97.  I am currently a senior in Computer Engineering at
>> Utah State University.  I would like to go to a school that is pushing
>> the limits of current technology and theory....

One of my students just asked me a similar question, and I referred him
to the Computing Research Association's Web site, "http://www.cra.org/",
and in particular to its annual survey of Ph.D.-granting CS departments,
at "http://www.cra.org/NRCStudy/".  The CRA top page also contains links
to a whole lot of CS departments' pages, most of which list their
faculty areas of interest and useful stuff like that.

--
                                                 Stephen Bloch

                                         http://www.adelphi.edu/~sbloch/
                                        Math/CS Dept, Adelphi University

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Amy Bierman » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

:>

:> > Southern Cal is supposed to be good, and they have the
:> > best looking girls in the world.
:> >
:>
:> As a alum
:> complement. And, yes, we do have the best looking girls in the world.
:> A pretty good looking football team, too :{).

Great.  I guess I should transfer now, since I think more of myself
than to have a C.S. degree from a school known for its "best
looking girls".

And you wonder why there are fewer _women_ in computer science....

amy!

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Taed Nels » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

There are a lot of "good" schools for grad CS.  What you may want is what
  other CS people consider to be "respected and great" schools.  Of course,
  each has its specialty.

My personal list would include:
        Carnegie-Mellon
        Cornell
        MIT
        Stanford
        University of California at Berkeley

These are also very hard schools to get into.  Don't just look at "great"
  schools, look at schools that focus on what you're really interested in.
  For me, it was architectures, so I ended up going to UIUC.

But these are great for computer science.  If what you really want is to
  become a great engineer, then I would certainly include Renselear
  Polytechnic Institute (RPI).

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Matt Albrigh » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> > Southern Cal is supposed to be good, and they have the
> > best looking girls in the world.

> Don't think my wife would be too big on that one then ;-)

Carnegie Mellon it is, then!  Tied for first in US News and World Report,
and I'm *sure* no one would claim that CMU has the best looking girls in
the world...

matt
(yes, I'm an alum)

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Neal Richte » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> > choices so far are:

> > * University of Michigan
> > * Arizona State University
> > * Portland State University
> > * Colorado State University
> > * Purdue
> > * Stanford University
> > * MIT

> > If anyone has any suggestions they would greatly appreciated.

I've also heard GREAT things about U of Illinois-Urbana

* Software Integrators Inc.   | 800-547-2349 (toll free)   *
* 104 East Main Street        | 406-586-8866 (voice)       *
* Suite 206                   | 406-586-9145 (fax)         *
* Bozeman, MT 59715           | 406-586-9610 (bbs)         *
*           WEB PAGE -> http://www.si87.com                *

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Danny R. Faug » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>But these are great for computer science.  If what you really want is to
>  become a great engineer, then I would certainly include Renselear
>  Polytechnic Institute (RPI).

If you want to be an engineer, why not get a degree in software
engineering?

[Followups redirected.]
--
Danny Faught -- HP-Convex -- Software Test Alchemist
"Everything is deeply intertwingled."  (Ted Nelson, _Computer Lib_)

Good CS graduate schools?

Post by Tim Behrendse » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

On Wednesday, July 10, 1996, Amy Biermann wrote...

> :>

> :> > Southern Cal is supposed to be good, and they have the
> :> > best looking girls in the world.
> :> >
> :>
> :> As a alum
> :> complement. And, yes, we do have the best looking girls in the world.
> :> A pretty good looking football team, too :{).

> Great.  I guess I should transfer now, since I think more of myself
> than to have a C.S. degree from a school known for its "best
> looking girls".

> And you wonder why there are fewer _women_ in computer science....

> amy!

Well, the guys are are pretty darn good looking too, I might add ...
really irritates me.