SEI CMM: Paulk's book vs. TR-24 and TR-25

SEI CMM: Paulk's book vs. TR-24 and TR-25

Post by spams.. » Tue, 12 Aug 2003 02:22:29

I have PDF copies of the SEI documents TR-24 ("Capability Maturity
Model for Software Version 1.1") and TR-25 ("Key Practices of the
Capability Maturity Model Version 1.1")., downloaded from the SEI
website.

There is also a book by Mark C. Paulk et al entitled "The Capability
Maturity Model: Guidelines for Improving the Software Process", which
claims to contain verbatim copies of TR-24 and TR-25, with "additional
information", and costs something in excess of $60.

My question is, is there enough additional material in the book,
beyond what is contained in TR-24 and TR-25, that makes it worth
spending the money to get?

My background is that I am an experienced software engineer, with a
background in regulated industries (medical, avionics, military), but
a newbie at SEI CMM.

Eric

SEI CMM: Paulk's book vs. TR-24 and TR-25

Post by Simon Alexandr » Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:28:31

Quote:> My question is, is there enough additional material in the book,
> beyond what is contained in TR-24 and TR-25, that makes it worth
> spending the money to get?

Hi !

I got the two Technical Report (Model + key Practices) and the book.

The additional materials contained in the book are :

- the introduction points (model structure, use,...) are just a little more
detailed

- there is one case study proposed (Space Shuttle onboard software)

From the KPA & key practices content point of view there's no difference
between TR025 and the book. You'll found exactly the same information, in
the same order,...

In my opinion, if you must implement CMM in your organization it'll be
interesting to buy the book. But if your objective is just to have a good
knowledge of sw-cmm 1.1 both TR are sufficient.

Ps: sw-CMM 1.1 has been replaced by CMMI for SE v 1.1 available at
www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi

Simon ALEXANDRE

Quote:

> My background is that I am an experienced software engineer, with a
> background in regulated industries (medical, avionics, military), but
> a newbie at SEI CMM.

> Eric

1. V: EMU Esi 32, TR 707, TR 606

Hi !
Ich verkaufe :
 ESI 32 Sampler mit 8MB Ram und SCSI Kit,
700 MB Quantum Festplatte intern (ordentlich und reversibel eingebaut)
und Sample Doppel CD EMU Production Soundset Vol. 12
fr DM 1950,-  oder Tausch gegen Akai MPC mit Wertausgleich je nach
Ausstattung.
TR 707 wie neu, mit Anleitung fr DM 400,-
TR 606 sehr gut erhalten (bis auf zwei kleine Ecken wie neu, also
keine Schrammen oder abgescheuerte Stellen um die Potis)
mit Anleitung und D?pfer MSV1 (viertel Jahr alt, 100%iges Timing)
fr DM 600,-
Am liebsten an selbstabholer (Raum K?ln)

Danke !
mfG Peter

2. long delays returning to Index

3. PAris Workshop on Visualization, 24-25 June 1997

4. Couple of SCSI hardware questions...

5. Paris Workshop On Visualization, 24-25 June 1997

6. Trouble getting styles to stick

7. Undervalued y2k solution provider pe 24 assets 25 million Market cap 59 million

8. converting pixels into otherunits

9. Paris Workshop on Visualization of Information & Data, June 24-25 1997

10. Early Bird Registrations for BCS CMSG Conference & Exhibition - 24 & 25 June

11. SEI-CMM introductory books