new CVS repository without import

Post by Liu, Bi » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 06:27:04

Hi,

What is the procedure to create a new CVS repository without
using 'cvs import'?

Thanks.

--
Bin
My true email address has no capital letters.

new CVS repository without import

Post by vlj » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 07:02:57

Quote:> Hi,

> What is the procedure to create a new CVS repository without
> using 'cvs import'?

cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot init

See http://www.gnu.org/manual/cvs-1.9/html_mono/cvs.html#SEC23

VLJ

Post by Liu, Bi » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 02:09:35

>> Hi,

>> What is the procedure to create a new CVS repository without
>> using 'cvs import'?

> cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot init

> See http://www.gnu.org/manual/cvs-1.9/html_mono/cvs.html#SEC23

> VLJ

Actually I know the init command. What I'm asking is after that,
how to setup a directory structure without using import. I recall
reading this somewhere in this NG, which involves a command

"cvs checkout ."

but Google ignores "." in its search, so I could not find the post
easily.

Thanks.

--

Post by Stephen Leak » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 02:20:43

> >> Hi,

> >> What is the procedure to create a new CVS repository without
> >> using 'cvs import'?

> > cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot init

> > See http://www.gnu.org/manual/cvs-1.9/html_mono/cvs.html#SEC23

> > VLJ

> Actually I know the init command. What I'm asking is after that,
> how to setup a directory structure without using import.

You have to use import once, to create the root project directory.
Just import an empty directory. After that, use cvs add.

--
-- Stephe

new CVS repository without import

Post by Jesús M. NAVARR » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 02:59:40

Hi, Liu:

Liu, Bin escribi en comp.software.config-mgmt:

>>> Hi,

>>> What is the procedure to create a new CVS repository without
>>> using 'cvs import'?

>> cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot init

>> See http://www.gnu.org/manual/cvs-1.9/html_mono/cvs.html#SEC23

>> VLJ

> Actually I know the init command. What I'm asking is after that,
> how to setup a directory structure without using import. I recall
> reading this somewhere in this NG, which involves a command

> "cvs checkout ."

> but Google ignores "." in its search, so I could not find the post
> easily.

With that you will check out the "root" of your (empty) repository.  Then
it's only a matter of create dirs and files and then cvs add them and cvs
checkin for their first version.
--
SALUD,
Jess

***

Post by Pierre Assel » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 09:40:50

> Actually I know the init command. What I'm asking is after that,
> how to setup a directory structure without using import. I recall
> reading this somewhere in this NG, which involves a command
> "cvs checkout ."

Was that Larry's trick?  Something like this?

    cvs checkout -l -d dummydir .
    cd dummydir
    mkdir module_name
    cvs add module_name
    cd module_name
    (populate with files)
    cvs add (all the files)
    cvs commit

DO NOT FORGET THE "-l" ON THE INITIAL CHECKOUT or you will get
a monster sandbox of everything already in your repository.

Post by Liu, Bi » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:28:42

>> Actually I know the init command. What I'm asking is after that,
>> how to setup a directory structure without using import. I recall
>> reading this somewhere in this NG, which involves a command

>> "cvs checkout ."

> Was that Larry's trick?  Something like this?

>     cvs checkout -l -d dummydir .
>     cd dummydir
>     mkdir module_name
>     cvs add module_name
>     cd module_name
>     (populate with files)
>     cvs add (all the files)
>     cvs commit

> DO NOT FORGET THE "-l" ON THE INITIAL CHECKOUT or you will get
> a monster sandbox of everything already in your repository.

Yes. That's what I'm after. Thank you very much.

--
Bin
My true email address has no capital letters.

1. Q: How to import a complete project from one CVS repository to another?

I hope this is not a faq: I did not find an answer...

I would like to copy a complete project from one repository to another
in a way that will not disrupt any of the projects already in the
repository and such that the whole history of the cpoied project is
available in the new repository.

Can this be done?

All your helpful comments are wellcome.

Marko
--

http://kiste-5.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/~marko

2. Matrox Drivers

3. importing newer CVS sources into old repository

4. PalmPilot Software for School Teachers, Administration

5. cvs-1.10 -- repository corruption on import?

6. Java update breaks Netscape Java support

7. CVS Create new repository

8. POSE question for Sony Clie

9. problem creating new repository using WinCVS connecting to Linux CVS Server

10. Unable to commit a new file from NT client to a remote CVS-repository

11. cvs [import aborted]: c:\CVS\Master /CVSROOT: No such file or directory

12. Repository Export/Import standards and XMI

13. Synchronizing 2 CVS/RCS repositories vs. Remote Access to CVS pserver