Going retro: pdp11/83 or VAX server 4000 model 300

Going retro: pdp11/83 or VAX server 4000 model 300

Post by MIke Sharti » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I haven't been able to find out a lot about the capabilities of the VAX
400/300.  Is appears to be Alpha based.  Can it run NT ( not that I would want
to on this)?

I may have the opportunity to pickup either of these machines and while there
is actually a lot of info on the 11/83, there was not a lot to be found on the
4000.

In planning for my upcoming mid-life crises, I want to return more to my
computing roots.  I'm really looking to get my hands on a PDP8/e, but it looks
like that may take a long time.   I remember just yesterday seeing them onsale
a Newman Computer Exchange in Michigan (ok, 20 years ago)

Any comments and suggesting will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Post by Zane H. Heal » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I haven't been able to find out a lot about the capabilities of the VAX
> 400/300.  Is appears to be Alpha based.  Can it run NT ( not that I would want
> to on this)?

It's VAX based :^)  I'm afriad I'm not familiar with the model though so
can't give you any exerience.  The VAX is 32 bit, and the Alpha is the
64-bit successor to the VAX.  No, it won't run NT.  It's a VAX, that means
it wants to run VMS, although you could run UNIX on it.

Quote:> I may have the opportunity to pickup either of these machines and while there
> is actually a lot of info on the 11/83, there was not a lot to be found on the
> 4000.

A /83? Sweet!  PDP-11's are great machines and a lot of fun!

Quote:> computing roots.  I'm really looking to get my hands on a PDP8/e, but it looks

Join the club!

Quote:> Any comments and suggesting will be greatly appreciated.

My main comment is don't let the PDP-11/83 pass you by!  Can't comment on
the VAX since I don't know anything about it.

                        Zane

--
One of these day's I've got to quit being lazy and come up with a signature.
<<Yawn>>

Post by Arthur Perl » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I haven't been able to find out a lot about the capabilities of the VAX
> 400/300.  Is appears to be Alpha based.  Can it run NT ( not that I would want
> to on this)?

> I may have the opportunity to pickup either of these machines and while there
> is actually a lot of info on the 11/83, there was not a lot to be found on the
> 4000.

> In planning for my upcoming mid-life crises, I want to return more to my
> computing roots.  I'm really looking to get my hands on a PDP8/e, but it looks
> like that may take a long time.   I remember just yesterday seeing them onsale
> a Newman Computer Exchange in Michigan (ok, 20 years ago)

Just the other day, our DEC (well, Compaq) FS tech told me that some
of his customers still have PDP-8s running. But why a PDP8/e?  Go for
a classic 8, complete with KSR-33 TTY.

Quote:

> Any comments and suggesting will be greatly appreciated.

> Mike

|  Arthur Perlo             phone: (203) 432-5614 |

1. FS: Vax 4000-300

I have a VAX 4000-300 and R400X with:
1 - MS670-BA 32 meg RAM module
1 - TF-85 Tape Drive
3 - RF-72 HDD 1.0 gig
    1 in expansion box
    1 probably bad
1 - RF-31 HDD 381 mg(?)
1 - Customer Hardware Manual
1 - Box 65+ TK85, TK50 Tapes, 16+ DECtape II Tapes
There isn't any cabling
I am considering parts or all depending on responses.
I am not going to sell just 1 or 2 parts. I would like it all gone.
Locally if possible. These things weigh quite a bit and you pay
shipping.

I don't know a lot about DEC so I may not be able to answer all (or any)
questions.
If interested Email request with offer to:

ps Main Unit powers up  and boots to "password" request (using serial
port)
     Did not try expansion

2. QNX , X-1 and UNICODE

3. VAX 4000/300 benchmarks?

4. solutions for PsiWin 2.3?

5. VAX 4000-300 booting error

6. Comparison of IDL and PV-Wave

7. Vax 4000/300 & RA81s ?

8. Discussion Group editing

9. Help! PDP11/83 memory configuration

10. pdp11 83

11. Vax 4000 model 200...which bus and what disks compatible?

12. VAX 4000 Model 60 Storage Limitation?

13. VAX 4000 Model 60 Storage Limits?