Xerox research

Post by Georgios Georgall » Wed, 16 Feb 1994 23:30:35

 I am looking to find any references about the original and pionering work
 done at the Xerox company and have resulted to the Graphical User Interface
 If anyonene knows an articles that discuses the findings of that work, please
 let me know.

 Georgios

Xerox research

Post by Jean Vanderdonc » Fri, 18 Feb 1994 22:48:38

>Subject: Xerox research
>Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 14:30:35 GMT
> I am looking to find any references about the original and pionering work
> done at the Xerox company and have resulted to the Graphical User Interface
> If anyonene knows an articles that discuses the findings of that work, please
> let me know.
> Georgios

There is at least one reference which is well-known :
W.L. BEWLEY, T.L. ROBERTS, D. SCHROIT, W.L. VERPLANK,
Human Factors Testing in the Design of Xerox's 8010 "Star" office workstation,
in Proceedings of CHI'83, pp. 72-77

This other one is less known :
L. GOULD, W. FINZER, Programming by rehearsal, Byte, Vol. 9, No. 6, June 1984.
Long version in Technical report SCL-84-1, Xerox Palo Alto research Center,

Xerox research

Post by Ken L » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 09:04:02

|> I am looking to find any references about the original and pionering work
|> done at the Xerox company and have resulted to the Graphical User Interface
|> If anyonene knows an articles that discuses the findings of that work, please
|> let me know.

Smith, et al, "Designing the Star User Interface", *Byte Magazine*, April, 1982.

This paper lists some references to earlier publications, but those might
be hard to fine.

---

Xerox research

Post by Ashok Gup » Sun, 20 Feb 1994 02:02:45

>>Subject: Xerox research
>>Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 14:30:35 GMT

>> I am looking to find any references about the original and pionering work
>> done at the Xerox company and have resulted to the Graphical User Interface
>> If anyonene knows an articles that discuses the findings of that work, please
>> let me know.

>> Georgios

Look at :-

  The Xerox Star : A Retrospective, by Jeff Johnson et al.
                   IEEE Computer, Sept. 1989, pp 11-29.

and

  Inside the PARC: the 'information architects'.
    by T. Perry & P. Wallich, IEEE Spectrum, Oct. 1985, pp 62-75.

Ashok Gupta
Philips Research Labs, Crossoak Lane, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 5HA, U.K.

Xerox research

Post by Sandra Spir » Sun, 20 Feb 1994 04:26:20

> I am looking to find any references about the original and pionering work
> done at the Xerox company and have resulted to the Graphical User Interface
> If anyonene knows an articles that discuses the findings of that work, please
> let me know.

  Try "The Xerox Star: A Retropsective" Computer Sept. 89, for
  a start.

--Sandi Spires

Xerox research

Post by Gina Lawt » Thu, 24 Feb 1994 07:25:17

> I am looking to find any references about the original and pionering work
> done at the Xerox company and have resulted to the Graphical User Interface
> If anyonene knows an articles that discuses the findings of that work, please
> let me know.
> Georgios

Me too please!
Gina

Xerox research

Post by Roger Spoon » Thu, 24 Feb 1994 22:39:28

> I am looking to find any references about the original and pionering work
> done at the Xerox company and have resulted to the Graphical User Interface
> If anyonene knows an articles that discuses the findings of that work, please
> let me know.
> Georgios

The recent stuff was published in CHI 91 (I think), the papers of
the conference on Computer-Human Interaction.

I think they refer to the original papers.