What color schemes should be used when designing web pages?

What color schemes should be used when designing web pages?

Post by Kamran Mir » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 22:31:54

I'm a student and am currently designing a web site and have to
consider disabilities such as color blindness. can any one give me
ideas of colors and font which are appropriate for this?

thanks

Post by Gregory L. Hans » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:23:50

>I'm a student and am currently designing a web site and have to
>consider disabilities such as color blindness. can any one give me
>ideas of colors and font which are appropriate for this?

>thanks

Nothing wrong with a white page and black print.  If the colors of
background and text are close enough that it could be a problem for
color-blind people, you shouldn't be using them in the first place because
it would be harder for anyone to read.  I'd go with the default font for
most things, fancy fonts are usually pretty annoying.  Step it up a few
sizes if you're worried about people with poor eyes, but they can step up
the size on their end if they like.  Just use HTML the way it was
intended, don't design a page in such a way that it gets broken when
someone changes a feature like font size.  Like one page I visited that
used a table with a single entry to display stupid text, whose sole
purpose seemed to be to set the screen width wider than my monitor so I
had to scroll left, right, left, right to read it.

If I seem like a fan of plain vanilla browsing, that's because I am.  I
consider http://www.veryComputer.com/ to be about the ideal in web page design--
simple, clean, loads fast, works on any browser, it gets me straight to
content/functionality without the *of animations and JavaScript
tricks.

Red/green color-blindness is the most common.

--
"'No user-serviceable parts inside.'  I'll be the judge of that!"

What color schemes should be used when designing web pages?

Post by Jon » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:41:25

Quote:> I'm a student and am currently designing a web site and have to
> consider disabilities such as color blindness. can any one give me
> ideas of colors and font which are appropriate for this?

> thanks

For an extremely authoratitive description and solutions, have a look at
www.btexact.com/people/rigdence/colours

Regards

Jon

--
If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans