Need help interfacing NCR SCSI device to Vax

Need help interfacing NCR SCSI device to Vax

Post by Charles T. Smith, J » Sat, 08 Jun 1991 03:53:12

I have an NCR tape drive (actually, its a Cipher F880 in an NCR box)
with a SCSI adapter.  I want to hook the system to an MV3100;  the
cables don't match.

Can anyone out there tell me were I could get a cable that would work,
or baring that, the pinouts on the NCR SCSI interface so I could
build the proper cable?

Thanks!!

Charles T. Smith, Jr.                       | "Beam me up, Scotty, there's no

gatech!emory!dragon!cts                     |

Need help interfacing NCR SCSI device to Vax

Post by George Robbi » Wed, 12 Jun 1991 21:57:00

Quote:> I have an NCR tape drive (actually, its a Cipher F880 in an NCR box)
> with a SCSI adapter.  I want to hook the system to an MV3100;  the
> cables don't match.

> Can anyone out there tell me were I could get a cable that would work,
> or baring that, the pinouts on the NCR SCSI interface so I could
> build the proper cable?

The connector on the NCR thing should be the standard 50-pin Dual in-line
header connector.  You should be able to get a standard adapter cable
for this, assuming the MV3100 has standard SCSI?

I have one of these NCR adapters also, and would be interested in
getting a copy of any documentation, specifically listing of the
SCSI command set.

--
George Robbins - now working for,     uucp:   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

Commodore, Engineering Department     phone:  215-431-9349 (only by moonlite)

Need help interfacing NCR SCSI device to Vax

Post by joh » Thu, 13 Jun 1991 17:27:12

[stuff deleted]

Quote:>> Can anyone out there tell me were I could get a cable that would work,
>> or baring that, the pinouts on the NCR SCSI interface so I could
>> build the proper cable?
>The connector on the NCR thing should be the standard 50-pin Dual in-line
>header connector.  You should be able to get a standard adapter cable
>for this, assuming the MV3100 has standard SCSI?

[stuff deleted]

Just for info., there are two distinctly different SCSI interfaces, single-
ended and differential.  These are different electrically (voltage levels
essentially), but LOGICALLY are the same.

Make sure your SCSI host is the same (i.e. diff. or single-ended), or you
could a slight funcrional impass (i.e. bang sizzle, sizzle).

Apart from that, there are 3 different connectors, but all have the same
signals.  SCSI A-connectros, B and C.

'A' connectors look crude to modern eyes - not very technical I know, but
    can't think how to describe them.  NCR don't use these anymore.
'B' connectors look like large centronics plugs.  NCR PC925/PC386 use these.
'C' connectors are like miniature 'd' connectors.  NCR System 3000's use
    these.

You can get 'B' to 'C' converter cables - we've got one.

Hope this is of some general use.
--
John A. Oxlade             Phone: +44 71 725-8820      Fax: +44 71 725-8374

DOS and OS/2 Support, SSD
NCR (UK) Ltd., 206 Marylebone Road, LONDON, NW1 6LY, United Kingdom.

Need help interfacing NCR SCSI device to Vax

Post by mark » Thu, 13 Jun 1991 17:22:47

[stuff deleted]
Quote:

>The connector on the NCR thing should be the standard 50-pin Dual in-line
>header connector.  You should be able to get a standard adapter cable
>for this, assuming the MV3100 has standard SCSI?

Standard SCSI, now there's a novel idea :-)

1. NCR Common Trunk to SCSI Help !

Hi,

        Does anyone on the net know about the old NCR proprietary
        Common Trunk Link ???
        I would like to interface Common Trunk equipment to a more
        modern system thru a SCSI or Ethernet link, whatever.

        Any advice is a help

Thanx,

2. Increasing existing drive diskspace

3. Adding external SCSI device to the 68-pin connector on VAX workstation

4. Checking Mail with AppleScript

5. Help Needed With NCR Color Monitor

6. Cd player

7. NCR Tower 1632 help needed

8. WANTED: SCSI interface for VAX 3800, RA-x0 DISK

9. Need help with VAX C & VAX PASCAL

10. DECpc XL 466d2 & NCR SCSI 53c810

11. SCSI disks on NCR Tower

12. Help:Interface devices for the disabled