If you still think Y2K is BS... think again.

If you still think Y2K is BS... think again.

Post by Balam J. Abell » Fri, 12 Sep 1997 04:00:00

For those of you that still think that Y2K is
hype take a look at this article in ComputerWeekly.

http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/news/11_9_97/08598503239/A.html

NY IT blues (excerpts follow)

State halts new projects as report warns of
millennium meltdown

By Liam White

Governor George Pataki declared "a moratorium on
all new technology initiatives which impact an
agency's ability to achieve date compliance".

Both city and State governments must find hundreds
of millions of dollars to tackle the millennium bug...

The city's trouble is compounded by the recent
departure of the head of its year 2000 project
to a job in the private sector...

... expects the city's hospitals to be reduced
to accepting emergency cases only, and schools
to be closed for up to a month. Power supplies
and telecoms are only expected to be available
at half their normal levels, and banks and the
stock market will be shut for up to eight days...

...predictions for New York in 2000

 Electricity supply only 50% available 1-10 January
 Hospitals emergency-only for four weeks
 Schools closed for four weeks
 Stock market and banks closed for eight days
 Telecoms - 50% availability 1-10 January
 Post - 10 days disruption
 Transport (air/rail/bus) - 30 days disruption

Why do I think that they are still
underestimating the whole thing?

Balam

If you still think Y2K is BS... think again.

Post by cory hamasa » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Wow! This is great news, Balam.  We gotta keep tracking this one.
Anyone in NY, yoo-hoo Vik????, please nose around, find out more
details.

Quote:>For those of you that still think that Y2K is
>hype take a look at this article in ComputerWeekly.

>http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/news/11_9_97/08598503239/A.html

>NY IT blues (excerpts follow)

>State halts new projects as report warns of
>millennium meltdown

>By Liam White

>Governor George Pataki declared "a moratorium on
>all new technology initiatives which impact an
>agency's ability to achieve date compliance".

Does this mean,

1. No new projects will be funded.

2. New development projects with line items in the budget will be
cancelled now.

3. New development projects performed by existing staff and
O&M contractors will be cancelled now.

4. In all cases above, the staff will be reassigned to Y2K
remediation, immediately.

I don't think it does but 1-4 are what I would do.  I suspect Gov.
Pataki means 1 and perhaps 2 when it occurs to someone.

I'm eagerly awaiting 4.  I want to see the Pee Cee Wee Nee's moving
the TN3270 cursor on the output from LISTC and double clicking on:

    mylib.asm
    mylib.cntl <-

Quote:

>Both city and State governments must find hundreds
>of millions of dollars to tackle the millennium bug...

>The city's trouble is compounded by the recent
>departure of the head of its year 2000 project
>to a job in the private sector...

Of course, this bailout effect was predicted a year ago.  Why should
a Y2K director take the heat for the guarenteed failure, having his
picture on the cover of the Times as the reason for the food and
transportation riots <whatever, this is a metaphor, OK> when he can
bail to another job and double his salary.  Anyone who stays is
incompetant or stupid. <Altruism isn't the issue, you can easily
find another job that needs to be done but will pay more.>

Bailout effect applies to geeks double.  Denial ended last month,
it's time to rock 'n roll!

Quote:

>.... expects the city's hospitals to be reduced
>to accepting emergency cases only, and schools
>to be closed for up to a month. Power supplies
>and telecoms are only expected to be available
>at half their normal levels, and banks and the
>stock market will be shut for up to eight days...

eight days????  They'll be open, it's just that there will be chaos.

Quote:

>....predictions for New York in 2000

> Electricity supply only 50% available 1-10 January
> Hospitals emergency-only for four weeks
> Schools closed for four weeks
> Stock market and banks closed for eight days
> Telecoms - 50% availability 1-10 January
> Post - 10 days disruption
> Transport (air/rail/bus) - 30 days disruption

>Why do I think that they are still
>underestimating the whole thing?

Perhaps you're not a denial-head?

Quote:

>Balam

Cory Hamasaki

Post by Katy Mulv » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>Wow! This is great news, Balam.  We gotta keep tracking this one.
>Anyone in NY, yoo-hoo Vik????, please nose around, find out more
>details.

The ComputerWeekly article seemed to be confusing New York State and
New York City... what about those of us up in lake-effect snow country
(Buffalo-Rochester-Syracuse)?

Here are some links to stuff on the NYS web (IRM is "Information
Resource Management):

Gov. Pataki's statement:
http://www.irm.state.ny.us/yr2000/govmemo.htm

Governor's Task Force on Information Resource Management
Year 2000 Date Change Initiative
Project Accomplishments
http://www.irm.state.ny.us/yr2000/accom.htm

NYS Government year 2000 coordination/resources page
http://www.irm.state.ny.us/yr2000/yr2000.htm

NYS Date change priority systems
http://www.irm.state.ny.us/yr2000/top45lst.htm

Survey of project managers:
http://www.irm.state.ny.us/yr2000/projsurv.htm
(The page itself has an empty table which presumably was
the survey form. The summary of results from that page:
The top topics identified for 1997 were:
 1) Project Mgmt./Planning
 2) Tracking/Control Mechanisms
 3) Compliance Standards
 4) Vendor Compliance and
 5) Testing Strategies.
Couldn't find the actual results, which are "coming soon".)

Year 2000 information by topic:
http://www.irm.state.ny.us/yr2000/topiclnk.htm

  Katy

--

Software Development Engineer
ORMEC Systems                          http://www.ormec.com

Post by Eric Buckle » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I'm eagerly awaiting 4.  I want to see the Pee Cee Wee Nee's moving
> the TN3270 cursor on the output from LISTC and double clicking on:

>     mylib.asm
>     mylib.cntl <-

LOL, they couldn't pay me enough. Besides there's plenty of y2k work on
the PC platform.

<big snip>

Quote:> >stock market will be shut for up to eight days...

> eight days????  They'll be open, it's just that there will be chaos.

No, really closed. I don't know if they'll go for it but the SIA is
considering a formal petition to the SEC to have the markets offline for
the first week of 2000. The SIA has a pretty good industry wide test
stategy, so I think the real concern is panic in the market.
________________________
Eric Buckley
Comsys Millennium Services
eMail: remove NoSpam from above
Standard disclaimer - I speak for myself and nobody else.

Post by Eric Turne » Sat, 13 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > I'm eagerly awaiting 4.  I want to see the Pee Cee Wee Nee's moving
> > the TN3270 cursor on the output from LISTC and double clicking on:

> >     mylib.asm
> >     mylib.cntl <-

> LOL, they couldn't pay me enough. Besides there's plenty of y2k work on
> the PC platform.

> <big snip>

> > >stock market will be shut for up to eight days...

> > eight days????  They'll be open, it's just that there will be chaos.

> No, really closed. I don't know if they'll go for it but the SIA is
> considering a formal petition to the SEC to have the markets offline for
> the first week of 2000. The SIA has a pretty good industry wide test
> stategy, so I think the real concern is panic in the market.
> ________________________
> Eric Buckley
> Comsys Millennium Services
> eMail: remove NoSpam from above
> Standard disclaimer - I speak for myself and nobody else.

Closed 8 days?  The idea of closing the market would crash the market.
Markets work because they are open.  Stock markets will crash way before
y2k hits on the basis that y2k will hit.  Besides, the debt and currency
markets are much more important than the equity market.  The equity
market is doomed if foreigners sell US debt securities to raise
liquidity levels in their home countries.  You can be assured this will
happen.

ET

If you still think Y2K is BS... think again.

Post by Daniel P. B. Smi » Thu, 18 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I was impressed, then skeptical enough (the Internet being what it is
and the initial post being some kind of consultant's Y2K site)
to follow another poster's link to
http://www.irm.state.ny.us/yr2000/govmemo.gif.
It sure looks like a New York State official web page/memo.

Still being a LITTLE skeptical, I called the phone number on the parent
web page (518 473-5622).  A female voice answered the phone with
something like "IRM office."  Asked her if the memo was authentic.
She didn't seem to be sure, as I continued to describe it she said,
"oh yes, I 've heard something about it... yes here it is... lists
four points...  yes, it's authentic."

I guess I believe it now.  Or someone is being impressively thorough.
Memo is dated July 2nd, by the way...

--
Daniel P. B. Smith

If you still think Y2K is BS... think again.

Post by Rick Cowle » Thu, 18 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I was impressed, then skeptical enough (the Internet being what it is
> and the initial post being some kind of consultant's Y2K site)
> to follow another poster's link to
> http://www.irm.state.ny.us/yr2000/govmemo.gif.

SLIGHT correction on the URL:

http://www.irm.state.ny.us/yr2000/govmemo.htm

It is definately an eyeopener.  At least someone somewhere in government
is "getting it".  BTW - NY State's Y2K website is a good starting place
for governmental Y2K information.
--
Rick Cowles

"Electric Utilities and Y2K -
Partying like it's 1999 or Dancing in the Dark?"
http://www.accsyst.com/writers/ele2000a.htm