Apps on Intel workstations with Alpha Server?

Apps on Intel workstations with Alpha Server?

Post by Darryl Range » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I am doing some research into a new server and network operating system. SO
I have some basic questions to start with. If I run a Alpha server running
NT, does this have any effect on what applications the workstations can run
from the server volumes? The workstations are running Intel processors.

Thanks

Apps on Intel workstations with Alpha Server?

Post by Jim Gesslin » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I assume you are talking about file serving.  In which case the server can
be lots of different things.  Such as:

1) an alpha running NT
2) an alpha running VMS and pathworks
3) an alpha running Dunix and pathworks
4) an Auspex file server
5) a solaris box running samba

etc...

Quote:> I am doing some research into a new server and network operating system.

Post by Steve Lion » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

|>I am doing some research into a new server and network operating system. SO
|>I have some basic questions to start with. If I run a Alpha server running
|>NT, does this have any effect on what applications the workstations can run
|>from the server volumes? The workstations are running Intel processors.

No - files are files.  An AlphaServer makes a great file server for workstations
of any type.
--

Fortran Development               http://www.digital.com/info/slionel.html
Digital Equipment Corporation

For information on DIGITAL Fortran, see http://www.digital.com/fortran

Post by Daniel A. Seagrave » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> > I am doing some research into a new server and network operating system.
> SO
> > I have some basic questions to start with. If I run a Alpha server
> running
> > NT, does this have any effect on what applications the workstations can
> run
> > from the server volumes? The workstations are running Intel processors.

> > Thanks

Yes, it does.  The Alpha will get sick and throw up because it's forced to
be in the vicinity of Insmell chips.  Side effect is that the workstations
will suck and the Alpha will kick ass.