US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

Post by robert » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

From the Dow Jones Newswires.

Robert Folsom
==============
November 15, 1999
Dow Jones Newswires
US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

WASHINGTON (AP)--The U.S. government offered the first public glimpse
Monday of its new $50 million Y2K nerve center, a highly computerized
crisis room near the White House designed to track failures worldwide
caused by the Year 2000 technology problem.

President Bill Clinton's top Y2K adviser, John Koskinen, said the
administration continues to believe there will be no major national
problems, but said its Information Coordination Center will watch for
"some glitches" anticipated during the New Year's date rollover.

"We hope that night will be really boring," said Koskinen, standing
before a glass-empaneled room filled with high-end computers and digital
maps showing global time zones. He called it "the one place in the world
with the most complete information."

The government Monday also began cautioning against panic as people
discover problems during the New Year's weekend, since some non-Y2K
computer failures might simply coincide with the date rollover.

"We'll have failures from time to time whether you have a century date
change or not," said Skip Patterson, who runs the Year 2000 program for
Bell Atlantic Corp. Experts have previously warned of widespread phone
outages if everyone tried to make a call around midnight - what Koskinen
described as "Mother's Day by multiples."

Nationwide almost every day, for example, some Internet sites crash,
electricity temporarily fails or airline flights are delayed. In the
earliest hours of Jan. 1, no one may know whether problems were caused
by the Y2K bug or something else.

"The presumption is to blame all failures on Y2K that weekend," Koskinen
said.

About 10% of all credit transactions fail routinely because, for
example, equipment breaks down or because consumers are overextended or
forget their ATM password, said Paul Schmelzer, an executive vice
president for Orlando, Fla.-based Star Systems Inc., which process about
2 billion financial transactions annually.

He expects those same problems to show up Jan. 1.

"What consumers need to do if they go to an ATM on New Year's Day and
find for whatever reason they can't get service, they should do what
they do today - go find a machine down the block or get cash back in the
grocery store," Schmelzer said. "Let's don't immediately assume we've
got some serious Y2K problems."

The government's Y2K crisis center is hardly a bunker - it's on the 10th
floor of a downtown building just blocks from the White House - but it
includes backup communications systems and entrance guards.

Reports of any problems - rated "minor" or "significant" - will be
shared with the White House and top government officials who will decide
what to do. Information overseas will be fed by the State and Defense
departments and industry groups, starting at roughly 6 a.m. EST Dec. 31,
when midnight falls worldwide first in New Zealand.

A flurry of activity is expected as midnight arrives across U.S. time
zones, with more attention starting midday EST Jan. 2 as employees
worldwide begin returning to their offices - and turning on their
computers - for the first time since the date change.

Koskinen predicted that any hacker attacks could be more easily detected
during the date rollover because computers will be so closely monitored.

A hacker calling himself "Comdext0r" vandalized a Web site at the
Commerce Department late Sunday, warning people to "run for your lives!"
and to "hit your computer's power button and never, ever turn it on
again" because of the Y2K bug.

A spokesman for the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration, the government agency that handles high-tech policies,
said its Internet site was altered about 9 p.m. Sunday but repaired
about one hour later.

Koskinen noted that recreational hackers typically vandalize Web sites
to demonstrate some vulnerability that a computer administrator failed
to fix. He said he was hopeful hackers wouldn't try such demonstrations
during the weekend date change.

"We think they will understand this is not the best time to do that,"
Koskinen said.

Post by JFlexe » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>From the Dow Jones Newswires.

>Robert Folsom
>==============
>November 15, 1999
>Dow Jones Newswires
>US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

>WASHINGTON (AP)--The U.S. government offered the first public glimpse
>Monday of its new $50 million Y2K nerve center, a highly computerized
>crisis room near the White House designed to track failures worldwide
>caused by the Year 2000 technology problem.

>President Bill Clinton's top Y2K adviser, John Koskinen, said the
>administration continues to believe there will be no major national
>problems, but said its Information Coordination Center will watch for
>"some glitches" anticipated during the New Year's date rollover.

>"We hope that night will be really boring," said Koskinen, standing
>before a glass-empaneled room filled with high-end computers and digital
>maps showing global time zones. He called it "the one place in the world
>with the most complete information."

<<snippity-do-dah>>

Of course... nothing is going to happen... we're 90% ready... er... 85%....
er...

well... there's no need to go buy extra rice, or hoard cash...
as a matter of fact... get that money...  go spend a bunch of it...
like $50M on a bunker to monitor an event that will be a non-event...

Quote:>The government's Y2K crisis center is hardly a bunker - it's on the 10th
>floor of a downtown building just blocks from the White House - but it
>includes backup communications systems and entrance guards.

<<snippity-ay>>

ex-cuse me... did I say bunker??? I meant, a guarded room suite of rooms on
the 10th floor...  with emergency systems... (hope they're compliant...)

US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

Post by D. Scott Secor - Millennial Infarction Mitigato » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> From the Dow Jones Newswires.

> Robert Folsom
> ==============
> November 15, 1999
> Dow Jones Newswires
> US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

> WASHINGTON (AP)--The U.S. government offered the first public glimpse
> Monday of its new $50 million Y2K nerve center, a highly computerized
> crisis room near the White House designed to track failures worldwide
> caused by the Year 2000 technology problem.

Last week is was a $40 million Y2k Crisis Center.  I wonder if Clinton kept
the entire $10 million, or if he split it with Koskinen?

Ciao,

--
D. Scott Secor, Year 2000 Institute & Board of Inquiry, Mpls., MN USA
We may all be "toast", but must continue probing the toaster with a

US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

Post by g.k. coope » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>WASHINGTON (AP)--The U.S. government offered the first public glimpse
>>Monday of its new $50 million Y2K nerve center

  Is this considered an economic impact?

  coop

Post by Rob van Wee » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> From the Dow Jones Newswires.

> WASHINGTON (AP)--The U.S. government offered the first public glimpse
> Monday of its new $50 million Y2K nerve center, a highly computerized
> crisis room near the White House designed to track failures worldwide
> caused by the Year 2000 technology problem.

> President Bill Clinton's top Y2K adviser, John Koskinen, said the
> administration continues to believe there will be no major national
> problems

[schnipp]

Right! There is no problem, we just blow another $50 million of your tax
money on a totally unnecessary Y2K nerve center.

Cognitive dissonance if I ever saw any...

Quote:> Koskinen noted that recreational hackers typically vandalize Web sites
> to demonstrate some vulnerability that a computer administrator failed
> to fix. He said he was hopeful hackers wouldn't try such demonstrations
> during the weekend date change.

> "We think they will understand this is not the best time to do that,"
> Koskinen said.

Oooh yeah! I really think that Osama Bin Laden and co. will really
understand that they should not do their funny stuff during the Y2K
rollover. LOL!

--
Rob van Wees
ICQ:  53399389

Post by Bob Broc » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>>>WASHINGTON (AP)--The U.S. government offered the first public glimpse
>>>Monday of its new $50 million Y2K nerve center

>  Is this considered an economic impact?

>  coop

Given the size of the federal budget, it's not a significant one.

Post by Tom Beckne » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>>  Is this considered an economic impact?

>>  coop

>Given the size of the federal budget, it's not a significant one.

Has anyone ever met a government employee or an ex-government
employee that felt otherwise? The ones I know try not to think
about it.

The irony is the president says no problems forseen, but we'll
just spend forty (now fifty) million to keep an eye on things.

As if fedgov doesn't already have assets in place to keep an
eye on things. What a circus.

Tom Beckner

Post by RonKeny » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>>g.k. cooper wrote

>>>  Is this considered an economic impact?
>>Given the size of the federal budget, it's not a significant one.
>Has anyone ever met a government employee or an ex-government
>employee that felt otherwise? The ones I know try not to think
>about it.
>The irony is the president says no problems forseen, but we'll
>just spend forty (now fifty) million to keep an eye on things.
>As if fedgov doesn't already have assets in place to keep an
>eye on things. What a circus.

Economic impact?

~.000006 of GDP.  Not a detectable economic impact.
~$.50 per US household.  Pocket change.  In case of emergerncy, look under the
sofa cushions.
--
RonKenyon

Post by Carl Donat » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Right! There is no problem, we just blow another $50 million of
> your tax money on a totally unnecessary Y2K nerve center.

Worse! Do you think they're just going to shut it down when Y2K fallout
ends? Not a chance: (a) the occupants will do everything necessary to
overstate and extend and muddle the Y2K fallout to keep their jobs
going, and (b) once the Y2K fallout is finally over, they'll redefine
the charter, change the name and eventually turn it into a $50 Billion
annual "national data emergency center".

That sucker will NEVER go away.

US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

Post by Tom Beckne » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>Economic impact?

>~.000006 of GDP.  Not a detectable economic impact.
>~$.50 per US household.  Pocket change.  In case of emergerncy, look under the
>sofa cushions.
>--
>RonKenyon

Ron:

And that's another thing. It's my understanding GDP includes
fedgov spending. Spending goes up, GDP goes up. Another ring
in the circus.

But that aside.

When you say .50 per household it becomes less painful. In
addition, it would have been spent on something else anyway.
And on and on.

Where does it end?

It's still a great country, we are living the dream. As long
as I don't look up things apprear rosey.

It's when I consider the fourty seven percent rent we pay to
live here that I start to wonder what could have been. I want
too much.

Tom Beckner

US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

Post by g.k. coope » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>~.000006 of GDP.  Not a detectable economic impact.
>>~$.50 per US household.  Pocket change.  In case of emergerncy, look under the
>>sofa cushions.

  Taxes are why moms are forced into the workplace. Think about it.

  $50,000,000 is economic and social impact.

  coop

Post by JFlexe » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>  Taxes are why moms are forced into the workplace. Think about it.

>  $50,000,000 is economic and social impact.

I'd rather that money went to solve a problem somewhere... like the five
worst school districts, or funding the construction of a cpl of inner city
day care programs... or forgiving student loans that I keep paying and
paying... (G!)

seriously... If we are comfortable with the gov't simply "blowing" 50M...
I'd rather see it spent on something that will do some good somewhere...

even the average polly should agree that this is money ill spent...  why not
set up a "watch" room in the west wing, or one of those dusty, unused,
obsolete rooms in Norad...  what do you need?  a few chairs, popcorn, TV, a
cpl of cel phones, and a generator...  if nothing happens, fine - pop the
cork.  If all hell breaks loose, nothing will work anyway...

US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

Post by Carl Donat » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >Economic impact?

> >~.000006 of GDP.  Not a detectable economic impact.
> >~$.50 per US household.  Pocket change.  In case of emergerncy, look
> > under the sofa cushions.

Sounds so innocent.

Until you multiply it by 100,000 other "trivial", "no detectable
economic impact" government agencies. Those "pocket change" departments
are sucking away HALF MY INCOME.

Gimme my $0.50 back, I want a Twix bar from the vending machine...and by
buying one I'll do more for the economy than a self-serving government
agency.

Post by RonKeny » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>>Economic impact?
>>~.000006 of GDP.  Not a detectable economic impact.
>>~$.50 per US household.  Pocket change.  In case of emergerncy, look under
>>the sofa cushions.
>And that's another thing. It's my understanding GDP includes
>fedgov spending. Spending goes up, GDP goes up. Another ring
>in the circus.

Some govt disbur*ts are counted in GDP, some (most, if I'm not mistaken off
the top of my head) are not (e.g. transfer payments).  The standard view is
that standard methodology *understates* the value of govt (and other "hard to
measure") components of GDP.

Down-to-earth example: In some quarters, men in a city truck pick up your
garbage and haul it to landfill.  This enters GDP at input cost (men, gas,
trucks).  In other quarters, men in a private truck pick up your garbage and
haul it to landfill.  This enters GDP at market (price of the services billed).
Same genereic garbage.  Same generic men, truck, landfill.  Different GDP.  But
we digress ...

Quote:>But that aside.
>When you say .50 per household it becomes less painful. In
>addition, it would have been spent on something else anyway.
>And on and on.
>Where does it end?

Where did it start?  I thought the topic was "such and such demonstrates the
economic impact of Y2K".  "Economic impact" in this context is a question of
degrees -- too small and it's not "an impact",  too big and it's undeniably an
impact (except to DD), somewhere in the middle it's subject to argument.  [If
the crisis center cost not $50,000,000, but $1, would you still assert it
demonstrates the economic impact of Y2K?  And why that dollar, and not the
$500,000,000 already spent on remediation by your bank or telco, which you pay
for, directly or indirectly, just as surely as death and taxes?]

Somehow we slipped from a claim based on one particular initiative costing your
(average) household a penny a week (3 - 4 orders of magnitude smaller than the
value of foodstuffs discarded by the same average US household the same week
through sheer disinterest), to a claim based on the total cost of government!

Quote:>It's still a great country, we are living the dream. As long
>as I don't look up things apprear rosey.
>It's when I consider the fourty seven percent rent we pay to
>live here that I start to wonder what could have been. I want
>too much.

... and bless us, every one.
--
RonKenyon

US Govt Opens $50 Million Y2K Crisis Center

Post by rdr » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

[...]

>>Where does it end?

>Where did it start?  I thought the topic was "such and such demonstrates
the
>economic impact of Y2K".  "Economic impact" in this context is a question
of
>degrees -- too small and it's not "an impact",  too big and it's undeniably
an
>impact (except to DD), somewhere in the middle it's subject to argument.
[If
>the crisis center cost not $50,000,000, but $1, would you still assert it
>demonstrates the economic impact of Y2K?  And why that dollar, and not the
>$500,000,000 already spent on remediation by your bank or telco, which you
pay
>for, directly or indirectly, just as surely as death and taxes?]

Good points Ron. While $1 could be described as an impact, what we are
trying to talk about is significant economic impacts.

Is $50 mill such?, that may be barely debateable, but let's start doing some
addition here. Obviously all of the states are building something also.
Ohios cost $13 mill. So...  is $10 mill a fair assumption on an avg? x 50
States? Hmmm?

Why... thats half a billion dollars.

Now how about the Air Force's bunker down in AL. I wonder how much that
cost? And all of the other *services* must be doing the same. Hmmm???

And what about each and every major city. Shall I start adding up some
numbers there?

A billion here, a billion there
We're losing billions everywhere.

\iii/