Another $100 million drop in the bucket

Post by Lorne Willia » Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I just heard on the CBC news that the Benevolent Gooberment of British
Columbia has allocated $100 million to fixing Y2K problems in the
health care sector. This is a significant chunk of the $650 million
"new" money for health they have "found".

Good thing they are getting on this now. Six months to go. Should be
lots of time to spend $100 million.

Sheesh.
Lorne.

Post by Steve Dove » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I just heard on the CBC news that the Benevolent Gooberment of British
> Columbia has allocated $100 million to fixing Y2K problems in the
> health care sector. This is a significant chunk of the $650 million
> "new" money for health they have "found".

> Good thing they are getting on this now. Six months to go. Should be
> lots of time to spend $100 million.

Spending it should be no problem.
Spending it wisely is another matter.
Quote:> Sheesh.

I agree.  But it will be a piece of cake if that's Canadian dollars.

--
Are you ready for year MM?
The Mother of all Messes.

Post by Tom Benjami » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I just heard on the CBC news that the Benevolent Gooberment of British
>Columbia has allocated $100 million to fixing Y2K problems in the
>health care sector. This is a significant chunk of the $650 million
>"new" money for health they have "found".

It is probably worse than this sounds. In B.C., the Lord giveth us BCHydro,
but taketh away the Provincial government. Their website is full of cheery
news of systems being ready, but here are three things I don't like:

1) Ontario, Quebec and Alberta are all spending substantially more - by a
factor of at least five - than B.C. on Y2k. According to a Globe and Mail
story, Alberta is spending $200 million on health care alone, Ontario and
Quebec between them are spending $1 billion on Y2k. What did the Globe say
the the budget was in British Columbia, Canada's third largest province? $70
million.

Either everybody else in Canada is crazy to be spending all that money or
British Columbia is crazy for spending almost nothing.

2) Thir* governments were asked to participate in a Y2k roundtable with
the federal Industry committee. Nine provincial governments and three
Territorial governments chose to testify or provide written submissions
about their activities and progress. Guess which Province did not?

3) The only hard information about British Columbia in the committee report
was in health care section. It included this tidbit that the CBC reported.
$100 million was allocated in the 1999 budget to remediate health care
systems. The authorities are confident that the repairs will be completed on
time.

Tom

1. $100 MILLION In Lost Sales From $112 MILLION Hershey SAP-Based System?

--> Snipped From http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/991029/2s.html

FOCUS-Computer glitch haunts Hershey's Halloween sales
(Updates; edits; adds comment from Kroger in 15th graf)

By David Morgan

PHILADELPHIA, Oct 29 (Reuters) - Halloween could turn out to be a real horror
story for Hershey Foods Corp. (NYSE:HSY - news), the leading U.S. candy maker,
whose distribution channels continue to be haunted by problems with a new
computer system, analysts say.

The maker of Hershey's chocolate bars and Kisses, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups,
Kit Kats and Twizzlers has not been able to get all of its Halloween inventory
onto store shelves soon enough to fill the plastic orange jack-o'-lanterns of
trick-or-treaters, who are expected to stalk American neighborhoods on Sunday
evening.

Analysts on Wall Street had expected the gremlin in Hershey's $112 million
order-and-distribution system to be exorcised by mid-October. But now they fear
lingering problems could jinx candy sales through Christmas and maybe even into
Easter.

``This is serious stuff. The fourth quarter represents about 40 percent of
profits, and Hershey could lose $100 million in sales between back to school,
Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas,'' said Merrill Lynch analyst Leonard
Teitelbaum.

The Hershey, Pa.-based company had $4.44 billion in revenues last year.

Most serious is the potential for a 0.5 percent loss in U.S. market share to
privately held Mars Inc. and Nestle SA , as consumers who find store shelves
bare of Hershey products switch to rival brands.

Hershey, which has had no production problems, also must face the potential
costs posed by pallets of undelivered ``Cat 'O' Lantern'' milk chocolate
snacks, Reese's Peanut Butter ``Pumpkins'' and other seasonal goods marketed in
highly decorated holiday wrappers only at this time of year.

The company's computer system, which uses software from SAP AG and Siebel
Systems Inc. (NasdaqNM:SEBL - news), began operating in July. But it quickly
presented the 1,200-strong sales force with a steep learning curve. Managers
are now expected to have the upper hand by the first quarter of 2000.

Industry executives believe Hershey has not been able to fill orders at 100
percent and has resorted to flying some shipments out to keep relations sweet
with key customers such as Kmart Corp. (NYSE:KM - news) and Wal-Mart Stores
Inc. (NYSE:WMT - news).

2. Hard Drives

3. $100+ Million Of Unnoticed Accounting Errors At Y2K Compliant True Value Hardware

4. Writing a C compiler in Java/Jython

5. Media: Alberta govt to spend $100 million on health care Y2K bug

6. "Open" Proxy?

7. INS drops all charges against Indian programmers

8. POP3 connector for Exchange 2000?

9. Most prepared county falls behind, From 40 million to 47 million not counting 5 million.

10. $100 MILLION In Lost Sales Due To $112 MILLION Hershey SAP System? Could Cause

11. Free check-ins or stable check-ins?

12. SAVE $100 FOR NEW DELL HOME SYSTEM !!