Next Direside Flameout, 1 October 1999

Post by blackm » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> No problems on 9 September 1999.

> Next stop 1 October 1999.

Actually, there are some indications that the incoming fleet of
Reptoid Warships
will "arrive" on Sept. 12, 1999, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over
it. It's definitely not y2k related.

--
->->->
 blackmo

1. Next Direside Flameout, 1 October 1999

No problems on 9 September 1999.

Next stop 1 October 1999.

Jim Lord (13 October 1997)
| There are many other potentially problem dates as well,
| however. For example, October 1, 1999 might be a special
| problem because  ...
(http://www.wbn.com/y2ktimebomb/Tip/Lord/lord9741.htm)

Ed Yourdon (14 July 1998)
| On January 1, 1999 they will experience many more, and it
| will be much more difficult to sweep them under the rug.
| On April 1, 1999 we will all watch anxiously as the
| governments of Japan and Canada, as well as the state of
| New York, begin their 1999-2000 fiscal year; at that moment,
| the speculation about Y2K will end, and we will have tangible
| evidence of whether governmental computer systems work or not.
| On April 6, the government of England and many of the
| private-sector companies begin their fiscal year; on July 1,
| another 46 states begin their 1999-2000 fiscal year.  On
| August 22, 1999 the clocks on the GPS satellite system will
| do a "roll-over," resetting to zero the 10-bit counter that
| counts the number of weeks since the satellites were launched.
| On September 9, 1999 we may or may not experience some
| problems with old mainframe systems, depending on which
| experts you listen to. And on October 1, 1999, the U.S.
| federal government begins its new fiscal year.  We don't have
| 535 days to fix all of these problems; we now have less than
| six months.
(http://www.yourdon.com/articles/y2kClintonspeech.html)

Michael Hyatt (12 October 1998
| Milestone #6: October 1, 1999. On this date, the federal
| government will begin its fiscal year.  According to the
| most recent estimates by the House Subcommittee on
| Government Information Management and Technology, thirteen
| out of twenty-four key federal government agencies will not
| make the deadline. Computer systems operated by the Defense,
| Transportation, Treasury, and Medicare Departments, among
| others, will begin malfunctioning. All the smoke and mirrors
| will be gone. The government - and the administration - will
| be forced to admit the truth. There will be no place to
| hide. The naked truth will be evident to all.
(http://www.wbn.com/y2ktimebomb/Computech/Issues/hyatt9840.htm)

Try this link for October 1, 1999 hits  from this newsgroup:
(http://www.deja.com/qs.xp?ST=PS&QRY=%22October+1%2C+1999%22&defaultOp...)

Direside now batting 0 for 6.

    --bks

2. What is wrong with you people???

3. Russia-as of October 21,1999

4. Performance on complex database

5. October 16, 1999 Y2K quotes

6. Possible in a Xilinx PLD?

7. The State of Y2K, Mid-October, 1999

8. REQ: Return of Heracles

9. FEA Consulting (October 4, 1999)

10. I need InfoWorld of October 4, 1999 - will pay $

11. WDCY2K Meeting of 13 October, 1999-long pt.1

12. FEA Consulting (October 4, 1999)

13. The State of Y2K, First of October 1999