Windows2000 thinks I have two OS's installed

Windows2000 thinks I have two OS's installed

Post by ftrobau » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 21:55:02

Greetings,

When I had to reinstall Windows2000, I installed it into a new directory called
c:\WIN2000.  So I have to OS directories: c:\WINNT and c:\WIN2000.  After this,
upon rebooting, I am asked which operating system I want to boot to.  Fair
enough.

For various reasons I won't discuss here, I had to reinstall again.  I deleted
c:\WINNT and its associated "Documents and Settings" directories (the old
install), and put my NEWEST install of win2k into c:\WINNT.

This install was everything I could hope for.  I then deleted c:\WIN2000 and
its associated "Documents and Settings" directories.  So now I have only one OS
on my system.

Now for the question...

When I reboot, I am still asked which OS I would like to boot to--Windows
beileves there are two on my system.  If I select the second one, I am told
that it is missing files.

Where is windows looking and what does it see that makes it think there are to
OS's, and how can I convince it otherwise.

Thanks

Windows2000 thinks I have two OS's installed

Post by Edward A. Feuste » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 20:59:00

Find the boot.ini file on C:

Remove the text line that has the Win2000 in it and save the result as
boot.ini. That will
fix the problem.

Note that boot.ini is hidden and a system file. You will need to remove
these attributes using
the ATTRIB command before modifying. It is good practice to restore these
attributes when
you have changed and saved the file.

Ed

Quote:> Greetings,

> When I had to reinstall Windows2000, I installed it into a new directory
called
> c:\WIN2000.  So I have to OS directories: c:\WINNT and c:\WIN2000.  After
this,
> upon rebooting, I am asked which operating system I want to boot to.  Fair
> enough.

> For various reasons I won't discuss here, I had to reinstall again.  I
deleted
> c:\WINNT and its associated "Documents and Settings" directories (the old
> install), and put my NEWEST install of win2k into c:\WINNT.

> This install was everything I could hope for.  I then deleted c:\WIN2000
and
> its associated "Documents and Settings" directories.  So now I have only
one OS
> on my system.

> Now for the question...

> When I reboot, I am still asked which OS I would like to boot to--Windows
> beileves there are two on my system.  If I select the second one, I am
told
> that it is missing files.

> Where is windows looking and what does it see that makes it think there
are to
> OS's, and how can I convince it otherwise.

> Thanks

Windows2000 thinks I have two OS's installed

Post by Amy Haw » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 06:15:40

BE EXTREMELY CAREFULE DOING THIS!!!

edit boot.ini to remove the incorrect entry.

IF YOU REMOVE THE WRONG ENTRY YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BOOT THE MACHINE.

> Greetings,

> When I had to reinstall Windows2000, I installed it into a new directory called
> c:\WIN2000.  So I have to OS directories: c:\WINNT and c:\WIN2000.  After this,
> upon rebooting, I am asked which operating system I want to boot to.  Fair
> enough.

> For various reasons I won't discuss here, I had to reinstall again.  I deleted
> c:\WINNT and its associated "Documents and Settings" directories (the old
> install), and put my NEWEST install of win2k into c:\WINNT.

> This install was everything I could hope for.  I then deleted c:\WIN2000 and
> its associated "Documents and Settings" directories.  So now I have only one OS
> on my system.

> Now for the question...

> When I reboot, I am still asked which OS I would like to boot to--Windows
> beileves there are two on my system.  If I select the second one, I am told
> that it is missing files.

> Where is windows looking and what does it see that makes it think there are to
> OS's, and how can I convince it otherwise.

> Thanks

1. Need help installing CVS 1.10 on HP OS 11.xx

I am getting compilation errors here are the output:
Or perhaps someone can tell me where I can get the binaries for HP .

......----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------
/tmp_mnt/home2/hhood/cvs-1.10.7
$ make
making all in lib
making all in zlib
making all in diff
making all in src
        cc  -I. -I.. -I. -I../lib -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -g
-c server.c
cc: "/usr/include/rpcsvc/nis.h", line 75: error 1584:
Inconsistent type declaration: "UNKNOWN".
cc: "server.c", line 1410: warning 604: Pointers are
not assignment-compatible.
cc: "server.c", line 1410: warning 563: Argument #3 is
not the correct type.
cc: "server.c", line 4020: warning 604: Pointers are
not assignment-compatible.
cc: "server.c", line 4020: warning 563: Argument #2 is
not the correct type.
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
*** Error exit code 1

2. Help needed linking networks!

3. help on installing two operating systems onto one machine

4. How to make Repair Disks...

5. Shutdown problem after installing second IDE HD

6. Roland R-70 drum machine forsale

7. C linkage triggered on Solaris9/G++ install in Time_Value.h, OS.h

8. The last? of the GREAT wps bugs?

9. Installing RS/1 on Pro 380 with P/OS 3.2

10. installing a second disk in an AST 611s - help needed

11. Installing CVS on a MAC OS X server

12. DECpc: problems installing OS/2 Warp

13. C linkage triggered on Solaris9/G++ install in Time_Value.h, OS.h