exception=1?

Post by TS » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 09:16:00

   TAO VERSION: 1.2.7
    ACE VERSION: 5.2.7

    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
    Solaris 2.8/ gcc 3.2

    AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
TAO compile

    SYNOPSIS:
Advantages/Disadvantages of exception=1 vs. exception=0?

The Quoter example (noticed the message after cleaning the TAO directory),
make printed "...rebuild ACE+TAO with exception=1..."

Is it possible to give some insight/history regarding native exceptions?
Advantages/Disadvantages?  Are non-native simply complex macros with goto's?
Or they in terms of CORBA exceptions? TIA

All the best,
Tim

exception=1?

Post by Douglas C. Schmid » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 10:02:33

Hi Tim,

Quote:>>    TAO VERSION: 1.2.7
>>     ACE VERSION: 5.2.7

>>     HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
>>     Solaris 2.8/ gcc 3.2

>>     AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
>> TAO compile

>>     SYNOPSIS:
>> Advantages/Disadvantages of exception=1 vs. exception=0?

>> The Quoter example (noticed the message after cleaning the TAO directory),
>> make printed "...rebuild ACE+TAO with exception=1..."

Right -- that's just to ensure the tutorial examples use the most
simple/portable CORBA features.

Quote:>> Is it possible to give some insight/history regarding native
>> exceptions?  Advantages/Disadvantages?  Are non-native simply
>> complex macros with goto's?  Or they in terms of CORBA exceptions?

Please see

$ACE_ROOT/docs/exceptions.html

for a discussion of the various issues.  There's more discussion in
the OCI TAO 1.2 Developer's Guide, availble from

http://www.theaceorb.com/product/

Take care,

        Doug
--
Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Associate Professor  TEL: (949) 824-1901
Dept of Electrical & Computer Engineering    FAX: (949) 824-2321

exception=1?

Post by Carlos O'Rya » Sun, 29 Dec 2002 01:21:20

Hi,

>     HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
>     Solaris 2.8/ gcc 3.2

>     AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
> TAO compile

>     SYNOPSIS:
> Advantages/Disadvantages of exception=1 vs. exception=0?

        Usually code generated with exceptions=1 is bigger and
slower.

Quote:> Is it possible to give some insight/history regarding native exceptions?

        Use them unless you really, really, really cannot afford the
extra "overhead."  It will make your code cleaner, easier to write,
read, maintain, etc.  It will also force you to think about error
management :-)

Quote:> Advantages/Disadvantages?  Are non-native simply complex macros with goto's?

        Macros, with a few gotos in the right places.  No long jumps
or something equally *.

Quote:> Or they in terms of CORBA exceptions?

        I do not understand.  Both are written in terms of CORBA
exceptions, however, CORBA does support platforms that lack native C++
exceptions, where the feature is emulated using an extra argument to
each function.  The macros make the code behave more like if
exceptions were in place, poorly, but better than writing the code by
hand.

--

#include <std.disclaimer>
#include <cute.quote> // "Speak softly and carry a megawatt laser"

1. Q? Combining Borland's Sysutils::Exception and Corba::Exception?

Hi Guys, This is a question not a bug.

I am currently using Borland's C++ Builder Version 6 with ACE v5.2.4
and TAO v1.2.4 to build a GUI client that connects to an OpenORB Java
server.

Currently I handle our own user defined exceptions and CORBA
exceptions in the following way.

Some_method()
{
   try {
      ... some remote CORBA operations ...
   } catch ( ...own defined user exceptions... ) {
       // Throw a borland exception which will be caught and
       // handled by the application.
       throw Exception("some message");
   } catch ( CORBA::UserException &e ) {
       // Throw a borland exception which will be caught and
       // handled by the application.
       throw Exception("some message");
   }

Now if I could get the CORBA based exceptions to be recognised as
Borlands Sysutils::Exceptions then I wouldn't have to convert them
and the application would handle them normally.

btw, I'm not hopefull that this is going to be a possible proposition.

I have already attempted to modify the IDL generated code to give
multiple inheritance of the user defined exceptions which I then
promptly found out is impossible to do with the VCL code...

Next thoughts were to attempt to have the Corba::Exception inherit
from Sysutils::Exception or vice versa. Haven't had any success with
that yet.

What I would like to know is if anyone has developed a tactic for
handling Corba based exceptions in a Borland development environment
where they need to co-exist with Borland's Sysutils::Exception? That
is different from my currently described method.

(Hmmm, why did I leave Database development...Uhhnn)

Cheers Graeme.

2. Tierra DOS

3. Fatal exception installing TurboTax CD

4. win98 nat/proxy networking??????

5. Windows95 fatal exception OE on 0137:BFF7971F

6. Schematics standards

7. Need help: Fatal Exception with Iomega Zip Drive

8. a3640 version 3.1 160$

9. 33.6K Modem causing fatal exception error!

10. Exceptions specifications

11. System exception IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE

12. Mixing Native/Emulated Exceptions?

13. MARSHAL Exception thrown (Minor code 1413545984) when push certai n data on notification channel.